General: what forum we need, too?

Comments

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

I'm not talking about a "professional level" critique. I'm talking about the basic basics, which, of course, professionals must consider in their critiques.

For example, IF you are evaluating images that are intended to be shown to others, and impart a feeling, emotion, or story to the viewer, you cannot evaluate them without addressing certain basic basics that deal with how people perceive images. That's where learning and the craft come into play. The craft is being able to generate images that affect viewers in a certain way.

However, if the purpose and goal for the images is "I was just playing around and made this image, what do you think?" then there is no evaluation or craft. It becomes solely "I like it" or "I don't like it", and nothing gets learned.

So I agree, if people only want a "what do you think" from others, which is basically what happens now in the render threads, then just make a "what do you think" thread.

I see what you're saying and I think you're right. A critique thread should be more than a "what do you think" thread.

I'm being far too agreeable today. Something must be wrong.:)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited December 1969

booksbydavid wroteth

Are the folks wanting to become ‘professional’ or do they just want tips and suggestions/critique on how to make their own personal artwork better. Not everybody here is on the professional career track. I’m guessing most just want to be better at using and understanding Carrara’s capabilities and improving their art for their own sake.

heh. don't you hate the voice of reason? :)

My experience with critique groups?

In the year 2000 I helped to form a group of painters with the specific intent on having an active critique group. Come 2012 we are still together, we rent a full time studio and have had many successful exhibitions. We are still together after all that time because we treat each other in a courteous, civilized and intelligent way. As evidence? Our newspaper reviews. http://andrewfinnieportfolio2.blogspot.com.au/p/press.html

After that period of time I know how to critique and accept critique. I can also recognize criticism from a mile away. Especially when it is malicious and formed from ill intent, and usually is designed to make the 'critisizer' feel better about themselves - by using the Orwellian hypothesis of putting people down to make yourself look tall.

I am in also in two other online illustration critique groups. One is formed by about fifteen artists of whom half had have books published and a further two have just succeeded in 'catching' an agent . Our one intent is to help each other along the way. That group is going great guns because we treat each other in a "courteous, civilized and intelligent way."

The other group I am in was going very well till we let in someone who had a poisonous tongue, who insisted he knew better than anyone else and proceded to shove his opinions down people's throats. That group is now in dead water because one poisonous member left a bad taint in everyone's mouths.

The moral? If your stated intent is to help someone, and this is your true intent, then you must first get them to listen.

Jumping up and down with malicious and derogatory critical remarks is never a way to get an audience to listen to your 'critique'. On the contrary, it's just a way to make someone dislike you and to ignore you.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

With all due respect, I think I'm going to bow out of this one. I just don't have the energy for it.

Honestly, while it's admirable to say you want to "get better", I really don't think there is a common understanding of what that even means. Art is about expressing an emotion, feeling or story to others, and the craft is about how to do that. If people don't even understand that, and only want to know how to make cooler pictures for themselves, there is no right way or wrong way or technique or skill. It's all personal preference.

So I'll let you guys decide where you want to go with this.

edited December 1969

With all due respect, I think I'm going to bow out of this one. I just don't have the energy for it.

Honestly, while it's admirable to say you want to "get better", I really don't think there is a common understanding of what that even means. Art is about expressing an emotion, feeling or story to others, and the craft is about how to do that. If people don't even understand that, and only want to know how to make cooler pictures for themselves, there is no right way or wrong way or technique or skill. It's all personal preference.

So I'll let you guys decide where you want to go with this.

I thought we were trying to come to a common understanding about the whole thing. I guess I was in a different conversation.

Sorry to see you go, Joe

Ok, guys/gals. Are we gonna go anywhere with this. I still think it's an admirable idea that could produce some good result. Maybe we should go ahead and give it a go.

What do you think?

edited December 1969

headwax, I sent you a PM. The stupid messaging system always tells me it didn't send a message whether it did or not.

So, did you get it? :-)

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    booksbydavid wroteth
    Are the folks wanting to become ‘professional’ or do they just want tips and suggestions/critique on how to make their own personal artwork better. Not everybody here is on the professional career track. I’m guessing most just want to be better at using and understanding Carrara’s capabilities and improving their art for their own sake.

heh. don't you hate the voice of reason? :)

My experience with critique groups?

