What I lack in everything, I make up for with enthusiasm :)

Comments

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    Carola O said:

It's a cute one :)

Thanks! They are rather cute together :)

edited February 2021

It had taken some time, but eventually, Khith had come to enjoy his job as a caravan guard. Especially at night, when they stopped to rest and all became quiet and peaceful. The sounds of peope sleeping, or talking quietly, horses grazing or chewing on hay. The wind whispering through the trees reminded him of home. The memories no longer tied his stomach into a knot. They no longer made him want to turn and run back as fast as he could. Instead, they made him smile. One day, he'd go back. Until then, he would enjoy this life of travelling.

Standing Watch

Post edited by mori_mann on
    edited February 2021

It was a great honour to be chosen to present the order at the yearly gathering. Still, Valoryn was glad that this morning's talks and lectures were over. Some of the men hung back, discussing details from the earlier talks, or starting new ones. Others, got ready to leave the hall, just like he was. When he stepped outside, the young paladin was welcomed by friendly, warm sunlight and a gentle breeze. Smiling, he went to find something to eat before the afternoon programme started.

Time for a Break

edited February 2021

Finally got around to playing with the new house cat. My machine doesn't seem to hate the fur overly much.

Meet Pirate (yes, he's missing an ear and an eye) and Paws from a story I co-wrote whet my best friend :)

edited February 2021

And onther one, made for a challenge over at dA.

Sunny Days

• mori_mann said:

Finally got around to playing with the new house cat. My machine doesn't seem to hate the fur overly much.

Meet Pirate (yes, he's missing an ear and an eye) and Paws from a story I co-wrote whet my best friend :)

mori_mann said:

this is a reaaly cute render, like it!

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,909

AAAHHHHHH CATS TOO ADORABLE CANT COPE

Thanks, both! They reayy are fuzzy <3 

edited February 2021

Getting Ready

She had packed all the thing she expected to need on her journey. Then took everything out to see what else she could leave behind. After repeating this process several times – and ending up with a considerably lighter pack than she started with – Isabelle firmly pulled on the bag’s leather string one more time to tie it shut. This would have to do.

Looking around the room she used to share with her best friend, her eyes lingered on the empty bed on the opposite wall. She sighed. “Where did you go?” She asked the clean and tidy blankets. “I will find you, Amber. I promise.” The cleric knew her friend had chosen to leave. She had even left a written promise to return. There was no reason to worry. Not really. Except that this secrecy was nothing like Amber and it was more than just strange that she hadn’t written once in the months and years that passed after her departure.

Feeling too restless to go to bed, Isabelle quietly left the room, careful not to wake anyone else. A short while later, she entered the stables, where she was greeted by a soft whinny. “Hello, Shim,” she said to her big grey mare, putting her lantern on a stool. “You still miss your friend, too, don’t you?” She smiled, offering the horse a carrot. “I’m sure we’ll find her, too.” Chewing contently,  Shimmer allowed the half-elf pet her head. “I shouldn’t stay long,” Isabelle told her some time later. “We leave tomorrow. Get some rest, girl.” With that, she went back to her room to wait for dawn, wondering if she would ever see Amber again.

Yeah, I did some painting practise on the mane. Not fond of Daz Horse 2's halfway ending mane. Sure, bridle paths are a thing, but this is like a bridle highway. Yep, I need much, much more practise :D

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,904

#FindAmber! I love your animal pictures, especially the cats. heart

• nice render!

Thank you both!

Spoiler alert: She will find Amber eventually ;)

edited February 2021

Summoning

She wanted to close her eyes. It always seemed easier to feel what was happening when she did. This time, however, she did not. Fixing her gaze on a spot on the ground, she could sense the potential life in there. If given enough time, something could and would grow there. Amber fed her magic into that unformed potential, enhancing it, encouraging it to grow. Now. 

Between the blades of grass at her feet the tip of a vine poked up, growing, unfolding itself, then its leaves, reaching up to meet the hand that had summoned it.

With a small smile, the druid-in-training let go of Nature's power. The summoned plant withered and disappeared in a few breaths. It left no trace behind when it went back to its former state of raw potential. 

edited February 2021

Take That Back

Jerutha did some travelling and adventuring in his day and not always on his own. This inevitably led to people asking questions he did not want to answer and saying things he did not wish to hear. Looks like someone touched a nerve here..

