March 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Posing

Comments

• AloreeaAloreea Posts: 285
    barbult said:
    Aloreea said:

Here I made the arms a bit futher out from the body like the picture....and I used shorter hair so the feet are visible.. I'm not completely done yet becuse I have to fix the right arm. I also want to add something a bit more dramatic to the hair, like maybe a red or something?  Anyways how does it look so far?

I think it looks really good. It is hard to see the reference woman's feet, because of the hair, but maybe more of her foot is bent than just the toes. Her heels looks barely off the ground. If you are using Genesisi 3, you have the option to bend the metatarsal, too. What do you think?

Thanks also, I think that's a great idea. It did look really odd for only the toes to bend. 

Thanks for the advice!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,211
    yhzmurphy said:
    yhzmurphy said:

So the getting really super nitpicky award is going to go to me for this next comment.  The only adjustment I can see is to her head.  It is turned ever so slightly too much to her left.  The model in the reference image is in profile.  Your figure's head is just slightly past profile.  Not a huge adjustment...maybe a point or two.

Putting in her clothing that fits snugly definitely helps to see the lines of her body and something someone performing yoga tends to wear anyway.  Nicely done.

Thank-you Kismet - I'd say it's the super helpful award...and the prize is another render of this with the head a few degrees to the right :-)

Can you please include the reference image? It is getting difficult to compare the two, because they are getting separated by pages now. She looks mighty good, though.

• yhzmurphyyhzmurphy Posts: 434
    yhzmurphy said:

barbult said:

Can you please include the reference image? It is getting difficult to compare the two, because they are getting separated by pages now. She looks mighty good, though.

Thank-you - I edited my last post to include the reference image, and look forward to more feedback.

yhzmurphy said:
    yhzmurphy said:

barbult said:

Thank-you - I edited my last post to include the reference image, and look forward to more feedback.

Thanks, that really helps a lot! Can you bend her left thumb joint 3 back toward her? Sometimes the thumbs are really hard to work with. They don't bend and twist as much as you think they should. Her head still looks canted to the left a little bit too much, I think. But, wow, you are really getting this perfected.

SkpFX said:

I'm not there yet, but I think it's better...

You've done a good job adjusting the hands. I think you can push it even further. In the reference image, her hands are more separated, with her right hand cupped around her heel, I think. I realize you have different shoes, so that makes it more difficult to compare the two. Keep up the good work! You've taken on a challenging pose.

I just want to jump in to say how thrilled and impressed I am with the challenging poses you have all selected. Nobody is taking the easy way out here. Everybody is in this to challenge themselves and learn. That is what the new user challenge is all about. Thank you so much for coming at this with the right attitude and showing us what even a new user can do.

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    edited March 2017

Thanks to ewcarman and Kismet2012 for the kind words. 
    Yesterday I was nearly at a point, to throw the picture in the trashcan. 
    Now after I was a day away from my project, I start a new try and build up nearly the whole pose new. It may be need a few adjustments, but this try looks better than the last one. :)

Dance1+ Vorlage.jpg
    1920 x 1186 - 477K
    Post edited by daybird on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    barbult said:
    SkpFX said:

You've done a good job adjusting the hands. I think you can push it even further. In the reference image, her hands are more separated, with her right hand cupped around her heel, I think. I realize you have different shoes, so that makes it more difficult to compare the two. Keep up the good work! You've taken on a challenging pose.

Barbult has already comment on the hands but I noticed something about her right leg and foot.  The model in the reference image has her leg positioned so that her toes are just slightly behind the knee and the heel is approximately half way between the knee and hip.  Your figure's toes are off the cement but if you put some bend in the shin I think her foot will flatten against the ground and should be pretty close to the position of the model's leg and foot in the reference image.

• SkpFXSkpFX Posts: 42
    edited March 2017

barbult said:
    SkpFX said:

In the reference image, her hands are more separated, with her right hand cupped around her heel...

Thanks for the input barbult. I agree completely, and I've pushed it a bit more that direction, but if you look, the reference is pulling her foot up and pulling her shoulders down. There is a sense of strength in the reference, that I'm missing entirely. But, I've also got her waist bend a bit better sorted, which lengthened her torso forward, and likewise pulled her foot back a bit.

(reference source)

Thanks again. Have Fun!

Skip

Also, If anyone's interested, I've added a screenshot of my Blender UI...

Marcon-3.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 201K
    sKatie-UI.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 248K
    Post edited by SkpFX on
    daybird said:

Now after I was a day away from my project, I start a new try and build up nearly the whole pose new. It may be need a few adjustments, but this try looks better than the last one. :)

She looks very close to the model in the reference image.  Sometimes starting over gets the best results.  I have done that more than once myself.

The one thing I see is her raised hand.  I think there is just a little too much bend.  You can relax it just a bit and still be very close to the reference image.

barbult said:

I just want to jump in to say how thrilled and impressed I am with the challenging poses you have all selected. Nobody is taking the easy way out here. Everybody is in this to challenge themselves and learn. That is what the new user challenge is all about. Thank you so much for coming at this with the right attitude and showing us what even a new user can do.

