Daz Imposibly slow/laggy in viewport even in blank scene.

Hello, I have seen versions of this problem in the formus here, but this one seems simple and I might be missing something...

My Daz rght for the past numer of days lags whenever I try to do any activity in the main central viewport.  It takes about 5-10 secs for any perspective change, camera rotation, object selection, or any other command, which pretty much makes getting anything done impossible.  The lag doesn't happen in the side menus, as long as  don't let the cursor touch the center vieport in any way, otherwise the lag begins and I have to wait no matter where I am trying to click. 

Things I have tried so far and am still having the problem:

-Working in a completely empty scene, and working with a simple untextured primitive

-updating/ renistalling video driver

-updating/ reinstalling Daz

-changing view to wireframe, smooth shader, etc.  It is not in iRay preview.

-turning off anti-aliasing

-confrming that there is no "mesh smoothing" occurring with any object in the scene.

-changing mode to "performance"

-restoring default settings

-restarting computer (yeah, I know sometimes that all you need to do...)

-letting the program sit open and idle in case it's trying to catch up or something.  The hard drive DOES seem to be having activity, so maybe there's something it seems to be working on.

I haven't had this much of a lag with Daz before and as far as I know, no settings or updates have occurred on my computer,

SO, anyone else here experienced or solved this problem?  I'd apprecate the help!  Thank you so much!

Comments

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728

Sounds like you've done a fair bit of trouble shooting, which is handy. Have you checked resource monitor to see is there are some heavy tasks going on, either HD IO and/or CPU intensive?

Does the lag happen if you have no geometry loaded, or just afterloading props/figures?

• glyonbalglyonbal Posts: 24

Hello, i have the same problem. Even after formatting, always the problem.

Before, all working. Now, i can do nothing with this lag. This lag is present same with the blank scene.

Please, help us to resolve this problem. Thank you.

• HI, Jim!  Thanks for your reply. 

Looking at the resource monitor was a great idea.  I had never known about it before.  With Daz open and nothing else, the CPU is at 3-7% usage at 109% Maximum frequency, and used physical memory is at 58%.  Not sure if that is good or bad.  But I will definitely learn more about what the readouts mean.

As for the lag issue, it happens from the very start of the program.  It doesn't seem to matter if it is a completely empty scene or if there is one prop or many loaded,  I paid close attention, and realized that if the cursor moves into any part of the central viewport, it takes exactly 5 seconds each time before a new command will be accepted.  Strangely enough, this means hovering the mouse over something and waiting for the icon or highlighted area to change to indicate something is happening .  So I can click the perspective cube, or click (with the intention to drag) on a body part of a figure, and and as long as I wait the 5 seconds for it to recognize the cursor, hold down the mouse button for 5 seconds and don't release it,then perform the action, it actually rotates or moves smoothly..  So now it's pretty much the exasperation of having to do this Every Time I want to do anything in the viewport when it would normally just take a split second. 

And as I was typing this, yes, I considered that it may be a mouse hardware issue, hahaha.  I wish it was that easy, but it wasn't that.

Thanks again,

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,341

Did you try the different settings for Edit>Preferences>Interface>Display Optimisation?

• tj_1ca9500btj_1ca9500b Posts: 2,048
    edited May 2017

Here's a suggestion I saw posted in another thread, that helped increase my displayport responsiveness significantly.

Llynara said:

Here's a good article on how to speed up the viewport too: https://www.versluis.com/2015/06/how-to-enable-hardware-acceleration-in-daz-studio/

Have you tried this yet?

Post edited by tj_1ca9500b on

Did you try the different settings for Edit>Preferences>Interface>Display Optimisation?

Here's a suggestion I saw posted in another thread, that helped increase my displayport responsiveness significantly.

Llynara said:

Here's a good article on how to speed up the viewport too: https://www.versluis.com/2015/06/how-to-enable-hardware-acceleration-in-daz-studio/

Have you tried this yet?

Change nothnig for me. Before, all working. Now, not.

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited May 2017

I thought "performance" was the same as the display optimization, but I see that's texture related. Good tip.

