Show us your 3Delight renders

Comments

• I am blown away by each of everyone's renders so far. Here is an old one I did but finally adjusted the exposer in post. The render itself was about eight hours.

The image conveys the dreamy atmosphere well =)

8 hours, though... you sure you used optimum render settings??

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,897

I'm guessing UE2?

• I'm guessing UE2?

In bounce mode, you mean? Yeah, I guess you're right; there is colour bleeding when you look closer.

• edited December 2016
    around the chin. I think I used 1 sun that was ray traced so yes bounced mode, I might have used UE2 from The Loft with it and I think I also had another sun (my suns are from Reality 2 but use them instead of distant light. If I render in Reality though, I only use 1 sun, never 2 unless on a planet in a binary system.) as a reflect from the floor no shadow casting so no raytracing with this light at about 30% strength.

I am just guessing because the hard drive the render is on with the scene info is shut off till I put my 6TB drive in for backup. On my gallery page it said it is a 3Delight render at 8 hours. I don't think the render was even finished but I stopped it because I was unhappy with how hair was at her neck. An oversite on my part that the hair was stiff there and didn't fall with gravity.

Post edited by Barefoot Upto My Soul on
  • around the chin. I think I used 1 sun that was ray traced so yes bounced mode, I might have used UE2 from The Loft with it and I think I also had another sun (my suns are from Reality 2 but use them instead of distant light.

No idea what the Reality suns might translate to in terms of DS autoconverting shaders. I've only used LuxRender through free exporters.

But if the autoconverter guessed wrong, it might have also contributed to the render times.

If only DS had an actual dynamic hair sim... *sighs*

• If I remember correctly, that hair I used on this V4 did bend. I just forgot to adjust the area where her neck is.

The Reality 2.5 sun is basically a distant light. Paolo is an engineer and placed this sun by default a certain point to simulate earth sun distance. Distant light is one of the four light options in Daz studio with spot, point too early in the morning for me to say the other one. I don't think there is any autoconverting going on because I did this render with 3Dlight not Reality plug-in nor did I use LuxRender. I only used the light called sun. I might have also used a skydome from one of FirstBastion's sets and put a photo of night time clouds on that.

Which freebie exporter did you use and where can I tell my friend where to get it?

• I did this render with 3Dlight

And this is exactly why I thought about autoconversion - because that Reality sun might be some sort of a Lux shader internally, and so may not be properly interpreted as a RiSpec distant light that 3Delight will be okay with. Again, having never used Reality, I don't know.

Which freebie exporter did you use and where can I tell my friend where to get it?

When it comes to DS/Lux, I used Tofusan's LuxRenderDS. But I don't know if your friend will enjoy it because it's for DS3: http://tofusan.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/download.html

If you have DS3, it still works.

Apart from that, I used Pose2Lux (for Poser) and the Blender exporter, of course.

• So, that 8 hour render time pushed me to see what could be done to remedy this sad fact - but limiting ourselves to what the vanilla DS has.

Here's what I came up with... everyone's welcome to try: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1892266/#Comment_1892266

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412

I was going to complain about how I wasn't getting notices for this thread but then I saw one that just got lost in a deluge of emails. blush

DireBunny, really like your renders, especially the bunny girl. 

Those plushies look great! What did you do to get that effect, if you don't me asking?

Adding a few more -- good ol' V4!

Inez.png
    800 x 800 - 712K
    TheCaptain.png
    900 x 900 - 1M
    LongLiveTheQueen.png
    700 x 1000 - 871K
    ACreepyMask.png
    700 x 900 - 601K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,621

..very nice, I especial;y like the last two.  Did you use a GOBO light on those?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    mmalbert said:

Those plushies look great! What did you do to get that effect, if you don't me asking?

If you are talking about my Plushies...your noise map and pulling apart the mc6 file to find the actual colors...and everything else listed.

Tried a 3DL render of an earlier Iray render. I find skin a real struggle in 3DL... in this case I used Amazing Skins, which helped a lot, but for the life of me I couldn't get a glossier look from the lips.

Starman Haggling AoA.png
    1748 x 1080 - 4M

Tried a 3DL render of an earlier Iray render. I find skin a real struggle in 3DL... in this case I used Amazing Skins, which helped a lot, but for the life of me I couldn't get a glossier look from the lips.