I agree.  All of you have picked some really challenging poses to tackle and are doing a great job.

edited March 2017
    barbult said:
    yhzmurphy said:
    yhzmurphy said:
    Thanks, that really helps a lot! Can you bend her left thumb joint 3 back toward her? Sometimes the thumbs are really hard to work with. They don't bend and twist as much as you think they should. Her head still looks canted to the left a little bit too much, I think. But, wow, you are really getting this perfected.

I've adjusted the left thumb (for a minute I thought you were talking about the right thumb and I started twitching at the thought of adjusting that hand again), both a bit more twist as well as bend and straightening.  I also did some changes both to her head and neck angle (after aligning her neck), as well as noticing that the camera still wasn't square on profile - I've been adjusting the head to compensate for a crooked camera angle...ugh.

When adding the reference image again earlier, I noticed that her neck wasn't right - I'm starting to nitpick on my own now...next I'm going to start straightening cutlery on the table (oh, wait, I already do that)

New Render:

Reference:

yoga10.jpg
    1551 x 1206 - 435K
    Post edited by yhzmurphy on
    yhzmurphy said:
    barbult said:
    yhzmurphy said:
    yhzmurphy said:

I've adjusted the left thumb (for a minute I thought you were talking about the right thumb and I started twitching at the thought of adjusting that hand again), both a bit more twist as well as bend and straightening.  I also did some changes both to her head and neck angle (after aligning her neck), as well as noticing that the camera still wasn't square on profile - I've been adjusting the head to compensate for a crooked camera angle...ugh.

When adding the reference image again earlier, I noticed that her neck wasn't right - I'm starting to nitpick on my own now...next I'm going to start straightening cutlery on the table (oh, wait, I already do that)

New Render:

Reference:

I think her thumb looks better.

It may be the camera angle adjustment, but her head looks like it is twisted too far to the left now, and her chin is too high in relation to her arm. In the reference, her face looks like a perfect profile to me, and her chin hides a bit of the left arm. In the render, I can't see all of her eye or bridge of her nose, because her head or neck seem twisted, and I see a gap of open air between her chin and arm. Do you see the same thing?

edited March 2017
    daybird said:

She looks very close to the model in the reference image.  Sometimes starting over gets the best results.  I have done that more than once myself.

The one thing I see is her raised hand.  I think there is just a little too much bend.  You can relax it just a bit and still be very close to the reference image.

You are so close, you are really challenging us to find anything to suggest. In the reference image, the left foot looks almost straight up and down. The rendered foot is more curved. The difference is most easily seen if you look at the arc made by the foot and foot reflection. I think you can get her left foot more straight up and down by adjusting the metatarsal bone, if you are using Genesis 3. Genesis 3 has new foot bones for metatarsal and heel, that allow some additional foot flexibility.

By the way, your use of reflection in your render is a nice touch to emulate the reference image. I'm wondering if a dark background and floor, like the reference would show her off even better. Of course that is not related to posing and certainly is not part of the challenge task.

Edit: Sorry, @daybird, I should have replied to your post instead of Kismet's reply.

Post edited by barbult on
    SkpFX said:

barbult said:
    SkpFX said:

In the reference image, her hands are more separated, with her right hand cupped around her heel...

Thanks for the input barbult. I agree completely, and I've pushed it a bit more that direction, but if you look, the reference is pulling her foot up and pulling her shoulders down. There is a sense of strength in the reference, that I'm missing entirely. But, I've also got her waist bend a bit better sorted, which lengthened her torso forward, and likewise pulled her foot back a bit.

(reference source)

Thanks again. Have Fun!

Skip

Also, If anyone's interested, I've added a screenshot of my Blender UI...

I can see the improvement.

Here's a slightly updated version. Tweaks to foot/leg position torso and arms. I adusted the camera angle a bit as well, but I think that might have made it worse. of course my computer crashing right after I stopped/saved the render doesn't help at all. :|

Sorry about your computer crashing! I hope you didn't lose to much work.

I lke the way you've adjusted the camera angle. Her pose looks much more relaxed and natural now, too.  This is getting really close now.

Kismet commented about the right arm position. I bet if you adjust that it will bring her right hand down closer to her foot like in the reference image. I  think you could adjust the left hand position a bit, too. In the reference, it looks like her chin covers more of the fingers; it looks like only the little finger is uncovered. Maybe the fingers could be a little bit straighter, too.

edited March 2017
    barbult said:
    yhzmurphy said:
    barbult said:
    yhzmurphy said:
    yhzmurphy said:

I think her thumb looks better.

It may be the camera angle adjustment, but her head looks like it is twisted too far to the left now, and her chin is too high in relation to her arm. In the reference, her face looks like a perfect profile to me, and her chin hides a bit of the left arm. In the render, I can't see all of her eye or bridge of her nose, because her head or neck seem twisted, and I see a gap of open air between her chin and arm. Do you see the same thing?

