Normal Maps?

2»

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631

Did you not watch the video?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Okay, here's the video.

I did not cover the prep work you have to do for previous generations before you can properly export.  Basically, that is:

Export Gen 4/G1/G2 from Daz Studio as an obj.

Import to your modeler.

Split into UV regions.  There should only be 3 or four (face zone, torso zone, limbs zone, gens if using those, etc.).  Delete the eyelashes, eyeballs and inner mouth.

Export again.

When you import to Zbrush you will need to polygroup by UVs.  Sometimes this will result in it putting the ears on a separate polygroup from everything and the arms and legs separated, and you will have to use selection, masking and "group masked" to get things in their proper places.  Always make sure this is done BEFORE YOU START SCULPTING if you're using these figures.

TY; great to see. You make it look easy. :)

• Can we expect a video?

This would be so cool!

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631

The video link has been posted.  Twice.

• edited November 2015

OMG, this is so cool, thank you! Your video is really amazing. Also, such a nice voice.

Thank you. I also understand now why you have chosen G3 instead of G2 or anything else.

Do you perhaps also plan a video on how to edit the texture via polypaint in ZBrush and export the maps to G3?

I was really surprised about your workflow. I watched some other tutorials that required so much work while your workflow was just plain and beautiful.

Edit: I have just found out that the Texture Atlas in DAZ 4.8 has a bug with Genesis 3 which makes exporting the texture maps to ZBrush really difficult.

I hope DAZ fixes it first.

Post edited by johann.hesters_2e9dd0ece9 on
  • Can anyone tell me why my normal maps are misaligned...and just my normal maps?  They are the correct maps I triple checked...but it's like they're tiled wrong.

• Spydraxis (Todd Grosser) said:

Can anyone tell me why my normal maps are misaligned...and just my normal maps?  They are the correct maps I triple checked...but it's like they're tiled wrong.

In the Editor tab of Surfaces pane click the micro-thumbnail of the normal map to open the image menu, the one you go to to select or browse for an image, and select Image Editor - not layered Image Editor. That should have per-image tiling options, which stack with the per-surface settings.