Suggestion For A Product - Bungalow Style House

2»

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,954
    edited December 1969

yes I model and mostly in Carrara but more of a tweaker of models
    I animate stuff mostly, you may have seen my scary videos in my sig link even
    I certainly have seen yours (cool not scary, subscriber)
    Jaderail is keen to build you a house, make him work and say exactly what you want!

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,200
    edited December 1969

yes I model and mostly in Carrara but more of a tweaker of models
    I animate stuff mostly, you may have seen my scary videos in my sig link even
    I certainly have seen yours (cool not scary, subscriber)
    Jaderail is keen to build you a house, make him work and say exactly what you want!

Yes, I remember, and thanks. I just watched your YouTube Channel trailer, very nice, looks like a lot of work.

I don't want to work him too hard, his hourly rate is pretty attractive.

I am the same way in Carrara, just yesterday I used the modelling features to "correct" this coal charger model:

http://www.cornucopia3d.com/purchase.php?item_id=7158&sid=957d3551fec47db9fbe98d1c38437205&synch_f=1&_sid_=

The bucket on the crane is not part of the rotating crane assembly, but part of the base structure. So when you rotate the crane, the bucket stays put, hanging in mid air. Sheesh, why would any modeler do that? In fairness, the version I have is from a little Taschen book "500 3D Objects" with lo-res models on CD's, although this is one of the few hi-res models. Anyway, maybe something changed in the book prep, the Cornucopia version may be OK. Carrara made the correction pretty easy, so I figure that paid for my book from Half Price Books.
    :coolsmile:

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,693
    edited December 1969

I am pretty sure you can actually, by submitting a model to Google you agree to allow unrestricted use
    http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/preview_tos.html
    You give other end users of the Services a perpetual, sublicensable, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute Existing Geolocated Models, Existing Non-Geolocated Models, New Models and related content and derivative works thereof which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.

mind you the UV mapping on many sucks

Hmm, interesting.
    Back then it was one of the reasons I dropped Sketchup...I may have interpret something wrong then...

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm happily at play. And getting my speed up in SU again. One day of playing and I'll have all my brain clicking on it again. If time allows I might have a mock up ready this time tomorrow. I'm just doing a Base in SU the Obj will be imported to HEX for clean up and finer details. Then I'll see about Texturing with Filter Forge. I'm having fun right now. That counts.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    ... I'm having fun right now. That counts.

I certainly does. I rarely have fun modeling, it just gets frustrating. I need a "DWIM" button (Do What I Meant!) Of course, the fact that I skipped all the tutorials and simple projects and went right to a billion poly model of the HMS Victory may have been a poor choice ... :-/

Animating, OTOH, can be one of the most engrossing activities I can think of. :wow:

edited November 2013

Still At work on this thing Steve K. I was rustier in Sketch Up than I thought. I'm plugging right along now. I remembered how to pull real life measurements off images, so with that and your floor plans I'm well on my way of building this at real world settings. I'm doing my best to add the small details in SU as I go but some items are still arguing with me. Once I get the Object file into another modeler then I can correct most of that I believe.

EDIT: doing my best to match the Yellow Bungalow for you.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Still At work on this thing Steve K. I was rustier in Sketch Up than I thought. ...

Sounds like a real challenge, I hope you're still having fun. I'm starting to waffle about trying my hand at Sketch Up. I was hoping I could just hold a picture up in front of the computer and it would ... OK, probably not that easy, huh?

Again, many thanks.

edited December 1969

Still pluggin away over here, I'm getting close to export to object file. I'll show the SU version first so you can get edits if needed / doable before export.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Still pluggin away over here, I'm getting close to export to object file. I'll show the SU version first so you can get edits if needed / doable before export.

Sounds good. When you say "object file", is that *.obj format? Just curious, I'll take anything I can get into Carrara, which is pretty much everything except *.max and maybe a few others ...

edited December 1969

Yes obj format, I will use that to UV it and Texture it better than the SU stuff does. I know you will use Carrara shaders but I'll play with it in DS as well so might as well do it all the way.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    ... I know you will use Carrara shaders ...

Maybe some. But I usually get better results with textures like these:

http://www.marlinstudios.com/products/st2/st2.htm

Note there are some free 1/2 size samples. (BTW, I got these for about $10 - $15 at a sale, $100 is a little steep, but they are good ...)

edited November 2013

Tip to other Sketch Up users, When you build roofing tiles, as a component, be sure the darn things are tile-able. Back to the drawing board.

EDIT just my way of saying still plugging away...

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    ... Back to the drawing board ...

EDIT just my way of saying still plugging away...

Hopefully not back to square 1 ... I could redo the floor plan, but I doubt it would help ...:-S

edited December 1969

Nope, Just the Roofing tiles. All else is done. Getting that shingled look is harder that I thought it would be.

edited November 2013

Jaderail said:
    Nope, Just the Roofing tiles. All else is done. Getting that shingled look is harder that I thought it would be.

