NEW USER Contest February 2014 “WIP Thread”

fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

New User's Contest - February 2014
Sponsored by DAZ 3D

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest contest...
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Still Life

This month’s contest is about rendering a Still Life, one of the oldest forms of art.

Objective: Create a Still Life

We will be looking at creativity, composition and the over all theme as presented.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3440/

Here are some sources of information that may be helpful:

DAZ Forum Threads
In the dark about scene composition
Golden Rules of Composition -- this includes a free add-on for DAZ Studio 4.5 or higher as well as examples and tips that are useful regardless of what software you use

Free Add-Ons for various software
DAZ Studio 4.5+: http://www.sharecg.com/v/67783/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Golden-Rules-Camera-Prop-v1
Bryce: http://www.daz3d.com/golden-rules-composition-helpers-for-bryce

Articles on still life and composition in non-digital art and photography
Still Life Photography Tips, Ideas, and Tutorials
The 8 Elements of Composition in Art

Prizes:
This month's contest is being sponsored by Horo and David Brinnen. First, Second and Third Place winners each receive 1 item from either of their stores except Bryce Mentoring DVD. For those new to Bryce, Horo recommends Practical Bryce 7.1 Pro - Volume 1.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Closing Date: February 28th 2014

Post edited by frank0314 on

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Wonderful concept. Thank you.

edited December 1969

Rendered in DAZ 4.6

Comments? Suggestions?

Still_Life_17.jpg
    546 x 772 - 101K
  • Security16Security16 Posts: 79
    edited December 1969

The lighting is good but it looks a little flat perhaps change the setting in the surfaces tab for the lighting models use matte on the wooden parts and metallic glossy for the metal parts on the scales. I hope that helps

edited December 1969

The lighting is good but it looks a little flat perhaps change the setting in the surfaces tab for the lighting models use matte on the wooden parts and metallic glossy for the metal parts on the scales. I hope that helps

Yes it does. Thank you Security.

edited December 1969

Not sure if this is an improvement or not. Comments welcome.

Still_Life_29.jpg
    546 x 772 - 92K
  • Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited December 1969

A little something I thought up that I plan to call, 'Tools of the Trade"

feb2014wip1.jpg
    450 x 600 - 92K
  • bobfisherbobfisher Posts: 0
    edited February 2014

Here is a link to some tutorials on Still Life Photography. I hope you find them useful.

http://121clicks.com/tutorials/still-life-photography-tips-ideas-and-tutorials

Ooops, just realised the link is in the intro, sorry.

Post edited by bobfisher on
    edited December 1969

Some pottery done in DAZ 4.6.

Pottery01.jpg
    800 x 644 - 274K
    edited December 1969

3ch0_419 said:

I like that you are using non-traditional elements. The reflection on the visor of the helmet keeps drawing my eye.

The details in your "tools" are getting lost in the shadows (or it could be my monitor. It tends to make renders look darker than they really are).

Really glad you are trying out the challenge.

edited December 1969

bobfisher said:

Nice choice of background. It really allows the bold colours and patterns of the pottery to stand out.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited February 2014

Little tip for Still renders, this is a trick used by Professional room dressers when doing homes to show for sale.

Triangler arrangements, think height as a element. That can be the middle or either end. The human eye is drawn to that type arrangement and the brain finds it pleasing.

EDIT: And Kismet seems to know that one already.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

3ch0_419 said:

I like that you are using non-traditional elements. The reflection on the visor of the helmet keeps drawing my eye.

The details in your "tools" are getting lost in the shadows (or it could be my monitor. It tends to make renders look darker than they really are).

Really glad you are trying out the challenge.

Thanks for the feedback. I knocked it out in maybe 15-30 minutes to start with, the hardest part was setting up the armor.

I might add another light to help with the details, all that was used this time was a single distance light.

edited December 1969

Added another distance light, and some items to help define who these belong to.

feb2014wip2.jpg
    450 x 600 - 108K
    edited February 2014

bobfisher said:

Nice choice of background. It really allows the bold colours and patterns of the pottery to stand out.
    Thank you, I also added a light blue-green tint to the main light to help bring it out a bit more.

