[LINKS] Doctor Who freebie list: Regeneration

Comments

• DodgerDodger Posts: 304
    Cyberman.png
    800 x 800 - 386K
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687

Thanks, @Dodger!

The gentlemen at VanishingPoint have updated their Classic TARDIS for Daz|Studio:  https://sharecg.com/v/94203/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/TARDIS-for-DAZ-Studio

@Dodger, again, has provided us a Time Lord Collar as well.  Poser format.

https://sharecg.com/v/96023/browse/11/Poser/Time-Lord-Collar

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,584
    edited July 2020

Yep, it's considerably more screen accurate than my version!

Here it is fitted upon a character I already had on file.

Sincerely,

Bill

Dodger-Collar-J-1.jpg
    450 x 800 - 57K
    Post edited by Redfern on
    Redfern said:

Yep, it's considerably more screen accurate than my version!

Here it is fitted upon a character I already had on file.

Sincerely,

Bill

Nice one, Bill!  I've updated the Freebie Wiki (link in my signature) to group the two together.  And give you credit for yours, as well.

Dodger's given us another secondary console room (Tom Baker era, I think).

https://www.sharecg.com/v/96107/view/11/Poser/TARDIS-Second-Console-Room

And added to the Wiki.

And now for something completely different:  a man with three buttocks!

No, not quite.  But Dodger has graced us with another previously-unmodeled set, so here are the TARDIS Corridors!
    https://sharecg.com/v/96111/browse/11/Poser/TARDIS-Corridors-2010

• More TARDIS corridors from Dodger:  these are from 2013's Journey to the Center of the Tardis:

https://sharecg.com/v/96133/browse/11/Poser/TARDIS-Corridors-2013

• And a corridor splice, also from Dodger.  See the Freebie Wiki for more (link in my sig line).
    https://sharecg.com/v/96145/gallery/11/Poser/TARDIS-Corridor-2010-2013-Connector

• Another Cyberman Head:  this time for M4's wardrobe.

https://sharecg.com/v/96362/browse/11/Poser/C_hg2013

• A heads-up for anyone else trying to convert the excellent Mechmaster Daleks from Poser into D|S format files. I've discovered a typo in the two .obj calls for the Golden Emperor Poser .cr2 file. The folder paths are:

Runtime\Geometries\Mechmaster\Daleks:Emperor1.obj

instead of

Runtime\Geometries\Mechmaster\Daleks\Emperor1.obj

It loads into D|S, but the converted-to-weightmapped figure can never be saved as a D|S Figure Asset — instead of a 20Mb mesh file "Emperor1_110586.dsf" you get a zero-length "Daleks" file. It's mis-reading the folder separator as a termination separator, so it looks like we might have found another glitch in the Poser-to-D|S conversion routine. At least this one's easily fixed with ten seconds in a text editor.

BTW, these old Dalek figures look absolutely gorgeous (in a scary, exterminat-ey way) with Iray materials. I'll post a lineup render as soon as my computer's not doing anything else.

Whoa!  I had no idea MechMaster added something new to that list!  When did he add the "TV21 Golden Emperor"?!

Sincerely,

Bill

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited September 2020
    Redfern said:

Whoa!  I had no idea MechMaster added something new to that list!  When did he add the "TV21 Golden Emperor"?!

No idea — I just realised it is a new one, I thought it was the same Golden Emperor with the .cr2 glitch that I downloaded on my first visit to the site, lo these many years ago.

Of course, that means... a new model to download and convert!
    <does the whole thing with the moustache-twirling and "mwa-ha-ha">

Edit: Whups, I just converted the new TV21 Emperor, and it has exactly the same .cr2 glitch as the old Golden Emperor.

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • I think I should point out that I did a couple of companion morphs six years ago and no one seems to have noticed. I also passed on a Zoe character to a member of this group, and goodness knows what happened to that.

https://sharecg.com/v/77038/related/11/Poser/Pond-for-V4

Pond.jpg
    600 x 487 - 21K
    clara.jpg
    600 x 565 - 42K
    edited September 2020

Okay, I've been managing to churn out Iray materials presets for these Mechmaster Daleks pretty quickly now; here's what I have so far.

Battle Dalek, and the Type 6 Travel Machine and the three Supreme Daleks from Mechmaster's Second Empire comic.

All the different Emperor Dalek setups, including the new TV21 one (tiny, isn't he?).

All the different Type 6 textures for various Second Empire characters.

Daleks-01.jpg
    1700 x 1190 - 105K
    Daleks-02.jpg
    1700 x 1190 - 108K
    Daleks-03.jpg
    1700 x 1190 - 140K
    edited September 2020
    (Duplicate post)
    Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
    edited September 2020
    qazart said:

I think I should point out that I did a couple of companion morphs six years ago and no one seems to have noticed. I also passed on a Zoe character to a member of this group, and goodness knows what happened to that.

https://sharecg.com/v/77044/related/11/Poser/The-Companion

We noticed:  Amy's got her own page!  Good work on these!
    https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Pond_for_V4

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
    edited September 2020

Still doing Mechmaster Dalek stuff; just for fun, I transferred the cream-and-gold Imperial colour scheme from the Davros Chariot to some of the others.

I think I'm all Dalek'd out now...

<hums the Imperial March>

Hold on... whoops, wrong franchise.

Daleks-04.jpg
    1700 x 1190 - 124K
    edited September 2020

Oh, @SpottedKitty , it appears MechMaster released that TV21 Emperor Dalek sometime during 2015, really!  I downloaded the zip after our posts here and my sysrem noted I already had it.  I checked the file and it revealed I originally grabbed it 5 years ago!

