April 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Open Render Challenge

Comments

• You don't need to make a second post - just click the gear icon at top-right of your first post and select the Edit option.

• LiquidWarehouseLiquidWarehouse Posts: 128
    edited April 2017

Ok here goes, my very first 3D render... ever, Normally my art of choice is photography but I thought I would try this out.

Sorry if multiple posts show up, it wasn't showing my posts when I submited them then the forum went offline with a 502 error briefly so I assumed there was a problem.

Seductive boudoir.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by LiquidWarehouse on
  • This is probably my best result after starting with Daz 2 weeks ago.

I was lucky enough to have it shared all over instagram!!

JazGoldCloseup.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 3M
  • Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,166
    edited April 2017

Got hit with this idea last night so here it is. Used the new Iray geolocator to set the lighting to about sunset yesterday in my hometown.

april2017-2a.png
    1046 x 872 - 1M
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
    edited April 2017

Haven't a clue where this one came from, but yet another idea to kick around this month.

april2017-3a.png
    1046 x 872 - 2M
  • bluetidesbluetides Posts: 19
    edited April 2017

Soc-stig:  nice mood in this one (pinup girl at window).  Your subject seems to be looking at something out the window until she was distracted by something startling.  If that's accurate, I wonder if you could show in the window a hint of her original interest for narrative purposes.  A mystery lover perhaps trying to seek in her chamber? 

Shinji ikari:  your light saber fight is coming along.  Have you tried using a more cinematic - landscape shaped frame?  I think it would fit better with your scene since it already looks almost like watching a sci-fi movie.

Harrykim:  that's a really interesting landscape.  Very surreal and collage - like.  I'm not even sure how you made it but it looks like it was fun creating.  

Liquidwarehouse:  the woman on the bed has a great lost in thought expression.  That's my biggest goal right now is trying to adjust the mouth and eyes of the models enough to give the impression of real thought.  I can do that well enough in my drawings but haven't had the same luck with cgi yet.  I would suggest maybe a pattern on the bed cover to break up its shape a little, as right now it is a big whitespace competing with the model.

Karuki:  beautiful face shot.  Have you thought of using different lighting effects to help make her pop out more?  Something like a 3 light setup (key, fill and back light ) would really look fantastic on her I think. Especially if one or two of the lights had a hint of color in it.

Shinji ikari:  the guy shooting monster is another great scene.  A suggestion would be to give the guy a more animated expression and have the creature appear to be lunging or reaching for him.  It might help to give an immediacy to the scene which would add to the excitement.

Post edited by bluetides on
  • harrykimharrykim Posts: 225
    edited April 2017

Harrykim:  that's a really interesting landscape.  Very surreal and collage - like.  I'm not even sure how you made it but it looks like it was fun creating.  

well bluetide, I only placed a bit from all I have, set it the way it could make sense and voila laugh

And now there is an other version. I`ve tried to give the scene a little more, let´s say, ... life. I learned something new. It is called saturation ... wow ... and I did something while playing with the first version, which brought me to B/W

... sadly the back ground image is so bad quality. I´m searching ...

Summer outside Version2.png
    1000 x 667 - 1M
    Fairy Tail Summer.png
    1000 x 667 - 2M
    April SW.png
    1200 x 960 - 2M
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • mike_from_nzmike_from_nz Posts: 113
    edited April 2017

Watched a certain 80's movie for the 100th time the other night. Gave me an idea for a render...

Have to fill the shelves!! 

test_render_3.png
    1024 x 576 - 786K
    Post edited by mike_from_nz on

Watched a certain 80's movie for the 100th time the other night. Gave me an idea for a render...

It was like a ritual ... The Goonies at first and then A Fish called Wanda afterwards... about a 100 times thru the 80´s  :))

• AloreeaAloreea Posts: 285
    edited April 2017

I've added a bit more to my render. My dad asked a great question. He said " How is she floating in the air like that?" 

My response was "Uh...hmmm, good question" and so I added this...

XD, lets assume that the machine below her holds her up with some type of force field or something.

Anyhoo, what do you think?

Sci Fi 1.0.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 511K
    Post edited by Aloreea on
    Karuki said:

This is probably my best result after starting with Daz 2 weeks ago.

Wow, I really love this! Great job!

• LiquidWarehouseLiquidWarehouse Posts: 128
    edited April 2017

Ok I made some scene and, a huge amount of, lighting adjustments to the Seductive Boudoir scene. Changed the bedspread colour, added a doorway for a shadow cast, gone from a general environment lighting to scene only setup of 1 direct light and 3 spots all with that nice evening glow colour.

I've aslo included a second piece "One of those days" which is post processed in Photoshop to convert to B/W only.

Only started uzing Daz about 5 days ago :D

Seductive boudoir 4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    One of those days no WM.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 932K
    Post edited by LiquidWarehouse on
  • ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180
    Aloreea said:

I've added a bit more to my render. My dad asked a great question. He said " How is she floating in the air like that?" 