In the year 2000 I helped to form a group of painters with the specific intent on having an active critique group. Come 2012 we are still together, we rent a full time studio and have had many successful exhibitions. We are still together after all that time because we treat each other in a courteous, civilized and intelligent way. As evidence? Our newspaper reviews. http://andrewfinnieportfolio2.blogspot.com.au/p/press.html

After that period of time I know how to critique and accept critique. I can also recognize criticism from a mile away. Especially when it is malicious and formed from ill intent, and usually is designed to make the 'critisizer' feel better about themselves - by using the Orwellian hypothesis of putting people down to make yourself look tall.

I am in also in two other online illustration critique groups. One is formed by about fifteen artists of whom half had have books published and a further two have just succeeded in 'catching' an agent . Our one intent is to help each other along the way. That group is going great guns because we treat each other in a "courteous, civilized and intelligent way."

The other group I am in was going very well till we let in someone who had a poisonous tongue, who insisted he knew better than anyone else and proceded to shove his opinions down people's throats. That group is now in dead water because one poisonous member left a bad taint in everyone's mouths.

The moral? If your stated intent is to help someone, and this is your true intent, then you must first get them to listen.

Jumping up and down with malicious and derogatory critical remarks is never a way to get an audience to listen to your 'critique'. On the contrary, it's just a way to make someone dislike you and to ignore you.

Looking through the newspaper articles. You photograph well, don't you? Must be all that surfing.:lol:

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

And Mr. Finnie, you're right. There's no reason to be malicious. It's all about honesty and efficiency and truth and respect. Okay? Your credentials are impeccable in the field of critique, and I'm sure you're incredibly respectful to everyone. Well, almost....

I never said to be cruel and malicious. Now I'm sure you'll continue the argument about whether you think I've personally been malicious in your view, and try to prove me wrong, or hypocritical, or whatever you want. And you can continue to assume the worst about me, and try to prove it until the sun no longer shines, but that does nobody any good.

Get over it. Take the beneficial parts of what I say, discard the rest, but get over it, okay?

edited June 2012

booksbydavid wroteth

Looking through the newspaper articles. You photograph well, don’t you? Must be all that surfing.

Haha :) The last one he stuck a 28 mil lens an inch from my nose and got a great shot of the parsley in my teeth :) Yes I am a media whore.... did you know painters get groupies?? I didn't know either, I would have become one sooner......
    Just kidding of course, my wife always searches my pockets for any phone numbers after our shows....

A critique group? Sure it sounds good. !!!
    We also have the option of Polls so maybe we should have render challenges as well, where the person puts their work up and either asks for critiques or not. The other idea might be to have a 'form' where the critiquer fills in the blanks. Attached a bad example to give idea ...!

Small problem at the moment, is the forum software isn't sorted so the last post in a thread is actually on page 1. Maybe Diz will sort that out eventually. :)

critexample.jpg
    555 x 769 - 33K
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

And Mr. Finnie, you’re right. There’s no reason to be malicious. It’s all about honesty and efficiency and truth and respect. Okay? Your credentials are impeccable in the field of critique, and I’m sure you’re incredibly respectful to everyone. Well, almost….

I never said to be cruel and malicious. Now I’m sure you’ll continue the argument about whether you think I’ve personally been malicious in your view, and try to prove me wrong, or hypocritical, or whatever you want. And you can continue to assume the worst about me, and try to prove it until the sun no longer shines, but that does nobody any good.

Get over it. Take the beneficial parts of what I say, discard the rest, but get over it, okay?

Sorry Joe I didn't see this:

Oh in real life we can tell by the silence of the critiquer what they really think. Silence is very good as you know. In real life we also have the advantage of looking at an artists other painting stuck on the studio wall and saying "I think this works much better ... "because....."

We also have jokes eg "I really like the shape of this canvas..." or.... "I love how your painting smells..." :)

We can joke and still be serious. It's a luxury some of us have.

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    booksbydavid wroteth

Looking through the newspaper articles. You photograph well, don’t you? Must be all that surfing.

Haha :) The last one he stuck a 28 mil lens an inch from my nose and got a great shot of the parsley in my teeth :) Yes I am a media whore.... did you know painters get groupies?? I didn't know either, I would have become one sooner......
    Just kidding of course, my wife always searches my pockets for any phone numbers after our shows....

A critique group? Sure it sounds good. !!!
    We also have the option of Polls so maybe we should have render challenges as well, where the person puts their work up and either asks for critiques or not. The other idea might be to have a 'form' where the critiquer fills in the blanks. Attached a bad example to give idea ...!

