Daz studio can't be run with elevated permissions, when logged in the Administrator account[Solved]

edited September 2021 in Daz Studio Discussion

EDIT: This thread is in relation to users logged into the Administrator account.

For Server os's, this is the default account created on install.

For Consumer os's(since windows 7), this is a "hidden" account.

This does not apply to "user" accounts, even if logged in as an "Administrator" type account.

Ok, Who thought this was a good idea?

Just installed the latest version of DS and apparently since i'm on an administrator account, DS, or dim since the last update, won't run.

Anybody got a quick solution, besides creating a guest/user account and playing musical accounts just to run DS?

Post edited by DrunkMonkeyProductions on

Comments

• It is not because you are using an admin account, it's because you or the short cut are set to run DS as administrator - that's a diffrent thing from running normally in an admin account. Right-click on the shortcut you use to launch DS, select proeprties, in the shortcut tab click Advanced, and make sure that Run as Administrator is not checked.

• sorry richard, but nope that box has nothing to do with it. to be clear it's unchecked.

To clarify i'm running server 08 on this particular system, under the administrator account, as such everything gets installed with admin level rights as UAC isn't in effect and afaik can't really be enabled effectively on an admin account without screwing up other things.

• Ah, if you can't enable UAC then yes you need to use a different account (unless theer's a way to lower the privileges of DS). This was done because a significant number of problems were caused by users sometimes running as admin and thus ending up with files or folders having admin privileges and being unusable on other occasions - nothing the application does needs admin-level access.

• Been digging a bit over the last day+ and only solutions i've come up with are going in the opposite direction, raising instead of lowering privelages.

Like i said in my initial post setting up a guest account and bouncing back and forth isn't a viable option currently.

Based on the reason you presented, sounds more like user error than any issue with the software

I'd be interested in a bit more information on the specific situation that results in an unusable asset due to a file/folder having admin privelages.

Primarily because that's all i've been running for the last 5-6 years and never encountered this type of error.

forwarned is forarmed

• Yes, it was user-error - but it was frequent user error, so the chnage was made for protection.

• Finally found a way around this restriction.

Link to the microsoft kb article:https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk/help/325859/how-to-enable-and-use-the-run-as-feature-in-windows-server-2003

It says server 2003, but it generally applies to most versions of windows.

If you don't want to go to the link, the process is fairly simple.

You will need to setup a secondary user account with a password on it, it doesn't work without a password.

1. Enable secondary logon in services(control panel>Admistrative tools>component services>Services(local)>Secondary logon) set it to automatic or automatic delayed, or you'll have to renable it every time you restart.

2. Left click on icon of DS

3. Hold Shift+Right click

4. Select Run as different user

5. Enter the secondary account user name and password.

6. remap everything in DS. that is, copy the appdata folder for DS4 over to the new user, (x:\users\[name]\appdata\Roaming\daz 3d\Studio4) for the mostpart you'll only need Customactions.dsx(scripts menu), ContentDirectoryManager.dsx(contains your directory mapping to your content) and Layout.dsx(contains your custom layouts). The Appdata folder is hidden by default so you'll need to enable "show hidden folders".

Mine broke, thanks cms, but that's typical for me with ds upgrades.laugh

Figure it was going from 4.9 straight to 4.11. not critical as this system is just for testing anyway.

I haven't found a way to automatically do this, besides questionable software, so you have to go through the process each and every time.

If i manage to find a way to automatically do this without dodgy software i'll let ya know.

• The default location for the CMS database is in the user's AppData folder,

%AppData%/daz 3d/cms/ContentCluster/

so switching profiles will create a new database. I'd intended to say that in the previous post.

• The default location for the CMS database is in the user's AppData folder,

so switching profiles will create a new database. I'd intended to say that in the previous post.

Thanks for that.

I constantly forget about cms as i don't use it for anything, no smart content, or categorization.

I organize on the file/folder level and use link files for organization/categorization.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

The default location for the CMS database is in the user's AppData folder,

I organize on the file/folder level and use link files for organization/categorization.