DMSharess, what are your system specs?

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,103

Make sure the screen isn't set for Iray. The little ball beside the Camera View, click on it and choose Texture Shaded.

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,612

when moving a camera around gets super laggy, I create a new camera and suddenly things work smoothly again.

• EtheralEtheral Posts: 91
    Lyoness said:

when moving a camera around gets super laggy, I create a new camera and suddenly things work smoothly again.

Do you have anything set to point at the camera? Like the characters eyes for example. If you set their eyes to point at the camera, the viewport from the camera is going to get laggy when you move since it's recalculating the models constantly as their eyes move to follow the camera.

• Thank you for all the suggestions!  And, glyonbal, I am glad I am not the only one that seems to be experiencing this problem, although of course it would be best if it wasn't happening at all.

I wish that the ideas had made a difference, but alas everything is still the same... I've been using this program for years on this same computer and for some reason this issue has popped up. 

In a flash of inspiration, I decided to unintstall 4.9 and re-install 4.5, which is still available from the Daz website, and surprsingly the lag in the viewport remained the same.  I then uninstalled 4.5 and reinstalled 4.9. and despite the propgram being reset to default completely and the scene empty, the issue was still there, which leads me to conclude that the problem MUST not be with the Daz program itself, but with my computer.  Perhaps there was a software update or something that I didn't notice, so I will do more digging.

So thank you all for reading about this problem and all the great responses, even though the outcome wasn't the program working properly, it was great to have the moral support!

Thanks again.

((and Jim, I'm actually not sure which system specs you were mentioning in your most recent message, but perhaps that would be good for me to find out))

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,612
    Etheral said:
    Lyoness said:

Do you have anything set to point at the camera? Like the characters eyes for example. If you set their eyes to point at the camera, the viewport from the camera is going to get laggy when you move since it's recalculating the models constantly as their eyes move to follow the camera.

no. I have not found this to be the case at all.

Problem resolved after formatting, for the moment ....

• Well, looks like the issue was solved through experimentation.  So for future readers who may be experiencing this problem, I manually forced Windows to update itself, I'm pretty sure it was the most recent update that started this problem for myself and at least one other person in this thread.

steps to take here:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-update-security-settings-windows-10

Whew!

• OverdrawnOverdrawn Posts: 580

I've just hit this issue for the first time... I've lowered any and all settings (per advice in this thread and others like it), but the end result is the same... Just mousing over the viewport pane is painfully (heh) slow right now.

This started a couple days ago...

I've reinstalled Daz 4.9 via DIM also and rebooted all the things multiple times.

Is there any other things that might cause this lag?

Thanks!

• Make sure the OpenGL driver is working, MS change the OpenGL drivers all the time and often at an update you get crappy drivers that don't work or make DS fallback on software only OpenGL.

Help/Trouble shooting/About video card or something like that.

• OverdrawnOverdrawn Posts: 580

OpenGL version is "4.0.0 - Build 10.18.10.4252" Also, everything says "Supported." Stil...the problem persists. :-/

• jeremusicjeremusic Posts: 5

Hi. I'm experiencing a similar problem. Viewport very laggy even with blank scene. Changing texture/wireframe etc. doesn't change the problem. I updated my Nvidia drivers, but lagging is the same.

Like Overdrawn, I didn't have the problem a week or so ago, and I haven't added much to DAZ except a few props. I'm thinking it's a windows issue rather than a DAZ issue.

I'd certainly appreciate any other suggestions. 

• All possible reasons covered, in this and im many other forum posts.

Was not Windows update, was not OS (messes up with MAC and PC), not lack of resources (32Gbmem/ SSD Extreme 1Tb...), neither config preferences, hardware optimization, driver incompatibilities, no.

Just the same as always. Plain EXTREMMELY BUGGY SOFTWARE.

Just select any other tool than the broken "Universal Tool" and problem resolved.

• rybinrybin Posts: 1
    danielcx said:

All possible reasons covered, in this and im many other forum posts.

