Shows That Inspire Animations

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

love these links to film editing and direction. Saw a short guide on how Spielberg set up people/extras and props with vertical lines to add a sense of movement to a tracking shot that slid horizontally.  Made a lot of sense once they pointed it out, then they showed that the script did not include any of that. 

Not it sure where I saw it, so it could have been from one of Steve’s links. Please keep them coming. 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

This wasn’t the same Spielberg link, but still interesting.

https://www.lavideofilmmaker.com/filmmaking/steven-spielberg-film-techniques.html

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Worth reading. Some of those steve fims somewhat successful

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192

A story I've told here before, but  ... during the filming of a scene in "Rosemary's Baby", she is sitting on her bed talking on the phone.  Director Roman Polanski tells the camera to move right, which brings a wall into the scene, blocking the view of Mia Farrow.  The cinematographer says "This is crazy, we can't see her!", but Polanski says "No, its great, leave it."  During audience screenings, people were leaning left, trying to look around the wall.  Talk about bringing the audience into the scene ...

surprise

movie scared me when i was a teen.  think it was supposed to. lol

i remember putting exorcist on, went downstairs to put laundry on, heard the screaming, turned movie off cause the screaming scared me.  haven't seen the movie to this day.  

Mystarra said:

i remember putting exorcist on, went downstairs to put laundry on, heard the screaming, turned movie off cause the screaming scared me.  haven't seen the movie to this day.  

Yup, "The Exorcist" is truly scary.  8.0 at IMDB, and four stars (of four) from Ebert:  "The film is a triumph of special effects. Never for a moment--not when the little girl is possessed by the most disgusting of spirits, not when the bed is banging and the furniture flying and the vomit is welling out--are we less than convinced. The film contains brutal shocks, almost indescribable obscenities. That it received an R rating and not the X is stupefying."

As an aside, it also gave us Linda Blair again in one of the best sequel *Titles* ever:  "Repossessed".  Not the movie (4.8 at IMDB), just the title.  It did win a Razzie for "Worst Original Song" ... 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,839

games do too even if just Unreal Demo scenes I package so I can watch Gideon's arseflap as he jumps

edited August 2019

games do too ...

They certainly do.  In fact, captured game footage can be used in animations.  I used five different games in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bv7hMnkApk

I've got an El Gato video game capture device which works great, but Grand Theft Auto (4 & 5, I think) has a built in video capture feature, even allowing after capture editing - change camera angles, etc.  

Post edited by Steve K on
    Steve K said:

games do too ...

They certainly do.  In fact, captured game footage can be used in animations.  I used five different games in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bv7hMnkApk

I've got an El Gato video game capture device which works great, but Grand Theft Auto (4 & 5, I think) has a built in video capture feature, even allowing after capture editing - change camera angles, etc.  

Shadowplay works on my old 760 now, Nvidia retro updated it apparently 

I thought since my 980ti carked it I was stuffed

the game sounds don’t capture terribly well though, this was a game I packaged myself from assets, he just runs around that’s all but the pretty UE4 sets are nice, I can add animated DAZ people etc  too as NPC’s

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    Mystarra said:

worth a look smiley

not wsting render frames on un needed footage save a lot of time lol

Not sure what you mean. As far as I know (from watching the special features) that clip utilized practical shots. No CG. They actually built Edoras. Computer would only have been used for color grading.

Steve K said:

the pretty UE4 sets are nice, I can add animated DAZ people etc  too as NPC’s

I once tried to get the 48 Hour Film Contest to let me use game capture footage in the contest.  Most companies don't mind if its not for profit, e.g. there are a LOT of game based videos on YouTube.  The 48HFP producer did not agree, since they sell tickets to the screenings of the videos, so its "commercial".  I tried to argue the videos were screened once each, maybe twice if they are a category winner, and that the ticket sales were mostly to recover the cost of the contest, theater rental, etc.  I even have to buy a ticket for the screenings that don't include my video.  I lost.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Not really a "show", but the new THX 35th anniversary "Deep Note" trail is pretty inspiring. (there's even a 'making of')

listen with headphones for the best effect (or a massive surround system!)

Not really a "show", but the new THX 35th anniversary "Deep Note" trail is pretty inspiring. (there's even a 'making of')

Woah!

bugaloos  the bugaloos

That THX ad is awesome 

I know this is not Dies iray but...

the music is so poignant 

the music is so poignant 

Yes, that kind of music can be inspiring for an animation, it was part of my inspiration for this one (music @ ~1:50):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-sMNkCQF_U

Steve K said:

the music is so poignant 

Yes, that kind of music can be inspiring for an animation, it was part of my inspiration for this one (music @ ~1:50):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-sMNkCQF_U

I was also making a rather feeble pun about iray

Steve K said:

I was also making a rather feeble pun about iray

That did cross my mind.  cheeky

oh my

oh my

T-Shirt: "I Went Outside Once.  The Graphics Weren't That Good."

• Well I thought the bread was very impressive 

Well I thought the bread was very impressive 

Yup, better than live action (hence my T-Shirt quote)

multeee pass

watching 5th element again.

might be worth it to watch this in blu ray

edited September 2019

carrara could do this  and do it with better lighting!

been watching this 3 and a half hours.  didnt notice is over 6 hours.  dohhh
    got so interesting paused 5th element. saw a giant pink pussy cat. meowwr sounded so ebil

Post edited by Mistara on

shopping for hardware to create blu ray dvd on

amazed at how many blu ray burners can't play a blue ray movie ??  non comprende

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Many movies have a region lock, which is basically the studios' way of buggering up who can watch what, and where.

But in theory, if a drive can read it, it ought to play it. Course, you also need movie player software...

edited September 2019

Many movies have a region lock, which is basically the studios' way of buggering up who can watch what, and where.

But in theory, if a drive can read it, it ought to play it. Course, you also need movie player software...

the ACCC in Australia ruled that breaches our fair trade agreement so we can buy region free players, sadly all the good brands insist on having it in their firmware but sometimes you can find a remote sequence code to crack it, on a DVD player that is, my PC DVD driive sadly has only 3 changes left

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

you understand the color grade stuff..

watching my inspiration scene again.  it looks like lighting is teal?  and  orangie?