Or he just set up camp in a ruin and sees someone or something approach.

Or, and that really is the most likely scenario, he did not really want me to actually take his picture when I told him I only wanted to test that hair on him. In my defense, that was my intention. Not that just testing ever happens.. But he should know that by now, too.

edited February 2021

Yerai, looking around a room in a tavern or inn. Closely observing the patrons. Who looks like they would be easily distracted so he can take something from them? Who is drunk enough to bet a good deal of money or a valuable item in a game of cards or dice? Preferably without noticing the rogue's cheating.

Observing

edited February 2021

A Simple Trick

Crossing his arms on his chest, Khith leaned against the wall. He wondered what took Yerai so long, but as the half-elf had told him to wait while he took care of something, the elf was not going to look for him. He knew his colleague well enough to figure that staying out of his business meant a much better chance of staying out of trouble. Startled by the noise of something heavy and hollow falling over and rolling on the cobbles, Khith took a step forward. It took him only a moment to realize it was only an empty barrel falling off one of the stalls in the market. Before the elf could step up and offer help, he was slapped on the shoulder.

“Run!” Yerai told him, rushing by.

A quick glance into the direction the half-elf came from showed quite some commotion, including what looked like agitated people and some guards trying to hurry through the narrow street between the stalls and shops.

Yerai had paused a few steps away. “I’m serious. Run!”

Without thinking, the elf followed him. “Why? I didn’t do anything.”

The rogue flashed him a grin. “Says who? You’re talking to me. Fleeing with me. You clearly know me. So as far as anyone is concerned, you’re in on it and you might as well have done it.”

“Done what?” Khith wanted to slow down, but the half-elf grabbed his arm and pulled him along.

“Later. Now run.” Dodging stalls and people in an apparently random pattern, Yerai pulled at the leather string tying his hair together. In passing, he took a scarf from one of the stalls and wrapped it around his head. Slowing down, a little, he seemed to look for something. “Ah, there.” With that, he hurried on. Still dragging Khith along, he crossed a street, narrowly avoiding a horse drawn cart, earning an angry shout from the driver, who had to deal with two upset horses and more traffic coming from behind.

“What are you doing?” Khith hissed at him.

“Saving our asses. Be quiet.”

The elf wanted to object when he was pulled into a narrow alley and then pushed against the wall. That changed when Yerai suddenly pressed his lips on his own. Shocked, Khith fixed his eyes on his colleague, who seemed to only have eyes for the people passing the alley’s entrance.

“Good. That’s done,” the rogue declared, stepping back and tossing the scarf on the ground. “Let’s go back to Chev and the other boys and girls.”

The elf stared at him, outraged, but couldn’t find his voice. Or any words to say. He wasn’t sure which.

“What?” The half-elf asked.

Khith blinked. “What? You.. kissed me. Why would you..” He swallowed. “Why?”

“Why not? I had to shake them off somehow, didn’t I?” Yerai chuckled quietly. “They were looking for a guy with his hair tied back, running for his life. I assumed they would not look twice at a couple making out in a back alley, in which case, they would, with a little luck, take me for a woman wearing a pretty scarf over her long, loose locks.” He grinned smugly. “I was right.”

The elf glared at him. “You could have told me, first.”

“Would you have agreed, then?”

Khith snorted. “Of course not.”

“See? I expected that. So I chose not risking a discussion about it and just went ahead and did it. It worked. You should thank me.”

“Thank you? I..” Unable to put his thoughts into words, the elf grunted and threw his hands up in frustration.

“For saving your scrawny ass. No, shut up. I’m serious. And more importantly, it’s true.” Shaking his head, the rogue sighed. “That kiss was nothing personal. It was convenient, no more than that. You won’t find me sneaking into your tent tonight.” He waggled his eyebrows. “Unless..”

“No. Never.” When the half-elf laughed at that, Khith wanted to hit him. Knowing that would only add to his amusement, he shook his head and kept his silence.

Nothing romantic. Not between these two. Just a way to trick a guard.

edited February 2021

This months contribution to Llola's render a month challenge.

Welcome to My Garden

It was also a test for some more tweaks to this girl's 3DL skin. I think I'm mostly satisfied with it now.