Small problem at the moment, is the forum software isn't sorted so the last post in a thread is actually on page 1. Maybe Diz will sort that out eventually. :)

Those wives sure can get in the way of fame, can't they?:lol:

I think we could all benefit from some good old fashion critique. I still think it's a good idea and everybody who chose to participate stands to benefit.

edited December 1969

head wax said:

And Mr. Finnie, you’re right. There’s no reason to be malicious. It’s all about honesty and efficiency and truth and respect. Okay? Your credentials are impeccable in the field of critique, and I’m sure you’re incredibly respectful to everyone. Well, almost….

I never said to be cruel and malicious. Now I’m sure you’ll continue the argument about whether you think I’ve personally been malicious in your view, and try to prove me wrong, or hypocritical, or whatever you want. And you can continue to assume the worst about me, and try to prove it until the sun no longer shines, but that does nobody any good.

Sorry Joe I didn't see this:

Oh in real life we can tell by the silence of the critiquer what they really think. Silence is very good as you know. In real life we also have the advantage of looking at an artists other painting stuck on the studio wall and saying "I think this works much better ... "because....."

We also have jokes eg "I really like the shape of this canvas..." or.... "I love how your painting smells..." :)

We can joke and still be serious. It's a luxury some of us have.

A little humor can go a long way.

Andrew, please don't take this the wrong way, but I really LOVE how your paint smells. Dreamy!:)

edited December 1969

Haha :) For the last two months since I ripped my shoulder tendon off and had it reattached my wife has had to open my paint tubes for me. I tried opening them myself with my teeth but the cadmium red just tastes ... , well, poisonous... :) So they smell good but taste lousy!

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Haha :) For the last two months since I ripped my shoulder tendon off and had it reattached my wife has had to open my paint tubes for me. I tried opening them myself with my teeth but the cadmium red just tastes ... , well, poisonous... :) So they smell good but taste lousy!

:lol:

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

Blah blah blah waffle blah blah (smileys are not working for some genious DAZ reason) <-- SMILEY HERE!</p>

I suggest we move on to the part where we make up the RULES. Once we have a few good suggestions we can create a POLL and have a vote on what rules we like the best.

Off the top of my head, here are some suggested rules/reminders:

SUBMITTING WORK:
    - no tears. This is for your benefit (even if the advice is all bad, this was done for your benefit).
    - be forgiving. Expect that others are struggling to put their thoughts into words JUST FOR YOU. You won't agree with everything, sometimes people are *actually* saying things about their OWN work. Be prepared that some criticism will be unhelpful, or worded badly. Try to see around the words to the intended meaning.
    - work does not have to be complete BUT you must state your GOAL with the work (ie: realistic hair, submission to an art site, comicbook character, narrative animation, etc)
    - You MUST keep the scene file and at least CONSIDER some of the criticism (are changes possible? Are they necessary? Does a suggestion go against the goal?) Even if you don't remake the work, it would probably be helpful to consider a What If...
    - No one OWES you attention, if you are unwilling to hear the advice of others then don't submit. You're wasting everyone's time.
    - Line-by-line responses are NOT ALLOWED (no flame wars)
    - the WORST CRITICISM must be rephrased (if it was said another way, would it be helpful? No? Then it is not valid criticism)
    - it might be helpful to say something about how you got to this point (render took days, spent time morphing dials but couldn't edit the actual model, Spent a lot of time tweaking Highlight shaders trying to get a velvet look, etc) especially as related to stated goals

SUBMITTING ANALYSIS:
    - You are only allowed to give ONE critique on each submission (no flame wars). Same rule applies to critiquing another person's critique (no flame wars) Keep it short. If the work is re-submitted you can take it from there, but let's keep the signal-to-noise ratio high.
    - If requested by the Artist, you must be able to rephrase your criticism (not expand it into an essay, just put it in other words)
    - Analysis must stay within the submitted work (saying "This flat lighting is like all Carrara pics..." NO!)
    - You can reference other artwork BUT ONLY AS IT'S RELEVANT TO THE ARTIST'S STATED GOAL (If the goal is an abstract you are not allowed to compare it to Da Vinci's photorealism, that's not helpful)
    - Keep the artist's skill level in mind. No one can do it all at 100%... Intense detail work is a time suck. Demanding every image be re-rendered with global illumination or hand-painted textures or original models isn't helpful.
    - If you can't say ANYTHING nice, then consider saying nothing at all. Not all work deserves your input. Silence can say a lot!