That's interesting, could you explain a little more about the link files. I think I know what you mean but would like to be sure. I don't use Smart Content or categories either and tend to organise my content in the Windows file system but I end up with copies of (sometimes big) files in several places because that content pertains to, say, a character or architecture but is also a prop. So I'm assuming you are talking about symbolic links but wonder whether you mean hard or soft links and how you create them? I used to work with Unix file systems so the terms are familiar but I'm so very rusty now.

• marble said:

That's interesting, could you explain a little more about the link files. I think I know what you mean but would like to be sure. I don't use Smart Content or categories either and tend to organise my content in the Windows file system but I end up with copies of (sometimes big) files in several places because that content pertains to, say, a character or architecture but is also a prop. So I'm assuming you are talking about symbolic links but wonder whether you mean hard or soft links and how you create them? I used to work with Unix file systems so the terms are familiar but I'm so very rusty now.

Right click on a particular product, or select all the objects in a particular folder via CTRL+A,  in Content library tab, the pop out menu will have an option to Create Link for Asset(s).

When you click on that option a windows explorer will open allowing you to select where you want to put the particular link file.

Click select folder and done. A new DJL file is created.

The resulting file is only one line of code and only takes around 1KB.

This works for both poser, cr2, pp2 etc., and DS files. Comes in handy if you have a pretty big poser library as you don't have to constantly switch back and forth between the format directories.

Couple things to be aware of.

First, don't move the original folder/file it will break the link file.

Second, don't move the link from within daz studio, it will just replicate the original file in the new location, always move in windows explorer.

Third, when selecting multiple items in a particular folder, have the mouse over one of the products when you right click.

I will warn you it can get very tedious going through each directory.

• mackis3Dmackis3D Posts: 44
    edited August 2019

Ah, if you can't enable UAC then yes you need to use a different account (unless theer's a way to lower the privileges of DS). This was done because a significant number of problems were caused by users sometimes running as admin and thus ending up with files or folders having admin privileges and being unusable on other occasions - nothing the application does needs admin-level access.

And those users who probably still running their PCs as admin don't have those problems anymore?

I'm running always and not sometimes my pc as administrator and only very few system relevant files and folders have admin privileges. So whatever those users did with them I doubt that this permission thingy will help. It's an annoyance to accustom the OS to DS - it should be the other way around (I've just installed Win10 on a new SSD). If anyone of your tech wizards listens please Richard Haseltine ask them to change it. Google's links to this topic demand the readers of way more understanding of the issue than the users you claim it was introduced for could be helped with.

Another thread shows that the users instead change the registry as a work around. Pretty much effort for us users to get rid of this. 

Post edited by mackis3D on
  • Using an admin account is no problem - it's running "as administrator" that is the issue, and that's a different thing. Using an admin account and having UAC off amounts to the same thing even without explicitly running as administrator.

• mackis3Dmackis3D Posts: 44
    edited August 2019

I know the difference. Still this is an almost exlusive DS problem with the "elevated permissions" if you google it - at least for a popular software!  Almost any other articles or forum discussions that deal with it are indeed by professional business adminstrators who ask for help in tech forums. Keep that in mind. They run their PCs as administrators which is not an issue but some rare software or in this case the not so rare DAZ Studio turn it into an issue. DS is here the issue (not the users and not the users who run their PCs at home as administrators - which is not "forbidden" as you stated in another thread, it's an option). It's an issue I never had with any other software. The workarounds make the PC actually less safe. So what was the point in helping with a  "frequent user error, so the change was made for protection" ? Please leave that to Windows and Mac. This kind of nonsense turns future customers away who don't have the nerve to accustom their OS to your software.

Post edited by mackis3D on
  • Running DS from an admin account will not cause issues as long as UAC is on and DS/DIM is not "Run as administrator". UAC on is the default, and safer, mode.

• ... Right-click on the shortcut you use to launch DS, select proeprties, in the shortcut tab click Advanced, and make sure that Run as Administrator is not checked.

