Is there a way to set Spot Render Tool to use "New Window" setting by default? (SOLVED)

EtheralEtheral Posts: 91

Is there any way to make the spot render tool use the "New Window" setting by default? It's really annoying having to set it every time I open daz studio and I often forget and end up wasting time waiting for it to start rendering a spot on the viewport which is a completely useless default function. I've looked to write a script and dissected the dzspotrendertool.dll file to see the functions but I can't really figure it out. There's no documentation for this either.

EDIT: I solved the issue with a script. See my post here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5411396/#Comment_5411396

Post edited by Etheral on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,287

Most tool settings stick between sessions, so I would report this as a possible bug https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

• EtheralEtheral Posts: 91

Most tool settings stick between sessions, so I would report this as a possible bug https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

Damn. I found a bunch of tool settings that don't stick between sessions, and a bunch that do. I looked through some dsx files in roaming but can't find where these specific settings are for the ones that do manage to get stored. I'll just give up, I guess.

Please report them first.

Done. Though I don't expect to see this being fixed within any foreseeable future unfortunately for me.

Thank you.

• AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718
    Etheral said:

Done. Though I don't expect to see this being fixed within any foreseeable future unfortunately for me.

You are right with that. 03/Nov/2018

• evilcho_evilcho_ Posts: 79

19 May 2019 and this is still happens for me.

• sunnyjeisunnyjei Posts: 502
    How do you save spot renders??? (I didn't realize that was even an option T__T )
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,386
    edited February 2020
    sunnyjei said:
    How do you save spot renders??? (I didn't realize that was even an option T__T )

If you spot render to a new window you have the same save options in the render window as for any render.

Post edited by Leana on
    Leana said:
    sunnyjei said:

If you spot render to a new window you have the same save options in the render window as for any render.

As far as I can tell, when I spot render it just renders within the viewport. I went to Render Settings and it is set to Render Target-> New Window. When I do a full/regular render it does cause a pop up window to happen.  Not sure where/what to change to get spot render to open to a new window...

You can change the target of spot renders in the tools settings tab when you have the spot render tool active.

Leana said:

You can change the target of spot renders in the tools settings tab when you have the spot render tool active.

Holy smokes-today I learned surprisesurprisesurprise I've been doing that in viewport then doing a screen capture when I could have been doing this all along. Thank you very much for this info :)

sunnyjei said:
    Leana said:

Holy smokes-today I learned surprisesurprisesurprise I've been doing that in viewport then doing a screen capture when I could have been doing this all along. Thank you very much for this info :)

The other advantage to spot render in a new window it that it should be done at the target image size, so if you need to fix a small defect you can easily re-render just a small section at the correct size and overlay it with your original image.

edited March 2020

It's been almost 3 years and this obvious issue still hasn't been fixed. I have finally figured out a startup script to fix it:

MainWindow.getViewportMgr().findTool("DzSpotRenderTool").setIsNewWindow(true);

You can make DAZ Studio run this script each time it starts by going to Edit > Preferences > Startup and choosing a file for Load File that contains this script. Note that the tool settings still says "Viewport" instead of "New Window", however internally it is already set to new window so you shouldn't touch the tool setting.

Post edited by Etheral on
    edited November 2021

Etheral said:

It's been almost 3 years and this obvious issue still hasn't been fixed. I have finally figured out a startup script to fix it:

You can make DAZ Studio run this script each time it starts by going to Edit > Preferences > Startup and choosing a file for Load File that contains this script. Note that the tool settings still says "Viewport" instead of "New Window", however internally it is already set to new window so you shouldn't touch the tool setting.

I haven't had any luck getting this to work. Does it still work, if so any clues to make it work would be much appreciated. I tried adding to an existing script file and adding it to its own dsa file and making that the start up file, no luck. Is there anything before and/or after that needs to be added?

OH! got it working. I added it to the 'layout' Script! Yeah! 

Post edited by AbnerK on
  • OH! got it working. I added it to the 'layout' Script! Yeah! 

Hi AbnerK

Could you (or anyone) explain to a noob like me what/where this "layout" file is and where in the file to add this new code? 

Thanks!

edited April 2022

craig_visser said:

Hi AbnerK

Could you (or anyone) explain to a noob like me what/where this "layout" file is and where in the file to add this new code? 

Thanks!

well, I've had a glitch and messed up my layout by mistake then updated Daz so, I'm having to do it again now. I'll talk you through it's really easy.

on Windows

C:\Users\your_name\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4/

layout.dsa

Open in with a text editor.

Make a new line right under the first one so line 2 and paste in this

remember you need the whole thing including the punctuation, don't add anything else. Save and restart Daz. (it won't be obvious it's fixed, the tool setting won't show a yellow dot in the 'new window' setting. Just do a test.

You can aslo add a shortcut to your SpotRender button. I make it 'S' I delete all the other single letter viewport navigations. The amount of times I forget to lock my camer and accidentally move the camera was stupid! Your changes to shortcuts won't stick if Daz crashes. Make sure you restart properly and let it finish clearing. It can take ages. I open up my Task Manager and check to see if Daz has closed fully before I shutdown.

I'm going to check it and I'll edit if it doesn't work in the new update. Yep works fine. Good luck. I don't check notifications so I'll try to check in regularly if you need help.