Maybe a general rule of analysis could be to say what is/isn't working and leave it at that. DO NOT attempt to say how it *should* look or how it *should* be done. It's up to the artist to figure out the right solution....

Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited June 2012

Blah blah blah waffle blah blah (smileys are not working for some genious DAZ reason) <-- SMILEY HERE!</p>

I suggest we move on to the part where we make up the RULES. Once we have a few good suggestions we can create a POLL and have a vote on what rules we like the best.

Off the top of my head, here are some suggested rules/reminders:

SUBMITTING WORK:
    - no tears. This is for your benefit (even if the advice is all bad, this was done for your benefit).
    - be forgiving. Expect that others are struggling to put their thoughts into words JUST FOR YOU. You won't agree with everything, sometimes people are *actually* saying things about their OWN work. Be prepared that some criticism will be unhelpful, or worded badly. Try to see around the words to the intended meaning.
    - work does not have to be complete BUT you must state your GOAL with the work (ie: realistic hair, submission to an art site, comicbook character, narrative animation, etc)
    - You MUST keep the scene file and at least CONSIDER some of the criticism (are changes possible? Are they necessary? Does a suggestion go against the goal?) Even if you don't remake the work, it would probably be helpful to consider a What If...
    - No one OWES you attention, if you are unwilling to hear the advice of others then don't submit. You're wasting everyone's time.
    - Line-by-line responses are NOT ALLOWED (no flame wars)
    - the WORST CRITICISM must be rephrased (if it was said another way, would it be helpful? No? Then it is not valid criticism)
    - it might be helpful to say something about how you got to this point (render took days, spent time morphing dials but couldn't edit the actual model, Spent a lot of time tweaking Highlight shaders trying to get a velvet look, etc) especially as related to stated goals

SUBMITTING ANALYSIS:
    - You are only allowed to give ONE critique on each submission (no flame wars). Same rule applies to critiquing another person's critique (no flame wars) Keep it short. If the work is re-submitted you can take it from there, but let's keep the signal-to-noise ratio high.
    - If requested by the Artist, you must be able to rephrase your criticism (not expand it into an essay, just put it in other words)
    - Analysis must stay within the submitted work (saying "This flat lighting is like all Carrara pics..." NO!)
    - You can reference other artwork BUT ONLY AS IT'S RELEVANT TO THE ARTIST'S STATED GOAL (If the goal is an abstract you are not allowed to compare it to Da Vinci's photorealism, that's not helpful)
    - Keep the artist's skill level in mind. No one can do it all at 100%... Intense detail work is a time suck. Demanding every image be re-rendered with global illumination or hand-painted textures or original models isn't helpful.
    - If you can't say ANYTHING nice, then consider saying nothing at all. Not all work deserves your input. Silence can say a lot!

Maybe a general rule of analysis could be to say what is/isn't working and leave it at that. DO NOT attempt to say how it *should* look or how it *should* be done. It's up to the artist to figure out the right solution....

waffle, waffle, waffle, blah, waffle, waffle, waffle:-) (Smileys are working for me. The forum likes me better than you.)(oops! spoke too soon)

OK. This looks like a good start to me. Now, I know the artist is going to ask questions, i.e. How would I do ___________? or whatever. Would a critique thread be the place for things like that. I easily see a conversation developing on points like that. I think that's fine if that's what we want. It would be more like a critique/learning thread. If we don't want that, then how would we handle an artist's questions? By PM, in a separate thread for that purpose, or what? I only ask because I can easily see such a situation happening.

I also think having something like headwax's critiquing guide above might be helpful to include in the initial rules post.

That's my two cents. If you want more, I'll have to go to the bank.:-)

Post edited by booksbydavid on
    edited December 1969

Now, I know the artist is going to ask questions, i.e. How would I do ___________? or whatever. Would a critique thread be the place for things like that. I easily see a conversation developing on points like that. I think that's fine if that's what we want. It would be more like a critique/learning thread. If we don't want that, then how would we handle an artist's questions? By PM, in a separate thread for that purpose, or what? I only ask because I can easily see such a situation happening.

Hmmm. Not sure...

I can see how someone like Joe wants a critique to be more "real world", like the *bigger* questions are composition and intent.... I think if your submission is a work in progress or you are submitting just a part and trying to figure something out, maybe that should not go in the critique thread because it's more a "How To" kind of topic.

