Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255

Okay, today at least I get the attach file button.

Let's try this again.

The first Quidditch game of the season is Slytherin/Gryffindor. Harry and the rest of the Hufflepuff first years turn out in force, and Cedric Diggory, the 3rd year who is assigned to mentor them explains the play for those who have never seen Quidditch played. It's a good game, and very exciting. Unfortunately, it gets a good deal more exciting than anyone wanted when, after the game was over, a Bludger got loose and crashed through the Hufflepuff stands.

Susan was badly hurt by the flying debris.

2020.jpg
    799 x 1295 - 158K

All right, let's see if I can get the posting back on schedule.

The night of the Troll, Harry had returned to his dorm to find a package on his bed, containing an invisibility cloak. Normally he would have told Professor Snape. But he was in disgrace over the Troll fiasco, and didn't want to risk the cloak being confiscated.

Since that night, he has been exploring the castle after hours.  

One night he stumbles into a room with a magic mirror. The mirror shows him with all his friends, happy, safe, and well, and Professor Quirrell being led away by the Aurors.

He decides to share his discovery. Consequently, all of the First year Hufflepuffs, as well as his Explorer Club's fellow officers, crowd into the room to see the wonderful mirror.

At first they think it must be showing them a glorious future. But then it shows Susan her murdered family. And there is no way that that vision can be true. Hermione and Draco both figure it out, and they all come to the conclusion that it was a mean trick, and that Quirrell must have done it to taunt them.

They leave, and Albus, who had been watching, disillusioned, realizes that this demonstration had not had the result he had expected.

This is another of the new illustrations with no 2011 counterpart.

Firsties+Mirror.jpg
    799 x 1295 - 180K
  • mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412
    edited December 2020

A few from this week. Once again trying to do more rendering than buying. I think "more rendering" won this week. Barely.

Princess Jellyfish was inspired by the dForce Gown of Fantasy 2 becuase one of the skirt morphs, dialed into the negatives, makes it look kind of like the top of a jellyfish. And when I recolored the old seahorse figure's texture map pink, I noticed the texture had a copyright date of 1999 on it. That's old! I think I've only used this figure once or twice before this.

Postworked for a more illustrated-like effect.

Not as old as the seahorse, but used the original Genesis/Teen Julie. I have acquired a lot of mask props over the years. This is about half of them.

Also postworked. Pretty much always do postwork.

This one is more of a test render. I didn't like the look of the default 3DL materials for Darius 8 so I've been tinkering with his skin settings.

And this one...well, all the parts were rendered in 3DL but assembled in postwork because while I know what result I wanted, I just could not get it in either iray or 3DL. No matter what I tried -- ready made environment like Ultrumarine Ocean, Aguja Undersea, or UltraScenery, or some frankensteined thing to mimic a water environment -- the results just look bad from this camera angle. Either the lighting was too bright or too dark or the water materials weren't transparent enough. If anyone has thoughts on what I could try, I'd love to hear them.

In the end, I just used the separate renders of the guys in the boat and old Fluvialanguis, then layered in ground, water, and caustic textures. Then postworked it for my usual prefered illustration look.

Post edited by mmalbert on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

mmalbert said:

A few from this week. Once again trying to do more rendering than buying. I think "more rendering" won this week. Barely.

Princess Jellyfish was inspired by the dForce Gown of Fantasy 2 becuase one of the skirt morphs, dialed into the negatives, makes it look kind of like the top of a jellyfish. And when I recolored the old seahorse figure's texture map pink, I noticed the texture had a copyright date of 1999 on it. That's old! I think I've only used this figure once or twice before this.

Postworked for a more illustrated-like effect.

Lovely bunch of renders! Good job on the seahorse material and the causics pattern on the princess:) How did you do that, btw? And did you use IBLM for lighting?

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412
    edited December 2020

I used a couple of free resources -- this Underwater HDRI for both IBL lighting and as a texture applied to a sky dome as well as this Underwater Light set, which includes the caustic shadows that show up on her skirt and skin etc.

(Didn't notice until too late the light doesn't extend all the way down her dress. Maybe becase she was a bit below the floor line in the viewport.)

I have IBL Master but have only used it a few times. Mostly because I keep forgetting about it. 

Not sure, but I think the lights I did use were AoA based and not UE.