XD, lets assume that the machine below her holds her up with some type of force field or something.

This is a great addition. I suppose the cables could be holding her up too. They may have some rigidity or even movement capability.... :) 

There's a little half circle on the top, just left of center that seems a little out of place.

The other thing is that the cables are going through her top - or so it seems. Given her position, all the "naughty-bits" should be covered so you might consider losing the top. She's somewhat "under-construction" so it wouldn't be out of place to not be completly covered at this stage. Just a thought.

If you have the time, try experimenting with a little more DOF. I like the new addition, and that you have it out of focus a bit. I think it might be better a little more out of focus so the detail of the new prop doesn't draw your focus to it away from the central actor. Not sure if you really need to do this, but the exercise could be interesting.

This is really coming along nicely. Not really sure what else you could do - even my suggestions above are probably not necessary.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    edited April 2017

Ok here goes, my very first 3D render... ever, Normally my art of choice is photography but I thought I would try this out.

Sorry if multiple posts show up, it wasn't showing my posts when I submited them then the forum went offline with a 502 error briefly so I assumed there was a problem.

Welcome to the New user challenge then, I've been batteling with the cloudflare on and off as well,

so its seems you already have a good grasp on things in DS and coming from Photography surely helps in composition, DoF and Light settings. So very nice start, very little to comment on, one thing you might want to check is if she is reall in contact with the sheets below. With the black its hard to see but expecially her front elbow seems to hight from what I can see. And probably make the light on her face a bit more interesting, looks a tad to evenly lit. But this is all rather nitpicking than anything else.

edit to say I only noticed now the secont post you made with a version of the first render. I admit I like the first version better, the sparing use of colour and the light settings work better for me ( also here you can see her elbow floating)

for the black and white, probably think about getting him off center to the left, as he is obiously not centeres into himself right now, give the shadow on the wall space and get rid of the long window blurr on the left.

Post edited by Linwelly on
    Karuki said:

welcome to the New user challenge to you as well! Seems you had a good start with stuff, I like the contrast of her dark skin and the golden jewellery and the use of DOF looks good as well. Now to light  dark skin is difficult so, you still can see the features but not to bleach the whole render getting too much reflection in some parts. I don't know what light setup you used, the standart for portray is a three point light and I do belive that you use only one light source? I would suggest to add two emissive planes ( I assume you are using Iray as a renderer) one from the side and one more from behind (but out of visible range) with a tint into blue/grey to give her features a bit more aspect.

harrykim said:

well bluetide, I only placed a bit from all I have, set it the way it could make sense and voila laugh

And now there is an other version. I`ve tried to give the scene a little more, let´s say, ... life. I learned something new. It is called saturation ... wow ... and I did something while playing with the first version, which brought me to B/W

... sadly the back ground image is so bad quality. I´m searching ...

That is a lot to look at and it looks like fun. Right now its a bit hard to really see the render as one tries to lookk at all places at the same time. Try to remember you compsositional tools, you want to help the watcher follow a path throught the render this works much better with the camera angle you used  in the desturated version. The easiest is to use the third line grid you have in your viewport, place the most important aspects in the crosses and then along the lines, there are other options as well. You can as well use coloour, if you look at your inverted colours you can see some items pop a lot more, and thus getting the attention better. Its a good start, I want to see how you delvelop this one.

That is a cute scene and I like the light you are using.  Some of the kids seem to look off so probably pose the eyes to look on the map. as well I guess your render could be more interesting if you get closer in onto the kids with your camera. Rith now the lower half of your render is only the back of the map

Aloreea said:

This is looking really nice, I like the DOF you used and the lower part of the mashine makes it more complete wihtout intruding on the render, well done!

• Linwelly said:

That is a cute scene and I like the light you are using.  Some of the kids seem to look off so probably pose the eyes to look on the map. as well I guess your render could be more interesting if you get closer in onto the kids with your camera. Rith now the lower half of your render is only the back of the map

Yeah fair call. I am now working on more shelf items and also a bit of light between map and kids to light up their faces a bit more - particulalry girls. This might help to add a bit more magic to the scene too!

ewcarman said:
    Aloreea said:

This is a great addition. I suppose the cables could be holding her up too. They may have some rigidity or even movement capability.... :) 

There's a little half circle on the top, just left of center that seems a little out of place.

The other thing is that the cables are going through her top - or so it seems. Given her position, all the "naughty-bits" should be covered so you might consider losing the top. She's somewhat "under-construction" so it wouldn't be out of place to not be completly covered at this stage. Just a thought.

If you have the time, try experimenting with a little more DOF. I like the new addition, and that you have it out of focus a bit. I think it might be better a little more out of focus so the detail of the new prop doesn't draw your focus to it away from the central actor. Not sure if you really need to do this, but the exercise could be interesting.