At the same time I can see someone submitting a few renders of a model from different angles (maybe even a screengrab in the model room) and the critique should be limited to a modeling discussion -- even if some of the suggestions are "I'd rather see a 'clay render' because there are problems with your UV map"... or something. In that case I think a specific discussion about the Bridge Tool or whatever would be appropriate....

Likewise, If I submitted a hairstyle for criticism, I may not be very concerned about the head it's resting on.... BUT the real problem with my hair might be the lighting, rather than the hair shader or something. We have to be able to concentrate on the stated goal of an image - otherwise every image must be a completed masterpiece and that is less likely to happen. Besides, not everyone wants a fully illustrated book cover. The stated Goal might be to develop a fictional character (the criticisms being whether the clothes are appropriate or distracting or whatever). A goal might be realistic ocean, but the sky isn't part of the goal or the expressions on people in a boat... We just need to be able to be specific or every critique could be very random....

On the otherhand, if a book cover *is* the stated goal, a discussion on fonts is totally appropriate. If the stated goal is postwork, that might lead to a discussion on both photoshop AND lighting in Carrara.... I think if someone wants help with something specific, they might get better answers starting a specific thread on that topic....

testing the smiley --> :roll:
    Smiley problem seems to be with the Quick Reply. Hitting the Quote button opens a new interface and the smileys work...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,929
    edited December 1969

smileys work for me using quick reply on Android %-P 8-P :vampire: :snake: mind you I type in the characters but can add em via new window too ;-P

edited December 1969

ok, 8-P is NOT A SMILEY!!!

edited June 2012

:zip: <-- hmm. Seems to be working now. Maybe it's me.</p>

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! lol :snake:

Again, I think it's those moments where a person has to keep insisting that they are not being understood, it's no longer a critique of anything. It's just venting.... If we can limit the responses to a one-time short and sweet, we'd keep signal to noise ratio high..

Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited December 1969

ok, 8-P is NOT A SMILEY!!!

That was the one I was using... :P
    edited December 1969

Now, I know the artist is going to ask questions, i.e. How would I do ___________? or whatever. Would a critique thread be the place for things like that. I easily see a conversation developing on points like that. I think that's fine if that's what we want. It would be more like a critique/learning thread. If we don't want that, then how would we handle an artist's questions? By PM, in a separate thread for that purpose, or what? I only ask because I can easily see such a situation happening.

Hmmm. Not sure...

I can see how someone like Joe wants a critique to be more "real world", like the *bigger* questions are composition and intent.... I think if your submission is a work in progress or you are submitting just a part and trying to figure something out, maybe that should not go in the critique thread because it's more a "How To" kind of topic.

At the same time I can see someone submitting a few renders of a model from different angles (maybe even a screengrab in the model room) and the critique should be limited to a modeling discussion -- even if some of the suggestions are "I'd rather see a 'clay render' because there are problems with your UV map"... or something. In that case I think a specific discussion about the Bridge Tool or whatever would be appropriate....

Likewise, If I submitted a hairstyle for criticism, I may not be very concerned about the head it's resting on.... BUT the real problem with my hair might be the lighting, rather than the hair shader or something. We have to be able to concentrate on the stated goal of an image - otherwise every image must be a completed masterpiece and that is less likely to happen. Besides, not everyone wants a fully illustrated book cover. The stated Goal might be to develop a fictional character (the criticisms being whether the clothes are appropriate or distracting or whatever). A goal might be realistic ocean, but the sky isn't part of the goal or the expressions on people in a boat... We just need to be able to be specific or every critique could be very random....

On the otherhand, if a book cover *is* the stated goal, a discussion on fonts is totally appropriate. If the stated goal is postwork, that might lead to a discussion on both photoshop AND lighting in Carrara.... I think if someone wants help with something specific, they might get better answers starting a specific thread on that topic....

testing the smiley --> :roll:
    Smiley problem seems to be with the Quick Reply. Hitting the Quote button opens a new interface and the smileys work...

OK, I'm cool with that. What now?

edited December 1969

:zip: <-- hmm. Seems to be working now. Maybe it's me.</p>

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! lol :snake:

Again, I think it's those moments where a person has to keep insisting that they are not being understood, it's no longer a critique of anything. It's just venting.... If we can limit the responses to a one-time short and sweet, we'd keep signal to noise ratio high..

