March 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Posing

Comments

• AloreeaAloreea Posts: 285
    edited March 2017

So now I used different hair so the feet are visible and I hid and the tattoo. Also I stopped it halfway just to see what it looked like. The feet, I just made as symmetric as I could.

0256.jpg
    1680 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Aloreea on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    yhzmurphy said:

Well, here's my first attempt at a pose from the Dance Posing google search (I chose this one because it's from a yoga site that explains the steps to get into the pose - not that I'll try IRL laugh, but it helped me understand it better).   The learning links were very helpful - pinning bones?  Where has that been through all my past frustrations?

Also, how do you want the reference image posted - I'll do an image URL but if you want some other form, please let me know.

Helpful comments always welcomed. 

I don't have too much to add to that's different from anyone else.  You picked a hard pose to get into for either digital or real life.  As Ewcarman said, tension is one of the key things here to make it look more realistic.  I would work on the extreme bend on the back and see if you can make it a little bit smoother.  The right foot and hand need some work.  They are close.  Bend the toes a little more outward like the original model and then fix the grasp so that it looks more like it's fighting to hold onto the foot.  I know from experience that the foot/leg is constantly fighting to get out of that position so you should definitely work on the tension there.  The left hand is too relaxed.  Just saw the updated picture and the changes to the toes are great.  See if you can move the fingers so they are closer to the bend in the toes.  The fingers should align themselves in the groove made by the bend of the toes.  The thumb needs to come out more so that it looks like it is gripping across the ball of the foot.

I agree with ewcarman about that as well.  The biggest and hardest part is going to be the planted foot.  I'm not sure any of the digital models have a morph for that.  I've never seen morph to mimic planting a foot so that the foot are arch grip the floor.  As Linwelly says, making sure that foot is planted firmly under the body for balance will be key to the whole pose.  I would suggest seeing if you can find that same pose from a front view as well, if possible.  Out of curiousity, which model are you using, G3?

here's attempt #1 of what I thought would be an easy pose:

Ref image:

her hands and arms are driving me crazy, especially the left arm, but I can't figure out how to get that arm to do right unless I turn limits off, which I'm sure those are there for a reason, but if I have to I will. and her head's all at the wrong angle. *sigh*

Yes, turn off limits if needed, just be careful that you don't go so far that it looks impossible.  Once you get her feet planted in the right position as Kismet says, I agree that those shoulders are going to be your biggest obstacle to getting it right.  I think you'll find that adjusting her left shoulder will help to bring that arm in closer to her body and the will help the hand under the chin to get into the proper position.  Remember that each bone rotates so use that to your advantage.  Sometimes a slight rotation on each bone is better than one big rotation of one bone.  When doing her head, don't forget that there is a morph to make the neck a little longer.  For poses like this, sometimes you do need to make adjustments to the figure's shape on some body parts because arms and necks don't always match up when trying to pose.  As slight adjustment to the length of the arms and/or neck, in this case, might be useful.

daybird said:

Ok, here is my try and the pose is trickier than I thought.

It's a good start.  Starting from the top down, both hands need some adjustments.  Your model's hands are too relaxed.  Ballet is all about relaxed tension.  The way the hands are posed in any dance move is always precise and choreographed just like any other part of the dance.  Working on the hands are going to be difficult but so rewarding if you can get them right.  I still grumble and curse while posing hands!  They are extremely hard to do.  Her right shoulder needs to come back just slightly and dropped down just a touch.  The bend in the waist needs to be smoothed out a little bit more so it doesn't look quite so extreme.  The right leg needs to twist in towards the pelvic region a little bit more.  That will help get your toes pointed in the same direction as your reference pose.  

The foot that is planted on the floor, you might need to turn off limits.  To get in to that position, dancers tend to hyperextend some muscles and you'll notice that the dance in your reference picture looks like her kneecap is about ready to pop out it's so tense.  That whole leg on your figure needs to be straighter.  A slight rotation of the left leg will also get that foot more inline with the reference photo.  The arch is going to be a problem on two fronts, one the actual bend of the foot, two the ballet slipper.  You might not be able to get that foot exact.  I would suggest posing that foot without the slipper on if you aren't already doing that so you can see what the arch is doing.  Just hide the slipper until you're ready to render.

Aloreea said:

So now I used different hair so the feet are visible and I hid and the tattoo. Also I stopped it halfway just to see what it looked like. The feet, I just made as symmetric as I could.

This looks better.  The hands still need to be flatter and you have a few fingers floating in midair.  See if you can get both sets of toes flatter and then adjust the rest of the feet.  Your right leg looks like it is clipping into the arm.  Adjusting that lower leg after you flatten the toes might help with that.  Same advice here, if you need to, do some slight adjustments to the length of her arms.  Even a few millimeters and a pose like this can help.