Was not Windows update, was not OS (messes up with MAC and PC), not lack of resources (32Gbmem/ SSD Extreme 1Tb...), neither config preferences, hardware optimization, driver incompatibilities, no.

Just the same as always. Plain EXTREMMELY BUGGY SOFTWARE.

Just select any other tool than the broken "Universal Tool" and problem resolved.

Thank you for mention the broken "Universal Tool" , it really solved this problem on my notebook (Intel i5, Intel 4000 Grafic) not using ist. Still wondering, why it's just on this notebook and on two others, even one very old one, it is working...

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 912
    edited October 2017

Make sure your hard drive isn't full. There needs to be a certain amount of free space on the drive for some sort of data swapping. I finally had to erase all the files that the installer had been keeping and click the erase afte install button.

Post edited by MarcCCTx on
  • Virgin-UtopiaVirgin-Utopia Posts: 6
    edited October 2017

Hi. I indeed have the same problem than you.
    Yet, the "Universal Tool" is not the sole buggy tool. I am experiencing the same issue with the "Rotate Tool"...
    I desinstalled/reinstalled DAZ Studio 4.9, read most of what could be found over the Net about this subject, and also, in my case, noticed these lags went just after an update of Windows 10 (last week).
    During the reinstallation, I had a strange feeling in front of a message about Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistribuable.
    I can't understand why this very old version of development tools is still used in DAZ Studio today.

I do not think DAZ Studio developpers are bad programmers, but I own also another program, Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended, which presents the same kind of lags that makes it unusable! A Windows update broke the compatibility of this software months ago!!!
    In my opinion, Windows environment constantly change and some old ways of programming has to be renewed.
    It seems today impossible to get a compatible version of Photoshop CS4 with Windows 10, but DAZ Studio is still in developpement, and could be freed of those old tools. At least, if the bug would remain, I could not blame the developers team...

I recently bought a great package of "actors", but this bug keep me off the ability of using it, and I regret the money spent!

Please, take this bug into account. I am pretty sure that developpers are not really faulty, but some Windows 10 configurations or recent updates make DAZ Studio eventually unusable, so people confidence for DAZ could quickly go down.

Edit 1: I opened a ticket yesterday and hope getting an answer not too far - did someone has attempted to do the same?

Edit 2: Today, both DAZ Studio and Photoshop CS4 work fine. My assumption about a link between these 2 apps is confirmed, but I did not received any update, so, I can't explain at all what has changed...

Post edited by Virgin-Utopia on
  • Leaving my two cents on this, as it happened to me but I managed to resolve it.  I had just reformatted my maching and installed Windows 10 and applied the updates.  It had run Daz beautifully before the reformat, but after it had the same problems described above (slow universal and rotate tools, etc.)   My machine is an Alienware i7, 16Gb RAM, 1.5 Gig Nvidia GTX 660, et al..  It also has an oboard intel Hd 4000 chip.  I have to monitors, one plugged into the HDMI on the graphics card, one plugged into the HDMI for the onboard intel

When I checked my "Current Hardware Features", it listed Intel HD 4000 as my current hardware.  I went into device manager and removed the Intel Card completely, which immediately caused Daz Studio to crash, and one of my monitors to go dark.  That didnt surprise me. 

When I relaunched Daz Studio and checked the Current Hardware Features, it listed my Nvidia card and the problems with the universal tool and rotate were GONE.

I then closed Studio and re-added the intel card.  When I relaunched Daz Studio and it continued to show the Nividea card under the Current Hardware Features and the problem is still resolved. 

I think there's some sort of weird thing in multiple video chip and multiple monitor configurations, if it "latches onto" a lesser video card, it's gonna present issues.  It may not be a universal fix, but it could help someone else.  I would say this:  if you are having this issue, make sure your Current Hardware Features is reflecting the correct (or best hardware) for the job.  (Edit > Preferences > Interface > Current Hardware Features)

• dijituldijitul Posts: 146

I know this thread is old, but once again I was looking for a solution to this problem and didn't find a applicable answer on the forums.  However, I did find one cause of slow viewport response (for me) and that was related to the Aux Viewport.

