32nd Daz3D Bryce Render challenge ### In The Dark Of The Night ###

Comments

• HenryhorHenryhor Posts: 258

@ Horo: thanks for the explanation

@ Dave Savage: thanks. Interesting POV and great lighting. Sometimes it's possible to rework a model with Hexagon.

@ adbc: scary indeed. The "gardener" doesn't look friendly. Well done.

Some great shots of the moon. I tried to take a pic of the blood moon recently. All I got was a dark picture laugh

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,115

Henryhor : thanks.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited October 2018

Night flight

Bryce 7 Pro. Render Premium TA 36 rpp, soft shadows. Render time 15:32.
    Lighting: Sun and Bryce Sky HDRI.
    Modeling: Bryce exclusively.
    File size 3.72 MB.

+++++++++

Night flight over a planet, almost devoid of atmosphere. Her satellite, resembling the Earth, hangs in the sky. This satellite illuminates the meager alien landscape with its reflected light.

Night flight.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 492K
    Post edited by Slepalex on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited October 2018

Cheers, Stuart and AdBc wink...sometimes everything can just be right - the time, camera settings and atmosphere etc., (it's luch 90% of the time).

Nice one, Slepalex.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,273

Slepalex - very well done scene. The planet looks really good.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797

Slepalex: Very good looking planet. Little atmosphere on the planet, but a lot in the render!

@ Slepalex: very convincing SF scene

• @ Slepalex: Cool SciFi scene- Very well done.

Slepalex : Nice planet, awesome sky, great modeling.

edited October 2018

Moonlit night on the river

Bryce 7 Pro. Render Premium TA 64 rpp. Render time 2:14:38.
    Lighting: Sun, Bryce Sky HDRI, Radial Light.
    Modeling: Bryce, Wings 3D.
    File size 18 MB.

Moonlit night on the river.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 636K
    Post edited by Slepalex on

@ Slepalex: a nice place for a midnight bath

Slepalex - very peaceful scene.

Yeah, Slepalex...nice scene - weird dots around the Moon on larger image (perhaps the leafs to the apparent small tree on the right need to be scaled down size-wise).

Jay

• @ Slepalex: WOW! Really beautiful.

Jamahoney said:

Yeah, Slepalex...nice scene - weird dots around the Moon on larger image (perhaps the leafs to the apparent small tree on the right need to be scaled down size-wise).

Jay

Thank. Black or burnt-out pixels are the result of a TA render combined with HDRI when they are encountered with transparent and translucent materials. This effect is known to all advanced brycers. How to deal with it is a difficult question. 64 beams per pixel did not save the situation. If render were Normal AA, then black pixels could not appear.
    The moon consists of a sphere with my photo taken a few years ago. A small halo around the moon is also a sphere with Fuzzi material and some transparency. A large halo is a 2D Disk with some transparency and a transparency mask. Thus, in the path of the rays there are two translucent materials.
    The tree on the right is very close to the camera. Right away is a copy of this tree.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,161

Slepalex - two awesome entries.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    Slepalex said:
    Black or burnt-out pixels are the result of a TA render combined with HDRI when they are encountered with transparent and translucent materials. This effect is known to all advanced brycers. How to deal with it is a difficult question. 64 beams per pixel did not save the situation. If render were Normal AA, then black pixels could not appear.

I find that when I have had the black pixels problem, the fault is usually an imorted model that just needed smoothing... It's not the first thing you'd think of and usually the black pixels aren't even on the model itself, but usually solves the problem... Lovely render though... Especially the water looks spot on.

Slepalex said:
    Black or burnt-out pixels are the result of a TA render combined with HDRI when they are encountered with transparent and translucent materials. This effect is known to all advanced brycers. How to deal with it is a difficult question. 64 beams per pixel did not save the situation. If render were Normal AA, then black pixels could not appear.

I find that when I have had the black pixels problem, the fault is usually an imorted model that just needed smoothing... It's not the first thing you'd think of and usually the black pixels aren't even on the model itself, but usually solves the problem... Lovely render though... Especially the water looks spot on.

Dave, you're right, transparent materials are not the only reason for the appearance of black pixels. White (hot) pixels may also appear on poorly lit areas in the case of rendering with TA. For example on this my work.
    There is also the problem of the "moon path". How to properly portray it in Bryce? This is a topic for another conversation.

I also observed black spots when rendering without TA. Sometimes reducing bump helps, or moving the main light sources a bit - but this may change the result too much.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797
    edited October 2018

Slepalex: Despite the few black pixels, it is a great serene render.

My first entry: Alone in the dark night.

Astronaut was a freebie, moon is Dave's moon, shuttle and flashlight were freebies too. Used an HDRI (abstract, whitish) to assist the sun (moon) light and a few strategically placed spotlights too.

Hope this night is not to dark for you!

Alone in the dark.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 265K
    Post edited by Hansmar on

@ Hansmar: kind of reverse birth. Interesting composition. Not too dark but the Bryce stars aren't the best

Slepalex : A very nice place to relax and enjoy the moonshine.

Hansmar : very original nice scene, subtle lighting, well done.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,161

Hansmar : very nice scene, well done.

Hansmar - great sci-fi scene. I like Henryhor's idea of reverse birth.

• Astonishing well made pictures here.

My picture is still a WIP. Actually I wanted to practise modelling with Bryce and tried to create a pub (modern style, doesn't look that cosy). Then I played around a bit with the lighting and suddenly had a night scene which might fit to this challenge here.
    My picture is called "Fog After Midnight". The excellent fog textures was made by Dan Whiteside.

FoggyNight.jpg
    1067 x 800 - 44K

Astonishing well made pictures here.

My picture is still a WIP. Actually I wanted to practise modelling with Bryce and tried to create a pub (modern style, doesn't look that cosy). Then I played around a bit with the lighting and suddenly had a night scene which might fit to this challenge here.
    My picture is called "Fog After Midnight". The excellent fog textures was made by Dan Whiteside.

Excellent!

Electro-Elvis - Dan's fog is almost always the best choice. That's a very nice night scene and the lights from the car look excellent.

edited October 2018

Tells a story straight away, Hansmar yes

It's has a smoggy street feel to it, Elvis.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited October 2018

Well I'd best get this one in before the competition closes. As it's Halloween, I just had to do something sort of along those lines.

A fair bit of simple modelling in this. Also Victoria 4.6 with the Tiffany character (from Thorneworks) and West Park Hair.

Also featuring in the scene: The four framed pictures on the wall are renders I did three or four years ago and have revisited recently to have prints done for sale in a local gallery cafe, the Bryce controls (that I made for my Bryce in a Box advert) that sit on the end of the bed wooden chest as ornaments, the bed is a freebie from 3DArchive and is textured with my photo based wood material available on ShareCG and the wallpaper is the 'Flock' design material I made at the start of the year.

The scene is lit by one single radial light with Fall Off set to 'Squared' and tinted blue to give the impression of a TV screen just out of view.

Rendered with TA and Soft Shadows at 36rpp. Render time 1.56

Title: The Monster Under The Bed

GirlOnBedALT.jpg
    800 x 800 - 526K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited November 2018

Happy Halloween!

Great challenge and awesome entries.

Here’s my first entry:

“The house on Hallow’s Eve Lane”

House/pupmpkin by 1971s.

Characters and outfits from DAZ3D.

Illuminated by the Bryce moon, 6 radial lights and 2 spehrtical dome lights.

About 2 1/2 hours to render at 16 RPP, True Ambience enabled.

Thanks for looking!

hallow_eve_lane.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 246K
    Post edited by Dan Whiteside on