Everyone started with hard poses!  You're all doing a great job.  I have one piece of advice that will help anyone not already doing it.  This comes from experience and lots of practice posing and losing poses that I thought were great.  As soon as you get a pose even close to what you think is perfect, Save as a Pose preset before you make any further small changes!!!  It will save you heartache and the need to redo poses from scratch when you happen to make a few too many changes and you decide you liked what you started with better.  Even if you have to save 20 pose presets of the same pose while you are working on it, do it.  You can always delete the ones you don't need at the end although I keep them all in working folder in case I want to go back later.  I can't tell you how many times I've done a pose and then by the end had an entirely different pose than what I started with and wished I could go back but hadn't saved a version of my starting point.  A few times, I liked both the pose that I started with and the final one.  If you completely mess up, it's easy to just go to your saved preset and start at the last pose you were really happy with.

For those who don't already know how to do this in DAZ Studio.  Put the viewport in Square 1:1, perspective or camera doesn't matter.  Center you model in the square.  This is what DS will use as the icon for your pose automatically.  Then, make sure your figure is selected in the Scene tab and go to File>Save as>Pose Preset.  You'll get a popup box to give your pose a name.  I give mine a name and number so I can number each pose incrementally.  After you give it a name you'll get another popup box.  It will have the name of the figure you are posing.  Open the tree and uncheck where it says General.  This will turn off transforms so that you can pose your figure anywhere in the scene.  If you leave this checked, your figure will always be moved to 0,0 when you apply the pose.

I've included some screenshots for you of the steps.  Don't worry if my popup boxes look different from yours.  I don't use DS in Windows so my style of dialog boxes are different.

Screenshot from 2017-03-04 18-43-09.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 257K
    Screenshot from 2017-03-04 18-42-36.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 272K
    Screenshot from 2017-03-04 18-45-14.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 245K
    Screenshot from 2017-03-04 18-45-37.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 222K
    Screenshot from 2017-03-04 18-46-27.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 227K
    Screenshot from 2017-03-04 18-46-12.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 226K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,209
    edited March 2017
    daybird said:

Ok, here is my try and the pose is trickier than I thought.

She looks very close to the reference, except her left hand needs some tweaking and her eyes should be looking down or maybe almost closed, I think. What do you think? Maybe her  right arm should be a little more angled down toward her leg with less upward curve on the forearm. But you've done a really good job overall, I believe.

Post edited by barbult on
  • yhzmurphyyhzmurphy Posts: 434

yhzmurphy said:

Well, here's my first attempt at a pose from the Dance Posing google search (I chose this one because it's from a yoga site that explains the steps to get into the pose - not that I'll try IRL laugh, but it helped me understand it better).   The learning links were very helpful - pinning bones?  Where has that been through all my past frustrations?

Also, how do you want the reference image posted - I'll do an image URL but if you want some other form, please let me know.

Helpful comments always welcomed. 

I don't have too much to add to that's different from anyone else.  You picked a hard pose to get into for either digital or real life.  As Ewcarman said, tension is one of the key things here to make it look more realistic.  I would work on the extreme bend on the back and see if you can make it a little bit smoother.  The right foot and hand need some work.  They are close.  Bend the toes a little more outward like the original model and then fix the grasp so that it looks more like it's fighting to hold onto the foot.  I know from experience that the foot/leg is constantly fighting to get out of that position so you should definitely work on the tension there.  The left hand is too relaxed.  Just saw the updated picture and the changes to the toes are great.  See if you can move the fingers so they are closer to the bend in the toes.  The fingers should align themselves in the groove made by the bend of the toes.  The thumb needs to come out more so that it looks like it is gripping across the ball of the foot.

I agree with ewcarman about that as well.  The biggest and hardest part is going to be the planted foot.  I'm not sure any of the digital models have a morph for that.  I've never seen morph to mimic planting a foot so that the foot are arch grip the floor.  As Linwelly says, making sure that foot is planted firmly under the body for balance will be key to the whole pose.  I would suggest seeing if you can find that same pose from a front view as well, if possible.  Out of curiousity, which model are you using, G3?

Yes - G3 Female.  Thank-you for the further direction - all these pointers are really helpful.  In some ways it seems to be more in the eye of what to look for than the twiddling of dials in Studio. Good idea to look for a front-on view.  It is a standard yoga pose, so off to Google Images I go!

Everyone started with hard poses!