In my youth I did lighting for bands and the occasional fashion show and used that trick often with the follow spot to enhance the colour of the models clothes.

Post edited by bobfisher on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Little tip for Still renders, this is a trick used by Professional room dressers when doing homes to show for sale.

Triangler arrangements, think height as a element. That can be the middle or either end. The human eye is drawn to that type arrangement and the brain finds it pleasing.

EDIT: And Kismet seems to know that one already.

Thanks for pointing that out, also I think I might have cluttered the scene a bit, will try again using the less is more principal.
    edited December 1969

Something I find essential whenever I am setting up a scene is Jaderail's Golden Rules of Composition. There is a thread here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17976/

The Golden Rules Camera Prop can be downloaded from ShareCG here: http://www.sharecg.com/v/67783/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Golden-Rules-Camera-Prop-v1

ShareCG does require registration but is free.

edited February 2014

I'm happy you find it useful Kismet. Now that I have found info needed to proceed Golden Rules version II with dual overlays and more overlays is in the build phase. It will be summer by the release but it will be much improved.

Auto set to render size is already built so the need to set overlay size by hand is now removed.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

@kismet2012: Very good start, and I do prefer the second version, though the difference is fairly subtle. I'm wondering whether it would be improved (not sure if it would be, but I suspect so), with a little bit of fill light coming from another angle...

@3cho_419: I'd like to see some more shadows...do you have shadows enabled, in the light settings? Interesting choice of subject...seems like there's a story there, which is a feeling I usually don't get from still life art.

@bobfisher: I like the lighting and color contrast. Looking forward to see the next version...I think you might be right, with fewer objects it could be a stronger composition.

edited December 1969

@bobfisher: I like the lighting and color contrast. Looking forward to see the next version...I think you might be right, with fewer objects it could be a stronger composition.

Thank you Scott.

A few less props and changed the lighting.

pottery02.png
    800 x 644 - 918K
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited February 2014

Here is something called "Simple Things" done with Daz Studio 4.6.2

Simple_Things.png
    788 x 788 - 646K
    Post edited by MilosGulan on
    edited December 1969

@ gulan7: Very nice. I really like the rich, blue fabric you have used as a backdrop.

@ bobfisher: Much better.

@ scott: I am glad you said something about an additional light. I was considering it myself but was afraid to add one. I need to get over these irrational fears and just try stuff to see what happens. :)

@ 3cho_419: I tend to agree with Scott about the shadows.

edited February 2014

As suggested by Scott Livingston I have added a fill light.

Comments appreciated.

Still_Life_38.jpg
    565 x 800 - 102K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited December 1969

checked the lights and had the dang shadows turned off so here we go.

@Kismet and scott: thanks for the feedback so far.

feb2014wip3.jpg
    450 x 600 - 100K
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,950
    edited February 2014

@ gulan7: Very nice. I really like the rich, blue fabric you have used as a backdrop.

I used Satin Studio 3, only turned it to blue. You can find it here http://www.sharecg.com/v/35897/browse/11/Poser/Satin-Studio-III

We used to do this in school that's why i used chair, only then i was drawing old flowers in a vase.

Post edited by MilosGulan on
  • Mcjam24Mcjam24 Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Well I'm not too sure is still life is supposed to suggest a story or not, but here goes what I've got going on right now....

Contest6.jpg
    800 x 800 - 409K
    edited December 1969

I like!!

edited December 1969

@ 3cho_419: Shadows make a difference.

@ gulan7: Thank you for the link.

@ mcjam24: Why shouldn't a still life tell a story? You are off to a strong start.

edited December 1969

Still tweaking the lighting.

Still_Life_43.jpg
    565 x 800 - 103K
  • Mcjam24Mcjam24 Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Thanks Jaderail and Kismet, here it is again, with a few more details before I get to tweaking...

contest8.jpg
    800 x 800 - 402K
  • spmwcspmwc Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

hello everyone, here is my first attempt at a still life. Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome!!!:)

Samurai_Display.jpg
    846 x 772 - 133K