Hi Richard, All, 

I had this problem as well, and iriginally followed Richard's instructions and it didn't help.  I just discovered the fix, but it is in a slightly different place.  I chose the 'compatibility' tab in 

the properties, and found the 'Run as Administrator' box checked.  I unchecked it and problem solved.

• cowcakecowcake Posts: 2

Upgrade Z-Brush 2021 and Goz was Killed with a PROBLEM is LIKE YOUR PROBLEM. With compatibility option: "problem-solving" of compatibility program button now all RUN. DAZ 4.12 to ZBrush 2021 and all morph sending back. 

• I have the same error message. I am new to all of this. I am just opening central for the first time after installing it. I checked the admin permissions and that is unchecked like suggestd. But I can't figure this out. Are you saying I have to log out of my computer as admin and log in as another user? Thanks 

• I have the same error message.

DAZ Central can not be run with elevated permissions

I am new to all of this. I am just opening DAZ central for the first time after installing it. I checked the admin permissions and that is unchecked like suggested. But I can't figure this out. Are you saying I have to log out of my computer as admin and log in as another user? I would rather not do that.  I'm just a simple book cover designer and wanted to try this out to create models etc. I have no idea how it works, I am a photoshop expert but don't know anything about DAZ. I was hoping to teach myself but can't get it to open. Thanks 

• I have to say I've been using Windows with the built-in administrator account since Windows XP, that's close to 20 years, and this was the first piece of software that refused to work with it.

The built-in administrator account needs to be enabled (net user administrator /active:yes in the command prompt), and is running everything with elevated privileges by default, there is no way to undo that, only running the program as another user and this central that works as a launcher for other processes makes that completely impossible. Even if I get around that, since I'm running the software with another user, some of the libraries are doubled, which breaks the tutorial, because it doesn't allow me to click on the right item.

I've never encountered an issue running software using the built-in administrator account before, if anything I've got rid of most of my issues by using it, which is why I've gotten in the habit of using it the first place.

• this is the only aplication that has EVER given me this issue. please fix it.

• lovestruckemokid said:

this is the only aplication that has EVER given me this issue. please fix it.

It isn't broken so there is nothing to fix. Are you trying to run with UAC off?

• Richard Haseltine said:

lovestruckemokid said:

this is the only aplication that has EVER given me this issue. please fix it.

It isn't broken so there is nothing to fix. Are you trying to run with UAC off?

I'm sorry richard, but it is "broken".

While the intent may have been to solve a particular problem, it has created another problem.

Hence, why i started this thread.

After a bit of research, the reality is, UAC, is what's creating this problem.

Because of certain checks it runs, it won't allow DS to run on an Administrator account, due to the elevated permissions the account inherently has.

To clarify, an Adminstrator account, is running everything with the "Run as Adminstrator" box checked, without needing the box checked.

Disabling UAC, in the registry, not just moving the slider to it's minimum setting, does allow an Adminstrator account to run DS.

This disables the check that DS uses to keep from being "Run as Adminstrator".

I will recommend against this, as it creates a massive security vulnerability in windows.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Not broken, just not working like you think it should.

• There is no need or reason to run everything as administrator though - it creates its own substantial security hole (of course there are bugs and holes that allow applications to run as administrator, with malicious intent, when they shouldn't but that doesn't mean it's a good diea to turn the whole thing off). If people wish tot ake a high risk they can, but it isn't something that applications should be expected to support.

• and the same issue is still in win server 2019 
    Just speechless at reading this.... 
    hmm, will central really be successfully at putting over two terabytes of stuff in one folder? 
    And then of course all the file and catalog structure with 12,000 products would have to be rebuilt... wow, what a pleasant thought. 
    ---
    the idea is to have only one person on the computer... 
    so now in order to run daz... I have to have a user acct besides the admin account. 
    ---
    it's a pain to have to keep answering the "you know admin priviledges to move this delete this etc 
    which is never an issue when I run as admin. 