Yes, I thought I had a challenge, but everyone else is choosing even harder ones it seems.  I know the starting image searches to draw from lead me to probably try something more difficult than I would have just thinking it up.  It's an interesting twist to the challenge!

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,655
    edited March 2017

@Kismet2012, @barbult and @bluetideN838 Thank you for your notes, I'm working on them as we speak and will, post an updated, and hopefully better, render tomorrow.

@Knittingmommy, I unfortunately don't have any of the head/body morphs for g3f since I almost never render females, so that's making this even more of a challenge. XD

Post edited by zombietaggerung on
    edited March 2017

Well, I worked on planting the left foot as best I could.  At one point I thought of using Carrara to morph the foot more, but G3 isn't supported and I couldn't load the pose back onto G2 without a lot of extra work. I also solved the bad fold at the base of the glutes by creating some form fitting yoga pants in Carrara.  This also gave me a distraction to take a break from the tweaking ;-)

I did a bunch of Google Image searches on the Lord of the Dance pose, and have more views and examples...in as much as it's making me see what I'm doing wrong, I guess that helps, although it hasn't translated into "oh, you need to adjust this" yet.

Lot's of other tweaking.  There's something not quite right in the right shoulder area that I have yet to figure out.  On the bright side, since the scene isn't complex and there isn't a lot of lighting or emissives, the render times are fast - so at least I have that going for me...which is nice.

yoga4.jpg
    1375 x 1206 - 498K
    Post edited by yhzmurphy on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648

Mhh this pose make me cracy. angry

If I turn her hip in a edequate position, I must bend her tight in such a extrem level that I got that unnatural looking dent. If I try to adjust it with a lower hip bending, I got that extrem curve in her back. I absolutly have no idea about ballett and this dance position, but the stupid feeling, I make some mistakes, when I position her limbs.

Dance 2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 399K
  • ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180
    yhzmurphy said:

Well, I worked on planting the left foot as best I could.  At one point I thought of using Carrara to morph the foot more, but G3 isn't supported and I couldn't load the pose back onto G2 without a lot of extra work. I also solved the bad fold at the base of the glutes by creating some form fitting yoga pants in Carrara.  This also gave me a distraction to take a break from the tweaking ;-)

I did a bunch of Google Image searches on the Lord of the Dance pose, and have more views and examples...in as much as it's making me see what I'm doing wrong, I guess that helps, although it hasn't translated into "oh, you need to adjust this" yet.

Lot's of other tweaking.  There's something not quite right in the right shoulder area that I have yet to figure out.  On the bright side, since the scene isn't complex and there isn't a lot of lighting or emissives, the render times are fast - so at least I have that going for me...which is nice.

This has improved quite a bit. The right shoulder area might be a limitation in the model. In the original you can see the whole torso has a bend in it. The G3 I think has some difficulty bending in the upper torso. At least that's what I'm remembering - not near Daz at the moment. However, the original seems to show the right shoulder lower than the left. Here is the reverse. This may be what you are seeing.

Make sure to give her a small smile - she seems happy in the original. smiley

Great job so far. 

yhzmurphy said:

For those who don't already know how to do this in DAZ Studio.  Put the viewport in Square 1:1, perspective or camera doesn't matter.  Center you model in the square.  This is what DS will use as the icon for your pose automatically.  Then, make sure your figure is selected in the Scene tab and go to File>Save as>Pose Preset.  You'll get a popup box to give your pose a name.  I give mine a name and number so I can number each pose incrementally.  After you give it a name you'll get another popup box.  It will have the name of the figure you are posing.  Open the tree and uncheck where it says General.  This will turn off transforms so that you can pose your figure anywhere in the scene.  If you leave this checked, your figure will always be moved to 0,0 when you apply the pose.

Thank you KM for this! Great idea! 

daybird said:

If I turn her hip in a edequate position, I must bend her tight in such a extrem level that I got that unnatural looking dent. If I try to adjust it with a lower hip bending, I got that extrem curve in her back. I absolutly have no idea about ballett and this dance position, but the stupid feeling, I make some mistakes, when I position her limbs.

Sometimes this can be maddening, to be sure. But you've done a great job so far, so take a breath, recognize how far you've come, step away for a minute and come at it with fresh eyes. You are doing great, sometimes it just takes a while to do the job. Remember too, it takes dancers years of practice to get into these positions as well. You only have 4 weeks. wink

One thing I would like to suggest to help you. Look at your lighting. The images you are showing us are very dark. Notice the lighting in the original. If you follow the shadows, you can sort of make out where the lights are coming from. Particularly the light overhead. There is bright spot on the dancer's head and the shadow of the outfit on her planted leg and the shadow of her arm on ther upraised leg confirm that. Try to duplicate that light.