Post edited by AbnerK on
  • AbnerK said:

craig_visser said:

Hi AbnerK

Thanks!

well, I've had a glitch and messed up my layout by mistake then updated Daz so, I'm having to do it again now. I'll talk you through it's really easy.

on Windows

C:\Users\your_name\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4/

layout.dsx

Open in with a text editor.

Make a new line right under the first one so line 2 and paste in this

remember you need the whole thing including the punctuation, don't add anything else. Save and restart Daz. (it won't be obvious it's fixed, the tool setting won't show a yellow dot in the 'new window' setting. Just do a test.

You can aslo add a shortcut to your SpotRender button. I make it 'S' I delete all the other single letter viewport navigations. The amount of times I forget to lock my camer and accidentally move the camera was stupid! Your changes to shortcuts won't stick if Daz crashes. Make sure you restart properly and let it finish clearing. It can take ages. I open up my Task Manager and check to see if Daz has closed fully before I shutdown.

I'm going to check it and I'll edit if it doesn't work in the new update. Yep works fine. Good luck. I don't check notifications so I'll try to check in regularly if you need help.

layout.dsx is an XML data file, not a script - was it perhaps layout.dsa that you were editing?

Richard Haseltine said:

layout.dsx is an XML data file, not a script - was it perhaps layout.dsa that you were editing?

Oh, blimey, yes. Sorry. 

• LoonyLoony Posts: 1,817

Etheral said:

How do you that?  I have a news scene.duf but the .duf can not be edited because it's compressed, only .dsa can be edited. And I have no idea how you want "contains this script"to be applied to my new scene set.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,171
    edited November 2023

Loony said:

Etheral said:

How do you that?  I have a news scene.duf but the .duf can not be edited because it's compressed, only .dsa can be edited. And I have no idea how you want "contains this script"to be applied to my new scene set.

Use Windows - Panes - Script IDE, paste the code and save as DSA... He meant each time when DS is launched rather than a DUF (scene or subset...)

Uncompress DUF, Windows - Panes - Batch Convert...

Post edited by crosswind on
    edited November 2023

crosswind said:

Loony said:

Etheral said:

Use Windows - Panes - Script IDE, paste the code and save as DSA... He meant each time when DS is launched rather than a DUF (scene or subset...)

Uncompress DUF, Windows - Panes - Batch Convert...

And inside the script do I write the line from you? and then?

I can't follow your instructions completely, also not the last part :(

Edit: Ohhh I did open the Batch convert, inserted my New Scene (copy; made a backup) and then it got readable to me!

And... can I include now into that scene file my script and if yes, HOW :3 ?

Post edited by Loony on
    edited November 2023

Edit: Ohhh I did open the Batch convert, inserted my New Scene (copy; made a backup) and then it got readable to me!

Yes ~ please:

1 ~ Windows - Panes (Tabs) - Script IDE...
    2 ~ Paste the coed and save as a dsa file
    3 ~ F2, Startup tab, tick Load File, and assign dsa file there.

Any script you wanna run when DS starts up, paste the code into that dsa file...

SNAG-2023-11-17-0000.png
    1622 x 1397 - 120K
    SNAG-2023-11-17-0001.png
    972 x 616 - 34K
    SNAG-2023-11-17-0002.png
    628 x 637 - 22K
    Post edited by crosswind on

crosswind said:

Yes ~ please:

Any script you wanna run when DS starts up, paste the code into that dsa file...

Hi, but that "slot" is already used with my startup scene, "new scene.duf" 

Loony said:

crosswind said:

Yes ~ please:

Hi, but that "slot" is already used with my startup scene, "new scene.duf" 

Yes ~~ that's one of its cons as only one file could be defined there for Startup... That was why I said "...paste the code into dsa file"...

You define a dsa file there in which you put the code of loading your " new scene.duf ", as down below ~~

Scene.loadScene('H:/My DAZ3D Library/![My Scenes]/new scene.duf', Scene.OpenNew);

SNAG-2023-11-18-0003.png
    1035 x 848 - 45K
    Oh you are so smart Thank you, I will try it the next days, when I'm back on my PC.

crosswind said

Yes ~~ that's one of its cons as only one file could be defined there for Startup... That was why I said "...paste the code into dsa file"...

You define a dsa file there in which you put the code of loading your " new scene.duf ", as down below ~~

Scene.loadScene('H:/My DAZ3D Library/![My Scenes]/new scene.duf', Scene.OpenNew);

Full: https://i.imgur.com/oiGu3Gx.jpeg

It doesn't work.

Btw. wierd that I have not to use " \ " I need to use "/" in windows is it \.

But however, it doesn't work :/

1. You just need to "frame to render" in Viewport with Spot Render Tool, and ignore that Tool Settings pane. It works...you'll get the render window... The status you see in the Tool Settings pane is that "bug" ...i.e. the pane could not get the current status....

2. Daz Script uses "/" rather than "\"...

crosswind said:

1. You just need to "frame to render" in Viewport with Spot Render Tool, and ignore that Tool Settings pane. It works...you'll get the render window... The status you see in the Tool Settings pane is that "bug" ...i.e. the pane could not get the current status....

So, the option is changed, but not visible in the UI?

Loony said:

crosswind said:

So, the option is changed, but not visible in the UI?

Nope....