I also realized it makes for part of a rather cuddly "chibi" Dalek once the nearly spherical dome is removed and replaced with a more conventional top portion.

Sincerely,

Bill

Toon-Dalek-J-1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 33K
    Post edited by Redfern on
    edited September 2020

Aww, who's a cute little psychotic omnicidal engine of destruction, then?

And I've just (finally!) come across Dodger's New Series "bronze pepperpot" design of about the same vintage. Just one problem, I can't figure out what all the texture maps are for; they seem to be optimised towards Poser's Superfly renderer. Lots of maps for every little bit, let me see now... Texture, Bump, Normal, Glossy, Reflection Value, Roughness, Specular... are all of these really needed for every surface? I've tried slotting them in where they seem to make sense in the Iray parameters, but it's rendering very very dark, very little if any bronze colour, and very little if any bump/normal visible. I've looked at the maps themselves, and there's very little visible through all the darkness and blobbiness. The only bits I'm happy with right now after more than an hour of fiddling with half of the materials are the lights on the eyestalk and the "ears". Any suggestions? Could this be a Superfly thing?

Thinking back a bit, I had very similar problems with Dodger's V.I.N.CENT robot from The Black Hole; all the metal surfaces rendered very dark, and all the texture maps I looked at were an indecipherable blobby mass with streaks going in all directions.

Edit: Here's a quick test render, with exactly the same lighting as all my renders upthread. Something very weird going on here.

Daleks-05.jpg
    1700 x 1190 - 83K
  • Dodger is famously and outspokenly anti-Daz|Studio.  His stuff only happens to work there because of D|S's close affinity for Poser formats.

edited September 2020

Hmm, I didn't know that.

Following on from my last render, I finished converting all the Dalek materials to Iray. It... nearly works, actually. Just the main body and the "dalek bumps" are inexplicably very dark and not-bronze, all the other materials are now a lot closer to what I remember seeing in the actual episode.

FWIW, my first render upthread had Metallicity applied, but I took it off here as it didn't seem to be working. Beyond the obvious Texture, Normal and Bump, I applied Glossy to Glossy Layered Weight, and Roughness to Glossy Roughness. So what do I do with the Reflection Value and Specular maps?

Now this is interesting. While I was typing this, I had a render cooking using those two Texture maps with boosted Gamma and Saturation. The colours are now looking a lot better; I think I'm actually getting somewhere.

Daleks-06.jpg
    1700 x 1190 - 66K
    Daleks-07.jpg
    1700 x 1190 - 86K
  • Can you make these D|S settings available?

• Can you make these D|S settings available?

I could easily zip up and attach the .duf file, but all these Dalek presets have been using the Iray Glass and PC Gemstones texture sets from the store for the eye lens and head light glass materials. Should I strip these out, or would it be OK to leave them in? Everything else is just Iray dial spins using the texture maps from the "Dalek.zip" download.

• If they're presets for Iray Uber (in other words, all "dial-spun" without special shaders or maps) they should be just fine.  At least for free.

• Okay then, here's the before and after. The "Dalek New 1" preset is using the unaltered textures for the "Dalekanium" and "DalekBalls" surfaces, the "Dalek New 4" preset uses the versions I edited with massively boosted Gamma and Saturation. (I haven't included these, of course.) Yes, I've gone through several iterations of edits, and I think I've finally got something close to the grungy look seen early in the episode Dalek, while it was still chained up in the vault.

I'm still wondering why all the other texture maps worked OK, while just these two needed poking with a stick. Is Poser's Superfly so different?

zip
    zip
    Dalek MATs.zip
  • Okay then, here's the before and after. The "Dalek New 1" preset is using the unaltered textures for the "Dalekanium" and "DalekBalls" surfaces, the "Dalek New 4" preset uses the versions I edited with massively boosted Gamma and Saturation. (I haven't included these, of course.) Yes, I've gone through several iterations of edits, and I think I've finally got something close to the grungy look seen early in the episode Dalek, while it was still chained up in the vault.

I'm still wondering why all the other texture maps worked OK, while just these two needed poking with a stick. Is Poser's Superfly so different?

Thanks!  I don't know how to sort this onto the PoserWiki as a forum file, but I'm sure we can arrange.

edited September 2020

But wait! There's more!

I was digging a bit deeper the other day, and finally realised that the Specular maps were all coloured. So just out of morbid curiosity, I plopped them all into the Glossy Color slots and got this.

Note that this is using the original unedited Texture maps, and it's getting a lot closer to the colour values and shininess seen in the promo pic in the Vanishing Point archive page. I could probably tweak things a bit more, e.g. to give the dalek bumps a brighter bronze sheen, but I feel I've been messing around with this long enough. The only things I still don't know what to do with are the Reflection Value maps.

Just one weirdness that I had to sort out; there are Grille maps only for Glossy and Roughness, so I doubled up the Roughness map into Base Color since it was darker. And Inner Grille has no maps at all, so I used some of the Ear Tube maps since they had a similar UV layout along the bottom. Both Base Color slots have a dark grey colour applied.

So many texture maps, though, almost all of them 4096x4096 — even the ones for the tiny little bolts are 2048x2048. Fully textured, this thing must eat up a huge amount of scene RAM...

zip
    zip
    Dalek MATs newer.zip
    Daleks-09.jpg
    1700 x 1190 - 71K