Now... study the shadows. Since you only have a two-dimensional view of the original, the shadows can help you get a better sense of where the arms and legs might really be. A little tweak in the shoulder or a small twist in the arm can make a world of difference. There is a lot of information in that original image - we just need to get it to tell us its secrets.

You're doing a great job and I look forward to seeing how you progress.

daybird said:

I absolutly have no idea about ballett and this dance position, but the stupid feeling, I make some mistakes, when I position her limbs.

Hey Daybird - I have no idea about yoga either and also feel stupid, and it's making me crazy too :-P  At least with lighting, when you move a light, all the other lights don't shuffle around with it.

In fact, when I look at how I have to twist the bones for this challenge (ouch), I'm not likely to ever take up yoga!

ewcarman said:
    yhzmurphy said:

This has improved quite a bit. The right shoulder area might be a limitation in the model. In the original you can see the whole torso has a bend in it. The G3 I think has some difficulty bending in the upper torso. At least that's what I'm remembering - not near Daz at the moment. However, the original seems to show the right shoulder lower than the left. Here is the reverse. This may be what you are seeing.

Make sure to give her a small smile - she seems happy in the original. smiley

Great job so far. 

Thank-you.  She'll be smiling in the next render, although it might be more of a grimace given the twisting and stretching I'm putting her through...

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,655
    edited March 2017

Here's a slightly updated version. Tweaks to foot/leg position torso and arms. I adusted the camera angle a bit as well, but I think that might have made it worse. of course my computer crashing right after I stopped/saved the render doesn't help at all. :|

girl pose squatting test 5.png
    1000 x 1618 - 2M
    girl-pose-squatting-young.jpg
    1920 x 2868 - 1M
    Post edited by zombietaggerung on
    edited March 2017

Ok, here it is... I've spread out the fingers a bit straighter and the toes as flat as I could.

uh oh, I just realized that I made one hand a small bit asymmetric to the other... crying I'll fix that in my next render.

Updated.jpg
    1680 x 1080 - 1M
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648

Here's a slightly updated version. Tweaks to foot/leg position torso and arms. I adusted the camera angle a bit as well, but I think that might have made it worse. of course my computer crashing right after I stopped/saved the render doesn't help at all. :|

Her right hand looks now pretty good. Now do the same with her left ( I think it should be more under her chin). 

The greatest difference to the original photo is the position of her butt. There, her butt nearly reaches her right heel. I don't know if the figure you use, had a limit, but try to reach the deep and than her right hand will come automaticly in the high with her foot.

BTW: This work looks ( how yhzmurphys ) f**king awesome. ^^

edited March 2017

With a smile, and also a new form fitting (if poorly surfaced) top.  The other t-shirt was loose and hiding some of the lines, so I thought I'd create something sleaker, and now you can see more of the lines...the better to point out what I did wrong and how to improve it :-)

[edit] that wasn't a very good description - I also changed the bends in much of the back/legs arch, and corrected a twist through the torso that had been introduced with much limb-wrangling, so her shoulders are now approximately level at least.

yoga7.jpg
    1375 x 1206 - 489K

Ok, here it is... I've spread out the fingers a bit straighter and the toes as flat as I could.

Aloreea said:

uh oh, I just realized that I made one hand a small bit asymmetric to the other... crying I'll fix that in my next render.

Wait, everyone ignore this one..I should had a great idea about how to make this look a bit more perfect! 

While doing some poking about trying to see how to convert my pose from G3F to G2F (just in case I resort to Carrara to modify the underlying model)...I came across this in another forum http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/137491/converting-g3-poses-to-g2

There's a script there, and I did try it out.  It worked probably 90% - all the major bones were close but fingers and toes are way off.  Just thought I'd share it in case someone started in G3 and wished they could use a G2 figure.

• SkpFXSkpFX Posts: 42
    edited March 2017

Hi All,

Great work here as always.

@Aloreea, I like what you've got going on. The pose is great, and the enviroment is very soothing.

@yhzmurphy, I think you nailed it.

@zombietaggerung, the latest update is far improved. And that sweater fits better.

I had to click related images, view more, a couple times before I found something I liked. Then I chose a stylized character, so the proportions are barely humanlike. Still I pushed on. 

As it rendered I saw lots of things I got wrong. Yet, at 30 minutes into a 40 minute render, i realized it was that wire above her head that was going to drive me nuts. :)

Reference image link.

