April 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Open Render Challenge

Comments

• harrykimharrykim Posts: 225
    edited April 2017
    Noswen said:
    harrykim said:

Thanks for the idea.

I must be doing something wrong with this though, I've tried raising the temperature setting, then raising it all the way to the maximum, then even lowering it but I can't see any difference with the renders no matter what I do with the temperature. The scene's set up with a diffuse light from behind the character and slightly to his left as that's where the image of the sun is in the background and a spotlight in front of him so that the character can be seen properly. Also has a point light on his hand for the green glow effect, but I doubt that's doing anything on this.

Hope I did understand all correct since my english is not that spectaculare.

I think subset is just a good start into the right direction and you are not forced to take it like it is. As long as you can select the single lights of the light subset you can manipulate it. Means that you select for example the front light in your scene tab, go to lights pane - photo...- temp... and move the slider to the left to get a warmer, more red light. I dont know how much, mayby 3500. Do the same with the other lights and fiddle a bit until you like the atmosphere. I have seen, that if I do a short render the "colour" appears very fast, so you dont need to wait so long to check if your trie works.

Well, and in case you cannot select these subset lights, do it by your own. Replace the lights with your own spotlights. Watch a tutorial to get a feeling for the amount on lumen you need usualy. And if all looks ugly it is not a dusk  but a night scene subset hahaha. A warm light makes no sense and it would have been enoug to dime the existing lights ;))  

However, somewhere in the sky is whats illuminate your scene. Rest of sunlight or the moon. Good Luck !

Post edited by harrykim on
  • NoswenNoswen Posts: 358
    harrykim said:
    I think subset is just a good start into the right direction and you are not forced to take it like it is. As long as you can select the single lights of the light subset you can manipulate it. Means that you select for example the front light in your scene tab, go to lights pane - photo...- temp... and move the slider to the left to get a warmer, more red light. I dont know how much, mayby 3500. Do the same with the other lights and fiddle a bit until you like the atmosphere. I have seen, that if I do a short render the "colour" appears very fast, so you dont need to wait so long to check if your trie works.

Well, and in case you cannot select these subset lights, do it by your own. Replace the lights with your own spotlights. Watch a tutorial to get a feeling for the amount on lumen you need usualy. And if all looks ugly it is not a dusk  but a night scene subset hahaha. A warm light makes no sense and it would have been enoug to dime the existing lights ;))  

However, somewhere in the sky is whats illuminate your scene. Rest of sunlight or the moon. Good Luck !

Don't worry about the English, it's far better than I can do in any other language :-)

After a combination of Google, trial, and error I finally figured out that the spotlight and distant light in my scene were effectively doing nothing at all, confirmed by switching the illumination off for them and still seeing no difference. Only after massively increasing the luminosity from a default of 1,500 to 30,000 do I really begin to see a difference from doing anything with it. So looks like my lights were simply overpowered by a default light.

The temperature was still not working well for me, so I bodged it and changed the RGB colour instead.

Increasing the luminosity has highlighted a few issues with my light placement though, such as a now rather obvious shadow going upwards from the sword blade and some strange dots on the shoulders of the character's top.

More tinkering with lights needed I think.

Proto Filbert 3 Changed Light RGB and Intensity.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 284K

thanks concerning my english ;)

hmmm , I have an idea but where to start, ... a few basics will probably help you out . Which render engine did you choose ?

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,166
    edited April 2017

Was thinking back to my other main project this month, and I felt it was missing something.

What that something was is a droid, but not just any droid, but "The DROID, the MYTH, THE LEGEND!"

YES my friends, R2 is back for another render.

april2017e.jpg
    3840 x 2688 - 2M
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
    harrykim said:

thanks concerning my english ;)

hmmm , I have an idea but where to start, ... a few basics will probably help you out . Which render engine did you choose ?

Oops, forgot to mention that part. It's iray.

edited April 2017
    Noswen said:
    harrykim said:

Oops, forgot to mention that part. It's iray.

Ah ok, I expcted it. I asume you have trouble with render time ?

Well, Iray rendering. By default it is set (Render Settings - Environment) to Dome and Scene. This means, Iray brings his own light setup, which is based on the SS Time and SS Day you see a bit more below. And it is dominant. It can easely happen, that the environment light blocks all other light you attach to your scene.

On the other hand it makes it very ease to decide what day time you like for your scene. I dont know if you have changed it already, cause it is bright daylight by default. But as a consequence for this convenience, you do not have a light source in your scene tab and ergo, can not manipulate it via Lights pane. You have to do this in Render Settings - Tonemapping and/or Environment. This is hard stuff to me too ...