Would one of the Marlin textures be usable? I'm attaching a sample (~1200x900), they also have bump maps to match. I could contribute to the project, I think, I paid for them.

copyrighted image removed

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited November 2013

With the Coloration from top to bottom that would be Hard to tile across the roof at the proper scale. It would repeat to often. Also I have no way to add that into Sketch Up as a material file that I know of. I've not looked into doing that. At this time I'm focused on getting the best detail from Sketch Up as I can and plan to texture the Object file outside Sketch Up. Then the Displacement maps and Bump maps will be used to add details that I can not build into the base object. I'm sorry it has taken this long but I wish to do the best work I can. Not only for you but to see if doing things this way, Sketch Up to Object to Other Programs is a work flow I can use for future projects.

I'm very A type by the way. I'm not happy with anything until it's good enough for me. Very A type.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    ... I'm sorry it has taken this long but I wish to do the best work I can.

No problem, I've been looking for such a model for years. I'm just glad you're willing to undertake the project.

edited December 1969

Soembody else has decided to market a Poser model of an early 20th century Craftsman type home.

" ... 100 years ago you could open your Sears and Roebuck catalog and mail order an entire house. For as little as a couple hundred dollars, a pile of lumber and a book of plans would be delivered to your location, and the rest was up to you!"

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=102255

Note one review says many of the parts are one piece, .e. no opening windows, etc. Still pretty nice looking renders. But not the "bungalow' I've been looking for (although I've learned that word is used more widely than I'd thought).

edited December 2013

Saw that one too.. I'm still at work here. You will have THAT bungalow you wanted. I have Exported to Obj already once. I found some areas I could clean up in Sketch up before export. It will have working windows, doors and the full floor plan and come in two versions one for exterior renders only and a Full for outer and inner shots. I'm slow but steady as I go.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Saw that one too.. I'm still at work here. You will have THAT bungalow you wanted. I have Exported to Obj already once. I found some areas I could clean up in Sketch up before export. It will have working windows, doors and the full floor plan and come in two versions one for exterior renders only and a Full for outer and inner shots. I'm slow but steady as I go.

Sounds good.

I don't know the words for the different house styles, but the Renderosity house seems more modern than what I had in mind. Maybe mid-20th century rather than early. It says here there have been revivals up to the present:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Craftsman

I'm glad I gave up quickly, since with my lack of modelling experience and extreme lack of patience, I would have never gotten there. Just curious, do you still think Sketchup is the way to start? I would have guessed Carrara or Hexagon, or maybe some architectural app.

edited December 1969

Now that I have exported once and could see the areas of, well Mesh flaws in Hex, I'm okay with Using Sketch Up as the Base editor. It's the Grouping in Sketch Up that can toss the vertex count too High, I should have Cut many of the hidden faces before grouping. Very do able.

edited December 1969

And yet another bungalow available:

http://www.daz3d.com/modern-bungalow

This one looks like a great companion to First Bastion's "The Neighbor's Yard" and "The Neighbor's Pools", both of which I like a lot. Again, its not the bungalow I've been looking for, but I'm certainly getting and using it.

edited December 1969

It does look like you really started something here doesn't it?

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    It does look like you really started something here doesn't it?

Apparently so, here are some more new releases included in a "Movie Set, City Block":

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=102410&&AID;=408#

Again, these are not the bungalow I have in mind, these are larger. But a couple of them would fit in to the same block, like the one below. BTW, I have a bunch of these "Movie Sets, City Blocks", nicely done.

Rendo_House.jpg
    498 x 622 - 160K
    edited December 1969

Nice looking collection... there. Now I feel my skills are week. But I'm sure they been modeling MUCH longer than I have.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    ... I feel my skills are week. But I'm sure they been modeling MUCH longer than I have.

I don't think I've seen any of your models, but I certainly appreciate your efforts on my request. Yes, some modellers are very experienced and talented, like my favorite PA's here at DAZ (a small percentage of the several hundred listed, but that's just my preference). Great concepts, excellent execution, and especially lots of details (and even more especially working/ERC details for animations).

Renderosity does not have the same level overall, IMHO, but there are a few at the same level.

edited December 1969

On a related note, here is an interesting article about features of old houses that should be reconsidered for their practicality: dutch doors, transoms, mail slots, etc:

http://realestate.msn.com/10-old-house-features-you-shouldnt-abandon

As an aside, the French word for transom is "vasistas", which, as the story goes, is from the German "Was ist das?" ("What is that?"). Supposedly some Germans had never seen a transom and asked the question, and the French adopted it as the name.

edited December 1969

Many have never seen my work at modeling. And those that have never notice. I build many small quick props for one of uses and mostly put shaders on them. This is the fullest thing I've ever attempted, and I'll be the first to say I'm no Stonemason. When I finish I hope its usable. I'm really taking my time, I'm sure you have noticed that, and doing things I've learned by studying other sets. I work at your set at least once a day (most days) and many times I have got lost in it for hours. I think it is coming together very nice this last update.

• CyberDogCyberDog Posts: 232
    edited December 1969

Just want to add a note that I am looking forward to what you come up with. Most of my purchases are of things that you would see in real life middle class. I also like to have a variety of buildings and props. Your bungalow will most likely be in my basket.
    No rush, just a little encouragement.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    ... I think it is coming together very nice this last update.

Sounds good. I doubt I'll ever have the patience to do detailed modelling. At most a little Carrara hacking on a purchased model to adapt for an animation, but even then I usually spend hours looking for an existing model before I bite the bullet.
    :ohh: