Daz Install Manager "cannot be run with elevated permissions"

Comments

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382

And this just happened when I updated DIM as well. I never changed anything having to do with Daz, The installation itself seems to install DIM with admin priveleges by default.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    SileneUK said:
    Chohole said:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/256926/daz-install-manager-dim-1-1-0-98-now-available/p1
    ---
    The very first post of the announcement thread links directly to the page within your Product Library.

Thanks, had to truncate your link to end with the thread number as a mail error popped up.   I got it (per Daikatana)... but it did not help with the permissions thingy at all for me.  I had not used DIM for some time as we have had family health issues to deal with.  I went to download a puchase and saw I needed to update DIM.  It then just started to do its thing (with the 32 version) then I got the permissions problem message and searched the forums to find out what it was about.  

Did it really matter if you were using the 32 or 64 version?  It's such a little programme?  Does the permission issue arise because of Windows 7?  When I go to the change account user thing in the Control Panel, the dialogue box says:

Not recommended. Choose this only if you need to use programs that are not certified for Windows 7 because they do not support User Account Control.

If that is so, then isn't the problem with DIM itself???

indecision  Silene

I think it was Vista that introduced UAC. The issue isn't having UAC on, which should be the default, but trying to run (or the consiquences of having previously run) DIM "As Administrator".

All my applications data are located in the Administrator file... all applications have been installed as administrator and I have lots of applications. Never had this happen with any other programme.  No one uses this machine but me.  I think I will just have to leave permissions lowered when using DIM, then put them back to their previous mid-range level when finished. 

Oh well... annoying but not a biggie in my case.

frown  Silene

• SileneUK said:
    SileneUK said:
    Chohole said:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/256926/daz-install-manager-dim-1-1-0-98-now-available/p1
    ---
    The very first post of the announcement thread links directly to the page within your Product Library.

Thanks, had to truncate your link to end with the thread number as a mail error popped up.   I got it (per Daikatana)... but it did not help with the permissions thingy at all for me.  I had not used DIM for some time as we have had family health issues to deal with.  I went to download a puchase and saw I needed to update DIM.  It then just started to do its thing (with the 32 version) then I got the permissions problem message and searched the forums to find out what it was about.  

Did it really matter if you were using the 32 or 64 version?  It's such a little programme?  Does the permission issue arise because of Windows 7?  When I go to the change account user thing in the Control Panel, the dialogue box says:

Not recommended. Choose this only if you need to use programs that are not certified for Windows 7 because they do not support User Account Control.

indecision  Silene

I think it was Vista that introduced UAC. The issue isn't having UAC on, which should be the default, but trying to run (or the consiquences of having previously run) DIM "As Administrator".

All my applications data are located in the Administrator file... all applications have been installed as administrator and I have lots of applications. Never had this happen with any other programme.  No one uses this machine but me.  I think I will just have to leave permissions lowered when using DIM, then put them back to their previous mid-range level when finished. 

frown  Silene

Using an administrator account is not the same as running as administrator. The former is fine, and will not cause issues (in itself).

edited June 2018
    SileneUK said:
    SileneUK said:
    Chohole said:

---

indecision  Silene

frown  Silene

Using an administrator account is not the same as running as administrator. The former is fine, and will not cause issues (in itself).

But I unticked Run As Administrator in the Properties/Compatibility priviliges dialogue  box from the exe icon, and from the actual exe file by right-clicking. Both before, after, uninstalling, raise, lower UAC...nothing changed. Daikatana's procedure did not work for me. I can live with it... unless there is a definite solution. Usually you have magical powers about solutions!  indecisionfrown Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    SileneUK said:
    SileneUK said:
    SileneUK said:
    Chohole said:

---

indecision  Silene

frown  Silene

But I unticked Run As Administrator in the Properties/Compatibility priviliges dialogue  box from the exe icon, and from the actual exe file by right-clicking. Both before, after, uninstalling, raise, lower UAC...nothing changed. Daikatana's procedure did not work for me. I can live with it... unless there is a definite solution. Usually you have magical powers about solutions!  indecisionfrown Silene

Do you mean you previously did have "Run As Admin" ticked?

SileneUK said:
    SileneUK said:
    SileneUK said:
    Chohole said:

---

indecision  Silene

frown  Silene

Do you mean you previously did have "Run As Admin" ticked?

Mike, I am so confused now, that I can't recall how it was when running the earlier one for 32-bit. Never checked that. I think I just dove in with the update as DIM would not work (as it does when it requires an update, or you have to choose work offline).  I think after upgrading to 64-bit I may have ticked it and then unticked it in between doing all the restarts and re-installs, etc.  It's definitely unticked now, DIM been reinstalled, UACs down to zero and all files are in their proper homes again, and I can live with this now.

If someone else with W7 64-bit has done something to cure it, I am happy to try.  Busy with granddaughter today, maybe later when she's napping (hopefully)!

indecision  Silene

• DarkEdgeDesignDarkEdgeDesign Posts: 488
    edited June 2018

Yup since the new version install cannot run on my laptop. Shortcut is not set to Run as Admin, my UAC is off, and I am not asking the shortcut to Run as Admin.

Still i get the same error. Can Daz please help us out??

Laptop is Windows 7 x64 bit if that helps

Post edited by DarkEdgeDesign on
  • Yup since the new version install cannot run on my laptop. Shortcut is not set to Run as Admin, my UAC is off, and I am not asking the shortcut to Run as Admin.

Still i get the same error. Can Daz please help us out??

Laptop is Windows 7 x64 bit if that helps

What happens if you turn UAC on? Have you checked the permissions on the Install manager folders, and on its preferences (in %AppData%Daz 3D/InstallManager)

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited June 2018

Win7-64 home. DIM32bit (in x86 folder NOT Program Files). UAC on (have always had to okay new installation)

Cannot run DIM now.

Privilege on icon 'ok to run as administrator'

I changed nothing. It's on your end.

I need a solution.

adding and clarifications: Administrators full control on DIM folder and "allow trusted installer special permissions"

Post edited by Spit on

It's working now!

All I did was uncheck 'run program as administrator' on the shortcut. At least it seems to be and am assuming it can still write to its former directories.

(My login is not an administrator as far as I can tell because the item 'run as administrator' shows up when I right-click program icons)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,299
    edited June 2018
    Spit said:
    (My login is not an administrator as far as I can tell because the item 'run as administrator' shows up when I right-click program icons)

No, that doesn't follow - running (normally) from an admin account is the same as running from a non-admin account. It's when you use the Run as Admistrator command (which requires an admin account to authorise it) that it becomes an issue.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

The situation still seems screwy. I don't know if the icon had 'run as administrator' when I installed the update b/c I had no reason to check for it let alone change it. After the update installed it tried to run DIM (as has happened every update in the past) and the message came up. Did not check what the icon said, just right-clicked on icon and said 'run as administrator' and tried runnning DIM and the same message appeared again.

Then I looked at and removed checkmark on 'run as administrator' on the icon and it worked.

Possibilities from this info:

(1) 'Run as Adminstrator' was on the icon all along but didn't cause troubles until this update

(2) 'Run as Administrator' was never on the icon before and the update put it there.

If my (AFTER seeing the message) selecting 'Run as Administrator' from right-click menu put the checkmark on the icon it wouldn't explain why I got the message BEFORE AND AFTER I did this.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,299
    edited June 2018
    Spit said:
    (1) 'Run as Adminstrator' was on the icon all along but didn't cause troubles until this update

The refusal to "Run As Administrator" is new to this version, so it could have been like that for a while without your realising. The check was added as people were using the command, and it was causing problems.

.Sooooo, I was right smiley

So at some point DAZ put it in the icon but THIS update checks to be sure it's NOT running as administrator yet forgot to remove it from the icon.

You know I love you all, but this, well. lol

• Daz would not have set it to run as admin, it simply didn't check before now that it wasn't being run that way. The advice, from support and the devs, has alwasy been to not run as admin, and I know we have been posting that in forum threads for a long time.

Okay, I obviously misunderstood 'The check was added....' sentence and was wrong. I identified the problem, but not the reason.

• grossryangrossryan Posts: 0

i love it how when im forced to update the product taht im no longer able to use it as as already was... FAIL. It may be time to think about not using DAZ and switching to another platform.

• grossryan said:

i love it how when im forced to update the product taht im no longer able to use it as as already was... FAIL. It may be time to think about not using DAZ and switching to another platform.

Running as admistrator has always been a bad idea, and has caused issues for users. That is why it has been disabled now. There's no beenfit to doing it, so you are not losing anything.

• l2jmasterl2jmaster Posts: 7
    edited July 2018

[bother], this do not fixed anything still geting the error as mentioned in the topic. where to downoad old version of DIM... damn updates..  

Edited to remove implicit profanity

edited July 2018
    grossryan said:

Running as admistrator has always been a bad idea, and has caused issues for users. That is why it has been disabled now. There's no beenfit to doing it, so you are not losing anything.

Never study it then.

• l2jmaster said:

[bother], this do not fixed anything still geting the error as mentioned in the topic. where to downoad old version of DIM... damn updates..  

Edited to remove implicit profanity

How are you running DIM? Do you have UAC turned off?

yes it is completle off. As i mentioned it does not work. Where do download previous versions which was working with out any problems.

Please paste the link. Daz Install Manager (DIM) 1.1.0.74 for example.

• l2jmaster said:

yes it is completle off. As i mentioned it does not work. Where do download previous versions which was working with out any problems.

Previous versions are not available, I'm afraid - and wouldn't work to log-in if they were. Please try turning UAC on and see if you can then run DIM; if you can please report it as a possible bug (though it may be unavoidable behaviour depending on how Windows reports privileges).

edited July 2018
    l2jmaster said:

Previous versions are not available, I'm afraid - and wouldn't work to log-in if they were. Please try turning UAC on and see if you can then run DIM; if you can please report it as a possible bug (though it may be unavoidable behaviour depending on how Windows reports privileges).

As i already mentioned ive tried all the mentioned fixed above in this topic, this does not work. My account is pure Admin. I believe support should provide previous versions of installer. as now 24 is waist to bin. If developers do not know what they are doing or doing such things there should be warning... I clearly see now that DAZ do not care. GL all ..

• l2jmaster said:
    l2jmaster said:

As i already mentioned ive tried all the mentioned fixed above in this topic, this does not work. My account is pure Admin. I believe support should provide previous versions of installer. as now 24 is waist to bin. If developers do not know what they are doing or doing such things there should be warning... I clearly see now that DAZ do not care. GL all ..

The issue is not running from a admin account, which is the same as running from a non admin account. The issue is using the Run as Administrator command, or having run as Administrator checked in the Properties>Shortcut tab>Advanced dialogue accessed via right-click.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,787

I just asked about this problem in my own thread, got sent to this thread with my thread being closed, did everything I could understand in this thread, and DIM still won't open or work with the same error message as before. So how was closing my thread beneficial?

Unlike most in this forum, I don't use multiple 3D programs ... I use DAZ only. And I have no interest in iRay or genesis figures ... so I get that choosing not to upgrade DAZ has limited my options ... but the more DAZ makes things harder rather than simpler, the more I go elsewhere to buy what I need. I just want crap to work as it's advertised to work, or all it does is waste my time.

• I just asked about this problem in my own thread, got sent to this thread with my thread being closed, did everything I could understand in this thread, and DIM still won't open or work with the same error message as before. So how was closing my thread beneficial?

Unlike most in this forum, I don't use multiple 3D programs ... I use DAZ only. And I have no interest in iRay or genesis figures ... so I get that choosing not to upgrade DAZ has limited my options ... but the more DAZ makes things harder rather than simpler, the more I go elsewhere to buy what I need. I just want crap to work as it's advertised to work, or all it does is waste my time.

Have you got DIM set to Run as Administrator - by right-clicking and selecting that option, or by the settings in the OS Properties dialogue? If not, do you have UAC on?

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,787

Have you got DIM set to Run as Administrator - by right-clicking and selecting that option, or by the settings in the OS Properties dialogue? If not, do you have UAC on?

I've tried everything mention in this thread. Nothing is working. 

• daemmondaemmon Posts: 0

To run Install Manager without elevated permissions just try to press SHIFT and right click on Install Manager icon and choose "run as different user" Than choose another user than administrator. For example Admin. It works for me.

• daemmon said:

To run Install Manager without elevated permissions just try to press SHIFT and right click on Install Manager icon and choose "run as different user" Than choose another user than administrator. For example Admin. It works for me.

That isn't the issue - it's fine to run Install Manager from an admin account, as long as it isn't "Run as Administrator" via right-click menu or short-cut Properties. Just launching an application from an admin account doesn't not give it elevated privileges.