This is really coming along nicely. Not really sure what else you could do - even my suggestions above are probably not necessary.

thanks,I will be back after I experiment wth the DOF a bit more. Also, I thought about that too, she probably wouldn't have clothes yet since she's created here. 

Linwelly said:
    Aloreea said:

This is looking really nice, I like the DOF you used and the lower part of the mashine makes it more complete wihtout intruding on the render, well done!

Thank you!

Linwelly said:
    harrykim said:

That is a lot to look at and it looks like fun. Right now its a bit hard to really see the render as one tries to lookk at all places at the same time. Try to remember you compsositional tools, you want to help the watcher follow a path throught the render this works much better with the camera angle you used  in the desturated version. The easiest is to use the third line grid you have in your viewport, place the most important aspects in the crosses and then along the lines, there are other options as well. You can as well use coloour, if you look at your inverted colours you can see some items pop a lot more, and thus getting the attention better. Its a good start, I want to see how you delvelop this one.

I´m fully with you Linwelly, it is not what one expect to see while thinking ., it is ( has to be) a render. Well in real live we see what the scene currently says, .. a bit of chaos, not knowing where to look first :)

I will try to optimize with dof or something to get more focus on, .. lol, yeah, on what ? With respect to the April Games I am going to work on a more composed version :)  and thanks for your comment and suggestions .

edited April 2017

Shinji ikari:  your light saber fight is coming along.  Have you tried using a more cinematic - landscape shaped frame?  I think it would fit better with your scene since it already looks almost like watching a sci-fi movie.

How's this? I used the IMAX render dementions, but had to take the resulting image into photoshop to resave for web. The png file was almost 20Mb for crying out loud.

april2017d.jpg
    3840 x 2688 - 2M
  •  

Shinji ikari:  the guy shooting monster is another great scene.  A suggestion would be to give the guy a more animated expression and have the creature appear to be lunging or reaching for him.  It might help to give an immediacy to the scene which would add to the excitement.

edited April 2017

Have him barking out orders, gave him some backup in the form of cheetah girl, and changed the demon's pose

april2017-2b.png
    1046 x 872 - 2M
  • deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227
    edited April 2017

Here's my latest, I was working on using both cool and warm lighting in a single image as the contrast in color tones add interest to an image. I used a cool HDRI and then added two emissive lights that were warm tones to represent candlelight in the room.   

TheSeeking.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 497K
    Post edited by deathbycanon on
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Ok I made some scene and, a huge amount of, lighting adjustments to the Seductive Boudoir scene. Changed the bedspread colour, added a doorway for a shadow cast, gone from a general environment lighting to scene only setup of 1 direct light and 3 spots all with that nice evening glow colour.

I've aslo included a second piece "One of those days" which is post processed in Photoshop to convert to B/W only.

Only started uzing Daz about 5 days ago :D

Only 5 days ago?  Seriously... you have the artist's eye, and that's most of the battle.  These are both really good.  Your posing is excellent - it takes practice to get it to look real.  You, my friend, are a natural. 

Boudoir Scene:

The depth of field is nice.  Lighting color is good, the warmth really adds to the scene.

Left elbow - should it be resting on the bed?

The lighting draws my eyes to her shoulder and then her thigh and the underside of her shoes - not her face.  Add a pointlight right in front of her face reduce the lighting - you want just a highlight. You can also try a meshlight.  Use a plane and place it in front of her face and angle it, maybe raise it up somewhat.  This will create lovely soft lighting. 

Eyes - it would draw us in more if she is looking directly at us. 

The light fixture in the back looks like a bathroom fawcet with a dripping lightbulb.  Not that this is a bad thing, but that's what my eye sees - interesting.

One of Those Days

Love the depth of field in this one, and his shadow on the door. 

Do you want his face hidden in shadow?  If not, try the pointlight or mesh light to bring in his facial features a little. 

Karuki said:

This one was yours?  I love this!

Lighting dark skin without overexposing lighter objects is really hard.  It's a beautiful portrait.

I actually have no suggestions, it's so good. 

Aloreea said:

Truth is, I liked it better without the platform.  It contributed to a sense of solitude when she was simply suspended by the cables.  Also, it made the render simple... there's a lot of power in the negative space, and the platform just interferes with that. 

The black and white also contributes to that sterile, high tech look. 

Here's my latest, I was working on using both cool and warm lighting in a single image as the contrast in color tones add interest to an image. I used a cool HDRI and then added two emissive lights that were warm tones to represent candlelight in the room.   

I think this render could benefit from dramatic lighting.  Tone down the candle light which will enhance the shadows, then increase the blue light from the magic, to have the blue influence him more.  I usually do 3Delight so I'm not sure how to describe this other than to make the shadows harder (more intense) for the magic.

The addition of a tall candlestick on the table in the front right foreground will give a source for the candlelight.  Fiddle with the color a little, you want a very pale yellow tint.  Shadows from the candlelight should be soft.