• alan bard newcomer said:

and the same issue is still in win server 2019 
    hmm, will central really be successfully at putting over two terabytes of stuff in one folder? 
    And then of course all the file and catalog structure with 12,000 products would have to be rebuilt... wow, what a pleasant thought. 
    ---
    so now in order to run daz... I have to have a user acct besides the admin account. 
    ---
    it's a pain to have to keep answering the "you know admin priviledges to move this delete this etc 

Please be aware that running from an adminsitrator account is not the same as running as administrator - the latter, which is the thing that is not allowed, is a specific, non-default action even when using an admin account. There is no problem with running Daz Studio from an admin account.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,395
    edited September 2021

For the record, Richard is one of the most knowledgeable person on this site about Daz Studio and the inter workings of it, besides the programmers. I'd suggest if you want DS to run properly you start taking his advice.

Post edited by frank0314 on

alan bard newcomer said:

and the same issue is still in win server 2019 
    ---
    ---

Please be aware that running from an adminsitrator account is not the same as running as administrator - the latter, which is the thing that is not allowed, is a specific, non-default action even when using an admin account. There is no problem with running Daz Studio from an admin account.

I'm sorry richard, but you seem to misunderstand this issue on a fundamental level.

What you are referring to as an "Administrator account", is not what Alan bard newcomer and I are referring to.

There are three, primary, account permission levels in a windows operating system.

1. User/Standard type. Lowest permissions, has the most restrictions.

2. User/Administrator type. Elevated permisssions, fewer restrictions.

3. Administrator. Maximum permissions, no restrictions.

In consumer operating systems(7,8,10), the third level is hidden/disabled by default.

In server operating systems(2012, 2016, 2019), this is the default account.

If you enable the third level account, in consumer, and log into it, or you log into the default account in server, with UAC enabled, you CAN NOT run daz studio.

It will always produce the "Cannot be run with elevated permissions" error.

This is, AFAIK, because the UAC token, created at log in, defines the user with the highest level permissions available to the system.

As i said in my other post, it's the equivalent of having the "Run as administrator" box always checked, since you are logged into the account, at the permissions level, this is referring to.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the "There is no need or reason to run everything as administrator though".

Yes richard, there is.

It's not about the programs, it's about the unrestricted system access, people like me need.

"If people wish to take a high risk they can, but it isn't something that applications should be expected to support."

Since disabling UAC(in the registry), a "high risk" activity, enables DS to run on THE Administrator account, well....

I'll let you come to your own conclusions on that one.

• OK, that wasn't clear from the inital post (you didn't explain you were running a server OS, or mention user adimistrator accounts as one of the other types). Have you explaind this, clearly, to support? Though routinely running in an environment where everything has admin rightss till seems like a risky thing to do, and also a fairly unusual thing to do.

OK, that wasn't clear from the inital post (you didn't explain you were running a server OS, or mention user adimistrator accounts as one of the other types). Have you explaind this, clearly, to support? Though routinely running in an environment where everything has admin rightss till seems like a risky thing to do, and also a fairly unusual thing to do.

I actually did clarify in my second post on this thread, that i was running server 08(at the time) and logged in the administrator account.

Alan Bard, also specified that he was running Server 2019.

Since i found a, semi-viable, work around, i never got to submitting a ticket.

I might get around to doing that.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

As for "risk" and being "unusual", not so much, for me and most server geeks i know anyway.

Don't connect your system to the internet,don't use a wifi or bluetooth enbled router or dongle or card.

Test, on another system, NOT connected to the network, any program or asset(3ds max exploit) you intend to use. This includes, virus, process, registry edits, and a laundry list of other things.

Do those two things, and there's a 99.99999% chance you'll never have malware or a hack on your primary system or network.

A bit "paranoid", yep, and i've never had malware, or a hack, on my primary systems/network.

For the average 'user', though, never log into the administrator account, unless you know what you're getting yourself into.

Gonna go edit the original post for clarity.