Daz studio can't be run with elevated permissions, when logged in the Administrator account[Solved]

2»

Comments

•  

What you are referring to as an "Administrator account", is not what Alan bard newcomer and I are referring to.

There are three, primary, account permission levels in a windows operating system.

1. User/Standard type. Lowest permissions, has the most restrictions.

2. User/Administrator type. Elevated permisssions, fewer restrictions.

3. Administrator. Maximum permissions, no restrictions.

In consumer operating systems(7,8,10), the third level is hidden/disabled by default.

In server operating systems(2012, 2016, 2019), this is the default account.

If you enable the third level account, in consumer, and log into it, or you log into the default account in server, with UAC enabled, you CAN NOT run daz studio.

It will always produce the "Cannot be run with elevated permissions" error.

This is, AFAIK, because the UAC token, created at log in, defines the user with the highest level permissions available to the system.

As i said in my other post, it's the equivalent of having the "Run as administrator" box always checked, since you are logged into the account, at the permissions level, this is referring to.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay

Okay ... not using server by choice... win 10, even though it's supposed to install on dual processor machines refused to. 
    Even to the point of where I actually found a MS number and talked to tech support including an arranged call (that I had to wait a couple days for) from a really high end tech section. 
    two weeks and probably 20 attempts failed and even they couldn't figure out why 10 wouldn't install. 
    Picked up server .. one try .. done. 
    "I will no deny ... it was agony having to suffer without a talking voice and the MS store and turning off all the extra crap in home win10' 
    ---
    And since I haven't had to deal on uber levels since JCL and IBM mainframes I missed the fact that the admin I was using was the server admin 
    only that I had to set up a user (which apparently is a admin/user)
    but since all tweaks like giving the system permission  to go online etc have to be done from admim/admin I did not want to have to switch back and forth. 
    But the gist is dim will never run under admim/admin right ... safely. 
    ---
    currently back on 7 due to a crash the took out part of win32 and trusted installer refusing to fix the issues
    would be quite happy on 7 but I need 10 for studio driver which should let me use my tesla card plus the titanx with versions of daz before 420
    --
    but your comments will be a help when I go back to fight with server again

• leo04leo04 Posts: 320

I just ran into this issue.  I am on Window 11 an have been running DAZ since March on this PC.  As of this morning the issue manifested itself.  ALL I have done since yesterday was to log out and shut down. ALL I did this morning was to startup and login.

I have checked the properties and the Run as Administrator is unchecked.

Yes I am logged in as an administrator and have been since I purchased the pc back in March,

I did uninstall Daz Studio and reinstalled it using the DIM program and the problem persistes.

What else could this be.  NO, I will not turn off the UAC as numerous postings on the nternet say you should not do that.

Thanks.

• Windows Key, Search for users and add a new user.

Select the "Users" folder and click "New User"

Fill in the user details

SHIFT + RIGHT-CLICK the executable and select "Run as Different User". Enter the user details you created before.

• email_4807856 said:

Windows Key, Search for users and add a new user.

Select the "Users" folder and click "New User"

Fill in the user details

SHIFT + RIGHT-CLICK the executable and select "Run as Different User". Enter the user details you created before.

• very cool

• Got an A100 on Server 2022 bare metal, co-located.  DAZ wont allow the install as admin, Server won't permit non-admins to install software (DIM keeps going to red [RETRY] )'.  Solution is to use Active Directory to allow users to install software, tried that... now it's complaining that I'm not a member of a Domain... doesn't have a PDC... needs a Dom Admin... I even tried using powershell to remove permissions of Program Files folders.

... so I've given up.  I really shouldn't be this difficult and I cannot find a standalone installer for DAZ Studio.

Now, I know you'll blame this all on my unfamiliarity with 2022.  But I can use Bryce, Blender, Unity, Unreal, Visual Studio and pretty much everything else I need.

So, I disagree.  Daz IS the problem.

Every other company seems to manage just fine with (install for all users) with the installer run as Admin.  Just set the permissions on your files and folders, to allow the Users group!!!  You can do that if your installer is run as Admin.  : /

So I have a new solution, I'm moving away from Daz.

So long and thanks for all the fish o/

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,310

Installing from an admin account is not the same as installing as admin. You should not need to install well-written software as admin, though you will have to allow the installer (DIM Helper if using Install manager) to make changes to the system.