Totally agree.

edited June 2012

EDITED for stupidity on my part :)

I think the best way to start is with an actual image. that we can practice on..... and tell each other where we went wrong in our criticism .. err I mean critique :)

edited December 1969

Better to start with an image we are proud of...? Or one where we know it's not quite there but not sure what to do next...

edited December 1969

lol! get stuck into one of mine!
    http://www.ShareCG.com/get_image.php?type=large&upload_image_id=105480
    I would be fascinated by what comments come up on THAT one!

edited June 2012

I'd love to Wendy but when I click thelink I get a php file??? or something.

edit nah it just worked, :)

well it looks like a lot of dead blokes wearing flowers on their nether regions... are they meant to look ... err ... 'stiff'?
    let me look again..... :)

hah, yes i t's a good image, I think it need s to be bigger so we can get our hands on it ... err I am digging a deep hole :)

edit" oh some of those men have breasts... is it a chicken hormone ad?
    but seriously can we gander it bigger ?

edited December 1969

That was the big link :red:

edited June 2012

Oh sorry Wendy :( IT comes up about 250 pixles at my end??
    EDIT okauy I solved the problem, clicking on your link gives a really small pic. But right clicking open in new tab on that image gives a massive one!!

Haha. Well for a start it's a wonderful idea! I guess form the leaf litter that these guys are pixies ? I like how they are all dead :) and their poses are really 'dead-like'/ Heh/

For me the shadows on the people are hard and the shadows on the leaves are spft or not there (Because it is a texture map?) and that sort of does not fit. Maybe the blood could be thicker and have more opacity reflection and shine. Was there something like a sky for the blood to reflect? That might help a little, and the opacity might hide the outside edge which is delineated i n a band.

Maybe scattering some flowers around would help tie in the piece as well ?
    For some reason it reminds me of a an english painter Richard Dadd who went mad and killed his father and did a wonderful painting called Crazy Jane ....

Maybe the blood on the bdodies could be more streaked and follow gravity as well. at the moment it looks like you used a cellular blender? Maybe some good old lacerations? Hahahahahahah (that's me being crazy) Happy weekend.

I put something here for Critique if anyone would like to play

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3069/

thanks in advance :)

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Oh sorry Wendy :( IT comes up about 250 pixles at my end??
    EDIT okauy I solved the problem, clicking on your link gives a really small pic. But right clicking open in new tab on that image gives a massive one!!
    yeah forgot about that, shared a huge HF teagarden background and everyone said it was only 600 pixels! (it was 12000x6000)

Haha. Well for a start it's a wonderful idea! I guess form the leaf litter that these guys are pixies ? I like how they are all dead :) and their poses are really 'dead-like'/ Heh/
    just beautiful bodies! playing with Poser ragdoll physics saved as poses!
    like the idea of die young, leave a beautiful corpse, bit of dark humour.

For me the shadows on the people are hard and the shadows on the leaves are spft or not there (Because it is a texture map?) and that sort of does not fit. Maybe the blood could be thicker and have more opacity reflection and shine. Was there something like a sky for the blood to reflect? That might help a little, and the opacity might hide the outside edge which is delineated i n a band.

Maybe scattering some flowers around would help tie in the piece as well ?
    For some reason it reminds me of a an english painter Richard Dadd who went mad and killed his father and did a wonderful painting called Crazy Jane ....

Maybe the blood on the bdodies could be more streaked and follow gravity as well. at the moment it looks like you used a cellular blender? Maybe some good old lacerations? Hahahahahahah (that's me being crazy) Happy weekend.

yeah just a texture map, Stonemasons Enchanted forest floor in fact,
    I did a layered shader on the bodies using the body textures saved as a multichannel shader in one channel and a marble transparency proceedural one in the other, was an experiment at adding a layer of texture like layered image editor does in Daz studio, needs work I agree
    not sure how I can get gravity effects except texturing them with 3Dpaint perhaps.

I put something here for Critique if anyone would like to play

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3069/

thanks in advance :)
    love the likeness of your friend, the first though good and sort of toony could creep out relatives, if he was not dead it would have made a good facebook avatar for example.
    really like the second one, only the shadow on the water looks a bit odd, water reflective, should not cast shadows, if it is the sand subsurface it should be very blurry and distorted, otherwise brilliant.
    the third image has a nice logo look to it, would make a great page illustration with a blog on your friend.

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    EDITED for stupidity on my part :)

I think the best way to start is with an actual image. that we can practice on..... and tell each other where we went wrong in our criticism .. err I mean critique :)

:lol: I like the stupid part. It came through with the email alert of the post. :lol:

So, are we going to be criticismers or critiquers?