But you can switch render mode to Scene Only ! Then you make your light setup according to your own likes. These then are selectable in your scene tab and can be manipulated via lights pane. Ahh, one thing. Take a look on the helplights/ headlamps you have with all your cameras ( ecxept perspective view) and 1 additional by default. Switch them to off, otherwise it reakts with your scenelighting. You told that you have increased the lumen to 30k. This is a good base btw., but when you render, you possibly get a black picture. To less lumen for Scene Only mode.

One thing more. Have an eye on the shaders. Iray rendering, - Iray shaders

harrykim said:
    Noswen said:

Ah ok, I expcted it. I asume you have trouble with render time ?

Well, Iray rendering. By default it is set (Render Settings - Environment) to Dome and Scene. This means, Iray brings his own light setup, which is based on the SS Time and SS Day you see a bit more below. And it is dominant. It can easely happen, that the environment light blocks all other light you attach to your scene.

On the other hand it makes it very ease to decide what day time you like for your scene. I dont know if you have changed it already, cause it is bright daylight by default. But as a consequence for this convenience, you do not have a light source in your scene tab and ergo, can not manipulate it via Lights pane. You have to do this in Render Settings - Tonemapping and/or Environment. This is hard stuff to me too ...

But you can switch render mode to Scene Only ! Then you make your light setup according to your own likes. These then are selectable in your scene tab and can be manipulated via lights pane. Ahh, one thing. Take a look on the helplights/ headlamps you have with all your cameras ( ecxept perspective view) and 1 additional by default. Switch them to off, otherwise it reakts with your scenelighting. You told that you have increased the lumen to 30k. This is a good base btw., but when you render, you possibly get a black picture. To less lumen for Scene Only mode.

One thing more. Have an eye on the shaders. Iray rendering, - Iray shaders

Nah, the render time for that image is about 7-8 minutes.

The default lighting from the Dome makes sense with what I'm seeing, though I don't believe I changed the settings for this, at least not on purpose. Definitely possible I've messed with it by accident, most of what I've done in that image has a good dose of trial and error. I'll have a look at this when I get the chance.

Thanks.

Ok, it turns out I'd managed to load an enviornment map for the dome which causes the sun sky options to vanish. Got rid of that and it put the default sun sky settings back in place and, after disabling the illumination on the spotlight and distant light, I get the following which is a bit brighter of a scene now.

The shadow angles look very wrong to me though with a number of them moving to the right and towards the viewer, and then a giant shadow in the background that would have discernable source to my mind. So next up is trying to fix the direction it's coming from.

Proto-Filbert 4.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 268K
  • ricswikaricswika Posts: 132
    edited April 2017

Moody Red Head

Daz Studio 4.9, Iray, Adjusted Levels in Post Work

I''ve been trying to make a realistic portrait render. This one has more dramatic side lighting and shadows on the face for a darker mood.

MoodyRedHairRSwika.png
    1080 x 1920 - 3M
    Post edited by ricswika on
  • AloreeaAloreea Posts: 285
    edited April 2017

Alrighty, so here is my final render. Decided not to add anthing else..I like it like this. All I did was add my "A" in the right bottom corner.

Sci Fi 1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 948K
    Post edited by Aloreea on
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    Aloreea said:

Alrighty, so here is my final render. Decided not to add anthing else..I like it like this. All I did was add my "A" in the right bottom corner.

Yup, it's ready.

harrykim said:

ok, here I am again

Version 2

Should the spider and its net be a bit more out of focus ? The white dotts in the bush I will remove, but for now I was just happy to get it rendered to the end.

Looking forward to your thinkings.

One question, … When I click DoF to „on“ and check the rendercam through perspective view, I see only 3 frames. Should`nt it be 4 ?

To tell you the truth, I haven't used DOF much. 

What I can suggest is to reduce the lighting a little.  I know everything is supposed to be happy and cheerful, but the light is a little oversaturated, and thus there isn't contrast to separate the objects.  What I mean is that the lighting and colors are so equal that all the elements blend together.  After reducing your overall lighting, you can add a spotlight or a meshlight above your main character to make him stand out. 

You wouldn't happen to have any toon shaders, would you?  Everything but your main character is realistic, so your toon seems a little out of place.  Another option is to place another toon(s) in the scene to give it some continuity. 