Well, at least I got the thumb right :-)

I've adjusted the head angle to be more in profile.  I struggle to see just where the edge of profile is, but I think this is closer.

yoga11.jpg
    1551 x 1206 - 437K
    Post edited by yhzmurphy on
  • zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,655
    edited March 2017

update: I tried to get her left hand as far under her chin as I could, but alas any further and it would start clipping into her neck. I bent her thighs to their fullest extent in order to get her butt closer to her right heel. And Inshifted her right arm back a bit. I like what I have for the most part, but I think I may need to bend her torso just a smidgen to bring her right arm more in line with the reference image, since if I shift the right arm over any more it'll clip through her thigh.

That's for tomorrow though.

girl pose squatting test 6.png
    999 x 1618 - 2M
    girl-pose-squatting-young.jpg
    1920 x 2868 - 1M
    Post edited by zombietaggerung on

update: I tried to get her left hand as far under her chin as I could, but alas any further and it would start clipping into her neck. I bent her thighs to their fullest extent in order to get her butt closer to her right heel. And Inshifted her right arm back a bit. I like what I have for the most part, but I think I may need to bend her torso just a smidgen to bring her right arm more in line with the reference image, since if I shift the right arm over any more it'll clip through her thigh.

That's for tomorrow though.

You'll always run into issues with the models not having human flexibility. It sound like you are aware of the tiny discrepancies in the pose and have mitigated them as much as possible.

• SkpFXSkpFX Posts: 42
    edited March 2017

Just a quick update. My blender rig does auto smoothing of the spine between the hips and chest. It wasn't doing a decent job on the abdomen bones with a pose as bent as this. So I added a couple drivers to give a little better granular control. I'm happier. Now I just have to figure out what I did to her left hand. Don't stare at it, that's rude. :)

Marcon-4.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 204K
    Post edited by SkpFX on
  • donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

I'm a little late to this post... but: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_bubble

Describes the google bias bubble. Basically, you get a personalized algorithm that determines what you are most likely to search for and click on, and develops the ability to deliver what it thinks you'll want. 

This applies to all of Google's searches - web, news, shopping, images... 

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

I discovered it when I told someone to search for something and that the top hit would be "X". It wasn't for them. Then I noticed that on my Linux machine when I wasn't logged in, using Firefox - I had different results than on my Windows machine logged into Google. 

Shortly thereafter, I read my first article on the phenomenon. 

I'm a little late to this post... but: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_bubble

Describes the google bias bubble. Basically, you get a personalized algorithm that determines what you are most likely to search for and click on, and develops the ability to deliver what it thinks you'll want. 

This applies to all of Google's searches - web, news, shopping, images... 

That's actually kind of scary. Sounds like an artificial intelligence or something...but also cool at the same time.

edited March 2017

Ok, here we go...Take 6!! XD

Now I've posed her heels lower to the ground. 

o=New2.jpg
    1680 x 1080 - 2M
    photography-945822_960_720.jpg
    960 x 640 - 79K
    Post edited by Aloreea on
    Aloreea said:

I think you fixed it. Can you edit the post to add the reference image, please? It is hard to compare when the reference and render get separated by so many posts in between.

barbult said:
    Aloreea said:

I think you fixed it. Can you edit the post to add the reference image, please? It is hard to compare when the reference and render get separated by so many posts in between.

Ok there we go, just edited it.

Aloreea said:
    barbult said:
    Aloreea said:

That looks really great. Kismet has a better eye for the details than I do, but I think it is perfect. yes

barbult said:
    Aloreea said:
    barbult said:
    Aloreea said:

That looks really great. Kismet has a better eye for the details than I do, but I think it is perfect. yes

Thanks!! I appreciate the feedback! 

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227
    edited March 2017
    barbult said:

Google image searches return different results for different people based on their search history or if they aren't logged in to a Google account.  The "dance posing" search link only has 10 pictures of people dancing for me.

I was not aware of this. Is this documented some place where I can read about it? As an experiment, I logged out of my Google account and I still see many many poses show up when I click the dancing link. I don't know what to advise, other than to select one that you can see, unless someone else knows specifically why your view has been limited.

Here are the top choices I get when I click the link, is this what everyone else has? I didn't see the lady on the tracks in any of mine. I have very few full body poses in the anatomy one, and my dance one turns into landscapes a few lines down! I think the other poster was right that our search results are diffrent. 

http://www.webpresencesolutions.net/7-reasons-google-search-results-vary-dramatically/

dance.jpg
    900 x 563 - 321K
    search1.jpg
    900 x 563 - 278K
    Post edited by deathbycanon on
  • zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,655
    edited March 2017

All righty. I think I'm pretty happy with this one. The pose is as close as I can get it, unless some other more experienced user can see anymore errors I should correct. 

girl pose squatting test 7.png
    999 x 1618 - 2M
    girl-pose-squatting-young.jpg
    1920 x 2868 - 1M
    Post edited by zombietaggerung on