So, in addition to the other troubleshooting discussed above, check this:  If the Aux Viewport is set to iRay preview mode, then it'll impact the response time of the default Viewport even when you're not looking at the Aux Viewport.  So, click/enable the tab for Aux Viewport and make sure it's set to the fastest preview mode, then close the tabe if you're not using it.  Hope this helps somebody... it was aggravating me!

• RoLoWRoLoW Posts: 344
    edited April 2018

Summing up what worked for us on Windows 10 with Daz Studio 4.10:

STEP-1

- Clicked on Start button and typed "Device Manager" to open it

- Expanded "Display adapters", right-clicked "Intel HD Graphics 4000" and selected "Update driver"

- Once completed, restart PC

To our surprise, we opened Daz Studio and the Viewport controls were still sluggish.  Please read on...

STEP-2

- Using Windows / Panes on the main menu, we unchecked (disabled) the "Aux Viewport"

- After restarting Daz Studio, the sluggishness was gone.

- We re-enabled the Aux Viewport and the controls continued to work great.

*****NOTE*****

We are not sure when the sluggish viewport controls started (after Windows update or Daz Studio update), but reformatting the drive for Windows 10 did not resolve the problem for us; hence the steps above.

Post edited by RoLoW on
  • The following steps solved the problem for me if you have NVIDIA card.

On Win10, in Control Panel -> NVIDIA Control Panel -> 3D Settings -> Manage 3D Settings, add Daz3d in 'Program Settings' and select NVIDIA processor for 'preferred graphics processor'.

Hope this helps.

• plaul2002plaul2002 Posts: 127

When loading assets was getting DAZ3d is not responding during reading asset, waiting waiting and than big load time with yellow bar bottom right hand corner.  Also was having hard time switiching between smart content folder and moving adj dials.  Fix for me was turing my Aux Screen from Shaded view to Wired.  Boom faster still a bit slow but btr..

• I had the same problem any action in viewport blank scene was sluggish response.

Using - DAZ Studio 4.10 Pro on Windows 8.1 ( I refuse goto Win10 ), NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 TI, SSD HD

I noticed after adding a lot of Older (Generation 4 an Genesis) Content it started to happen and the initialization of renders was slow to start aswell.

I have 2 Content Folders on a seperate partion, 1 for DAZ Only Content the Base figures etc. and a second Download Content Folder for the Rest. After moving the download content folder elsewear into a backup folder, and removing as much old content out of DAZ Studio ( clothing, hairs, envioroment, tutorial scenes etc.), DAZ Vieport is instant response, and basic renders take little time at all now.

Part of the reason I got rid of as much old content was read in another post about the ' PostgreSQL CMS ' causing problems with old content. So I manually Install downloaded ( everything not tagged DAZ) content after finding the files via a file list, archiving them elsewear before unistalling them via the DIM and just moving the files into the download Content Folder.

Some of this may be extreme avoiding using the DIM but it works for me, not sure what caused the slowdown too many files or the DIM bugging with installed files, I dont add large amount of content anymore incase somthing will cause this slowdown bug, or if some content from free sites, sharecg, renderosity etc are causing it.

If anyone can give a more specific cause why Content files would cause the lag, would be apriciated, Using the latest DIM 1.1.0.100

• The following steps solved the problem for me if you have NVIDIA card.

On Win10, in Control Panel -> NVIDIA Control Panel -> 3D Settings -> Manage 3D Settings, add Daz3d in 'Program Settings' and select NVIDIA processor for 'preferred graphics processor'.

Hope this helps.

I've tried every suggestion on here and several more too.  None of them worked. 

However THIS suggestion FINALLY fixed the problem for me after months of struggling with it.  Thanks so much!

• sarge74sarge74 Posts: 121

Llynara said:

Have you tried this yet?

Holy crap! Thank you! Got a decent machine with a NVIDIA 1080 and was so frustrated with the lag. Setting Display Optimisation to "Best" per that tutorial did it. I'm sooming and rotating so fast now! Thank you for the link, tj!