• social_stigmasocial_stigma Posts: 107
    edited April 2017

another rough (grainy) test render.

on guard.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited May 2017
    dracorn said:
    harrykim said:

What I can suggest is to reduce the lighting a little.  I know everything is supposed to be happy and cheerful, but the light is a little oversaturated, and thus there isn't contrast to separate the objects.  What I mean is that the lighting and colors are so equal that all the elements blend together.  After reducing your overall lighting, you can add a spotlight or a meshlight above your main character to make him stand out. 

You wouldn't happen to have any toon shaders, would you?  Everything but your main character is realistic, so your toon seems a little out of place.  Another option is to place another toon(s) in the scene to give it some continuity. 

thank you for your suggestions dracorn. I found the idea with more toons very good. You are right, so far I dont have toon shaders. Honestly, until this render I did not think about toon. This has changed :)  Concerning lighting and contrast I did go an other way. I changed some colours.

So this is my Final Render

Title:    oh yeah !

​Rendered in Iray and a bit of postwork in gimp

oh yeah !.jpg
    1000 x 714 - 719K
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    Aloreea said:

Well done, it looks great and the light and atmosphere remind me a little at 2001 Space Odyssey.

edited May 2017

First render after nearly a month. No great work, but I play around with my first buy (V7) from the shop and I really like her. :)

The ancient magic....png
    1800 x 1200 - 3M
    Post edited by daybird on

daybird said:
    Aloreea said:

Well done, it looks great and the light and atmosphere remind me a little at 2001 Space Odyssey.

Thank you! Also really? cool thanks

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

this is now closed, good work everyone!

See you in May

Please note that the announcements of the spotlight might be delayed due to family matters, thanks for understanding!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Thanks, Linwelly for closing this for me.

Now, one more administrative task...

DAZ_ann0314, the one who oversees this challenge and is in charge of arranging and compiling the tally,  has asked that folks be a bit patient this month as she is currently dealing with family matters.  This may delay the spotlights for this month. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,224

Sadly, DAZ_ann0314's Dad passed away. She has asked for your continued patience while she deals with that loss in the next few days. The announcement of the challenge results will be made when she is able. I'm sure you all understand. Meanwhile, the May Challenge is up and running to keep everyone moving forward.

edited May 2017
    barbult said:

Sadly, DAZ_ann0314's Dad passed away. She has asked for your continued patience while she deals with that loss in the next few days. The announcement of the challenge results will be made when she is able. I'm sure you all understand. Meanwhile, the May Challenge is up and running to keep everyone moving forward.

I am sorry to hear that. All the best to you DAZ_anno314 !

My sincerest condolences. I hope you have friends to help you in this dark hour.

My condolences and well wishes DAZ_anno314.  Take what time you need to recover, and remember that as long as he's in your heart and your memories, he's always with you.

It's the same for me with my late father we lost back in 2004 so I know what I'm talking about to a point with that.

Again my condolences, and I wish you and your family well.

Yes, DAZ_anno314, take your time.  My own father passed away the day after Christmas.

Spend time with those you love, and just breathe.

Lots of love from the gang here at Daz!

I'm so sorry, my condolences to you and your family, DAZ_anno314.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,819
    edited May 2017

April 2017

Showcased Participants for the April Open Render Challenge

Powerup Combo - For this showcase we chose the person we felt best utilized all the different skills learned in the previous challenges (Posing, Lighting, and Composition).

For those reasons we have selected Shinji lkari 9th to showcase smiley

Illuminating Composition - Given to the the person who achieved the most creative use of lighting that accentuated the overall feel and composition of the image.

The New User we felt best showed that this month was LiquidWarehouse
    image  image

Sentimental Journey - For this showcase we chose the person who created an image that transported you to another world, inspired a certain feeling from their image, or made you reflect on a moment in time.

The New User we felt best showcased those things this month was harrykim

New User - Welcome

ricswika and Noswen

image  image  image

harrykim.jpg
    1000 x 714 - 99K
    LiquidWarehouse.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 163K
    LiquidWarehouse2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 135K
    Noswen.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 105K
    ricswika.png
    1080 x 1920 - 3M
    ricswika2.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 87K
    Shinji lkari 9th.jpg
    3840 x 2688 - 906K
    Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • surprise Thank you!!

Wow, thanks.  This is only the second time that I have been one of the chosen ones, and only the first time sence the change to the new format. 

And also congrates to everyone else chosen, great work everyone.

what can I say, Yupeeh and thanks !

Congrats to everyone!