Marcon-1.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 205K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,437
    Aloreea said:

Looks very realistic.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    yhzmurphy said:

With a smile, and also a new form fitting (if poorly surfaced) top.  The other t-shirt was loose and hiding some of the lines, so I thought I'd create something sleaker, and now you can see more of the lines...the better to point out what I did wrong and how to improve it :-)

[edit] that wasn't a very good description - I also changed the bends in much of the back/legs arch, and corrected a twist through the torso that had been introduced with much limb-wrangling, so her shoulders are now approximately level at least.

So the getting really super nitpicky award is going to go to me for this next comment.  The only adjustment I can see is to her head.  It is turned ever so slightly too much to her left.  The model in the reference image is in profile.  Your figure's head is just slightly past profile.  Not a huge adjustment...maybe a point or two.

Putting in her clothing that fits snugly definitely helps to see the lines of her body and something someone performing yoga tends to wear anyway.  Nicely done.

Aloreea said:

Aloreea said:

Wait, everyone ignore this one..I should had a great idea about how to make this look a bit more perfect! 

Cannot wait to see it.  This one is very close to your reference image.

SkpFX said:

Hi All,

Great work here as always.

@Aloreea, I like what you've got going on. The pose is great, and the enviroment is very soothing.

@yhzmurphy, I think you nailed it.

@zombietaggerung, the latest update is far improved. And that sweater fits better.

I had to click related images, view more, a couple times before I found something I liked. Then I chose a stylized character, so the proportions are barely humanlike. Still I pushed on. 

As it rendered I saw lots of things I got wrong. Yet, at 30 minutes into a 40 minute render, i realized it was that wire above her head that was going to drive me nuts. :)

Reference image link.

I always seem to see something that needs adjusting while watching an image render.  And it always seems to happen on what I thought was going to be the final version.

I'll hold off until you have a chance to make your adjustments before commenting further on your pose.

Her pose certainly looks more natural now.

Again, getting super nitpicky here, but her right arm is a little too far forward towards her knee.  The reference model's arm is closer to the half way point between the knee and the hip.  Your figure's arm is closer to the knee than the hip.

Nicely done.

daybird said:

There are limitations with the figures.  They do not bend as well or naturally as a real human.  You will probably never get an exact match.  I personally hate posing thumbs.  They never look natural to me. 

Take the pose as close as you can.  It can get frustrating.  When I get to that point I have to walk away for a few hours or even days and then come back and see what I can do to fix the pose.

edited March 2017
    yhzmurphy said:

So the getting really super nitpicky award is going to go to me for this next comment.  The only adjustment I can see is to her head.  It is turned ever so slightly too much to her left.  The model in the reference image is in profile.  Your figure's head is just slightly past profile.  Not a huge adjustment...maybe a point or two.

Putting in her clothing that fits snugly definitely helps to see the lines of her body and something someone performing yoga tends to wear anyway.  Nicely done.

Thank-you Kismet - I'd say it's the super helpful award...and the prize is another render of this with the head a few degrees to the right :-)

Reference Image:

yoga9.jpg
    1551 x 1206 - 440K
  • Here's a slightly updated version. Tweaks to foot/leg position torso and arms. I adusted the camera angle a bit as well, but I think that might have made it worse. of course my computer crashing right after I stopped/saved the render doesn't help at all. :|

Her pose certainly looks more natural now.

Again, getting super nitpicky here, but her right arm is a little too far forward towards her knee.  The reference model's arm is closer to the half way point between the knee and the hip.  Your figure's arm is closer to the knee than the hip.

Nicely done.

Oh please, nitpick, the whole point of this is to learn. I'll work on her right arm. yes

edited March 2017

Here I made the arms a bit futher out from the body like the picture....and I used shorter hair so the feet are visible.. I'm not completely done yet becuse I have to fix the right arm. I also want to add something a bit more dramatic to the hair, like maybe a red or something?  Anyways how does it look so far?

New123.jpg
    1680 x 1080 - 2M
    photography-945822_960_720.jpg
    960 x 640 - 79K
  • SkpFXSkpFX Posts: 42
    edited March 2017

I'm not there yet, but I think it's better...

Marcon-2.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 203K
    Post edited by SkpFX on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,209
    edited March 2017
    Aloreea said:

Here I made the arms a bit futher out from the body like the picture....and I used shorter hair so the feet are visible.. I'm not completely done yet becuse I have to fix the right arm. I also want to add something a bit more dramatic to the hair, like maybe a red or something?  Anyways how does it look so far?

I think it looks really good. It is hard to see the reference woman's feet, because of the hair, but maybe more of her foot is bent than just the toes. Her heels looks barely off the ground. If you are using Genesisi 3, you have the option to bend the metatarsal, too. What do you think?

Post edited by barbult on