Nightmare

He was running. He had no idea where to, or what from, but he knew that if he stopped or even slowed down, there would be pain. Torture beyond his imagination - and he could imagine quite a bit. They would make him tell horrible lies. They would make him betray everyone he loved and would not stop there. But thinking about that was a distraction he could not afford, for his path was not free from obstacles. There were holes, bushes, trees.. Then a wall blocking both sides. Narrowing with every step he took and then a sudden stop with no other option than to jump into the water below. So he jumped, because dying was better than getting caught. The water was cold and dark. There were things down below. Pulling on his legs, dragging him down and he was tired, so tired..

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

That is one horrible nightmare *shudder* and a  really great sotry and render!

Thanks! A very nasty one to be sure.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,909

Great render!

Thank you :) I try.

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited October 2019

I really like the house cat composition and lighting. Nice job!

Post edited by Rakuda on

Animals are always fun to play around with. Thanks!

Kinda to prove a point..

The Farrier

This is Illani, who kinda came out of nowhere. She's a farrier (and a half-elf). Pose was fiddled from scratch.

edited February 2021

Fancy Meeting You Here!

Dimi didn't want to play outside, he preferred having a drink in this warm and cosy tavern.

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957
    mori_mann said:

I've seen this a couple of times now while trying to catch up on things. I have to say it really sticks with me. I like it. Nicely done.

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957

And of course your other works, like the ones I already liked at DA, are nice, too. But this is my favorite.

Thank you! I like to play around, sometimes, something nice come out of it :)

edited February 2021

After the First Day at the Job

The caravan had stopped for the night after what felt like a very long day of walking. The experienced crew smoothly started setting up camp, dividing all tasks between themselves, apparently without even giving it any thought. Khith wanted to help, but didn’t immediately see anything he could do without getting in anyone’s way. He looked around to find Yerai, but the half-elf seemed to have disappeared. Probably off to take care of something like everyone else.

Not sure how he could fit himself into this apparently well-oiled machine of people, Khith decided that staying out of the way was the best he could do. Moving around, observing everything that went on, he started to feel useless. Desperate not to seem lazy, he went to where the horses were being fed and watered. He had always liked working with animals and expected that he could at least haul water or groom a horse to keep himself occupied. Soon enough, he found himself cleaning tack and being taught how to check it for wear and damage by one of the drivers. He believed the man’s name was Arrin, or something like that.

“Found you!” Yerai’s voice broke the pleasant silence a while later. “Come on, elf boy, dinner is ready. Best get it while it’s still hot. And well, available.”

Arrin nodded, taking the long strips of leather from Khith to put them away safely. “Go eat, boy. First days make a man hungry.”

It turned out that one of the drivers, a cheerful woman named Lesita knew how to turn simple ingredients into a very tasty meal. While they ate, the crew talked about various subjects. Khith kept quiet, content to listen. When the time came to assign guard duties, the elf wanted to volunteer, but was told new people were not expected to take a watch on their first night. No amount of telling them he did not need sleep could convince them otherwise, so when Yerai and one of the other guards left to make a round around the camp and the some others left the fire to find their tents, the elf followed them to find his own.

Alone, his thoughts strayed to his family, Fheren and most of all Ellaira. He had hoped she would at least come to see the caravan off, like they used to do together whenever one left their village after a visit. But she hadn’t been among those who had come to say farewell and wish him luck. Perhaps it was for the best. Her parting words to him still stung. Knowing he would find no rest then and there, Khith left the small tent. He needed some space and fresh air.

Carrying a lit lantern, mostly for the benefit of the guards who no doubt wanted to keep an eye on him, Khith went to the wall that might at some point have been part of a larger building just outside of their camp site. Sitting down, he sighed. “I miss you, Laira,” he muttered quietly. “I hope that someday..” He shook his head. It was pointless to think about that. It was over. She had made her choice and so had he. This was his life now. Still, it was a very long time before he finally went back to his tent.  

edited February 2021

My first and perhaps only entry for this year's 'Raining Men Contest' :)

It's also a close up that I just had to make while working on a full (story telling) scene. It's what I do. Doesn't help that the full scene is not really cooperative. I still intend to finish that, too, at some point. 

Exhausted