As for the seahorse, all I did was run it through a colorizing plugin in Paint Shop Pro until I got a pink color I liked. Not much effort on my part. :)

Post edited by mmalbert on
    edited December 2020

mmalbert said:

I used a couple of free resources -- this Underwater HDRI for both IBL lighting and as a texture applied to a sky dome as well as this Underwater Light set, which includes the caustic shadows that show up on her skirt and skin etc.

(Didn't notice until too late the light doesn't extend all the way down her dress. Maybe becase she was a bit below the floor line in the viewport.)

I have IBL Master but have only used it a few times. Mostly because I keep forgetting about it. 

Not sure, but I think the lights I did use were AoA based and not UE.

As for the seahorse, all I did was run it through a colorizing plugin in Paint Shop Pro until I got a pink color I liked. Not much effort on my part. :)

Ok, tks for sharing:) yes I have used that HDRI a couple of times so I knew it wouldnt produce those caustics, made me curioussmiley.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on

They're all great images anyway.

Professors McGonagall and Snape take Professors Flitwick and Sprout into their confidence regarding their concerns over the security of the Philosopher's Stone. They wait until Albus is busy at the Ministry and then the four of them go into the labyrinth to evaluate the situation.

Their conclusion is that Albus's solution is indeed a very good trap, but with some refinements, it can be made much better. The Professors know nothing about Albus's little experiment regarding his determination to see how Harry responds to the Mirror of Erisid. By the time they had the oportunity to investigate, the Mirror was back in place. 

They do their research, and then when Albus is at the Wizengamot, they return to add their own refinements.

In 2011, and again in 2020.

2011.jpg
    798 x 1275 - 407K
    2020.jpg
    799 x 1295 - 260K
  • This is my first 3delight render in a while. I forgot about how illustrative it coul look.

Dreams.jpg
    927 x 1200 - 441K
  • edited December 2020

T This is my first 3delight render in a while. I forgot about how illustrative it could look.

Post edited by Chohole on

It's an excellent engine for illustrations.

jconder676_652d576f03 said:

T This is my first 3delight render in a while. I forgot about how illustrative it could look.

Very nice!

It's the Christmas break, and most of the students have gone home for the holiday. The Weasleys, however have not. Their parents are abroad, so Percy, the twins and Ron are at Hogwarts. As much as Harry likes his hidden room at the Dursleys, he didn't particularly want to go "home" either.

I've posted the 2011 version of this illo in various forums more than once, since it's the appalling image that took something like 3 weeks to render the five Christmas trees. (The rest of the room took maybe a couple of hours.) I was still working in DS3 at that point.

I am delighted to never have to do that again. The 2020 redo took, at most, overnight. And I think not even that.

Christmas Break, Breakfast with Weasleys. In 2011 and 2020.

2011.jpg
    800 x 1275 - 378K
    2020.jpg
    799 x 1295 - 225K

JOdel said:

I've posted the 2011 version of this illo in various forums more than once, since it's the appalling image that took something like 3 weeks to render the five Christmas trees. (The rest of the room took maybe a couple of hours.) I was still working in DS3 at that point.

Consider yourself a world record holderyes! Eight days still my personal bestlaugh

I was still using DS3 Advanced at that point. DS3 was only 32-bit for the Mac. I ended up making a couple of false starts. After it was clear that I couldn't get it to render all as one scene, I ended up doing it in pieces. One of those trees, The one with the red baubles took something ten and a half days alone. Nothing else was that bad. 

I still get odd bottlenecks, or the occasional 100-hour maraton on a render. And it's usually either hair, glass, or plants. But sometimes, it's just simply weird. Like one recent illo for volume 3 which hung on a flowerpot. I've no idea why. It rendered the plant just fine, but hung on the pot. Or the one where it decided to hang on a couple of wigs -- ones which I'd used in other illos --it chewed on them for something like nine hours (i.e., overnight) without any discernable progress, and then *finally* went ahead and rendered the scene.

• Merry Christmas everyone!  We're locked down again, so I had time to render again...

I remember DS3 on the Mac. I usually ended up simply rendering in OpenGL:) Raytracing was basically out of the question. I think your 2011 illustrations look very nice. I really can't look at the stuff I did back then, terrible:))

I own a couple of hair models that I prefer not to use, they look very nice but I simply don't have the patience. Every now and then I give one of them a go, end up deleting them and heading over to the Poser runtime and load a Gen4 hair instead. Usually cuts rendertimes by many hours. Many of them can look good, just have to replace the diffuse textures with baked in highlights. Or, as a matter of fact, with wowie's hairshader I can simply delete all the textures except transmaps and heightmaps. I've also edited the transmaps on problematic hair models, they should really be masks with just black and white, no semi-transparent areas. The gray stuff really slows down rendering.

Misselthwaite said:

Merry Christmas everyone!  We're locked down again, so I had time to render again...

Sweet (and cute)laugh

Some recent cuties

edited December 2020

...almost forgot...

Bolladon awe.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Love the desert scene... they are probably being territorial, but I imagine that one is calling out for love in lonely places ;-)

Misselthwaite said:

Love the desert scene... they are probably being territorial, but I imagine that one is calling out for love in lonely places ;-)

Ahh...the sound...laugh

After a dinner out at the Three Broomsticks with Professors Snape and Burbage, Harry returns to the castle to find a weeping Muffy who is overcome that someone had actually given her a *Christmas Present* (a bag of chocolates)! He tells her that he knows what that is like, for until this year he *never* got a real Christmas present.

Muffy is quick to inform him that; no, Little Master Harry Potter has *always* had presents. Lots of presents! For Christmas and his birthday! Muffy has seen them!

And takes them to a little room off the Owlery where a decade's worth of presents for Harry have been hidden away and stored.

In 2011 and 2020.

2011.jpg
    800 x 1271 - 313K
    2020.jpg
    799 x 1295 - 262K

JOdel said:

After a dinner out at the Three Broomsticks with Professors Snape and Burbage, Harry returns to the castle to find a weeping Muffy who is overcome that someone had actually given her a *Christmas Present* (a bag of chocolates)! He tells her that he knows what that is like, for until this year he *never* got a real Christmas present.

Muffy is quick to inform him that; no, Little Master Harry Potter has *always* had presents. Lots of presents! For Christmas and his birthday! Muffy has seen them!

And takes them to a little room off the Owlery where a decade's worth of presents for Harry have been hidden away and stored.

In 2011 and 2020.

Nicely done

Thank you! It's a fun story. Back last May Oprah Mag listed it among the 52 best Harry Potter fanfics on the internet. 

They listed the original ff.net version of course. Oprah Mag never heard of my site.

Harry enjoys Christmas break and having the castle largely to himself -- and the Weasleys -- who he found to be not bad company. Not even Ron, now that Zack Smith was not around to pick fights.

And then there was the snow fort. That was glorious.

Another illo which has no 2011 counterpart.

2020.jpg
    799 x 1295 - 221K

I'm going to put a bit of effort into bringing both of the places that I'm posting these renders into sync, This thread is a bit behind the other one.

Harry had a wonderful Christmas. The first "proper" Christmas that he can remember.
    And on Boxing day, Professor Snape arranged that Draco, Hermione, and Neville should come for tea in the clubroom and an afternoon of board games.

The kids take it into their heads to visit Hagrid, only to discover that Hagrid has acquired a dragon's egg, that he is planning to hatch and keep for a pet.

This is another new illo with no 2011 version.

2020.jpg
    799 x 1295 - 347K

Due to a lapse of attention on Professor Snape's part, and a lapse of understanding (because she was never informed) on the part of Professor Burbage, the four children storm the labyrinth in a desperate attempt to protect the Philosopher's Stone.

It goes about as well as one might expect. Although in this iteration they manage to avoid injuries.
    Also in this iteration, Quirrel had been drugged at dinnertime the night before, and the spirit possessing him does not have so secure a hold on him as before.

In the confrontation, the spirit abandons Quirrel to enter the Mirror of Erised in order to possess the Stone.
    And the Professors' trap is sprung.

Harry regains consciousness to find Grand Master Nicholas Flamel who had observed the whole.
    In 2011, and again in 2020.

2011.jpg
    798 x 1272 - 268K
    2020.jpg
    799 x 1295 - 199K
  • Merry Christmas, 3DL'ers! :-D

Merry Christmas everybody, stay safesmiley

This discussion has been closed.