What lights did you use?  It looks like there's little to no specular component...and if the lights are set to Diffuse Only, that could explain the lack of gloss.

AoA distant + ambient. I think it's just that skin shader or something. If I set the overall skin gloss high, it'd all look high... except the lips. Dunno what's up with that.

Like I said, I struggle with skin in 3DL and it's one big reason I often drift to Iray. The UberSurface and AoA SSS I tried ended up looking very 'ashy.'

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412

Yes, I did mean you mjc, sorry! And thanks for the answer. My noise map, ha! I'm going to have to put aside some time to play with my Plushies collection again. :)

Thanks, KK, those were just spotlights, I think. What are GOBO lights? 

Will, in my experience skin in 3DL really needs a specular light. Do you own any of the Elite series for M4 or V4? If so, transfering those settings to other skins might help a bit too.

mjc1016 said:
    mmalbert said:

If you are talking about my Plushies...your noise map and pulling apart the mc6 file to find the actual colors...and everything else listed.

mmalbert said:

Yes, I did mean you mjc, sorry! And thanks for the answer. My noise map, ha! I'm going to have to put aside some time to play with my Plushies collection again. :)

Yeah, I was going to make my own noise maps and remembered I had your old presets installed, so I plugged the rec_noise map in and away I went.  It's tweaked length settings, and the original bump map is used for the seams.

• AoA distant + ambient. I think it's just that skin shader or something. If I set the overall skin gloss high, it'd all look high... except the lips. Dunno what's up with that.

Could come from a badly balanced bump map: if the lips are "too bumpy", the specular will get "extra roughness" and dissipate. And if the hands are too smooth, they will look too glossy. It's often the case with character textures.

BTW I think Amazing Skins might be using one of the nicer specular models from the bsdf() function, although I don't know for sure. Is there an IoR there somewhere in the specular settings? And is there mappable roughness?

No IoR. Honestly, Amazing Skin settings are weirdly different than just about any other skin shader I've used.

It's weird, some people complaint that Iray skin is too hard to make look realistic, but I've found it WAY easier to use than 3DL skins. I've maybe had one 3DL render where I've liked the look of the human skin.

edited December 2016

...gobo filters on lights create different patterns of light and shadow as well as colour effects, like for example light shining on a backdrop through slightly opened blinds, bars, window frames, or tightly focused to highlight say a face or eyes only (like one often sees used in older films). There are Gobo filter sets available for the AoA spotlight.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • tgracetgrace Posts: 48

Fantastic! 

Was just working on an Iray->3DL material conversion for one of my recent purchases. The initial conversion is necessary to create a starting point for subsequent material conversion/application (for each of 8 different render passes):

These 8 3DL render passes were then used to render the scene in a bunch of styles - here's a quick render example of a couple of the styles:

ETA: After looking at these again, still want to make some changes to his eyes . . . /tweak

- Greg

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,075

Great thread... loving all the artwork... Don't use iray... took me too long to learn 3Delight to give it up.  :) 

Here are a few of my pieces... all 3Delight with little postwork (mostly signature)  ENJOY!

3 MANNEQUINs DONE SIGN.jpg
    1074 x 1074 - 386K
    Busted DONE SIGN.jpg
    1044 x 1044 - 172K
    GOTHIC FEMALE HAIR 2hours 2minute render DONE SIGN wMASK.png
    1024 x 1024 - 554K
    COLIN HAIR for G3F DONE SIGN.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 287K
    FRANCES CYBELE DONE SIGN.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 230K
  • "took too long to learn 3Delight to give it up."

My exact feeling too. Still learning it even, plus so much from all of you.

Mary, these are wonderful!

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035
    edited December 2016

Nice work everyone. I am stubborn enough to try to learn it because it is there and easiest on my pc at this point. :)

I did this one lately trying to figure out lights and using christmas freebie stuff. I had some difficulty getting the LIEpeppermint candy  make-up we got to work on Girl 7. I got a files missing message and a few other things were wonky.

Christmas Girl 2016.png
    600 x 990 - 707K
    Post edited by Liana on
  • edited December 2016
    Gorgeous pinup Liana. Impressed with your other works too.

So I guess I ask this of everyone...

If you had a way better computer, would you jump ship from 3Delight in a heartbeat like rats fleeing a sinking ship or do you stay saying you are the captain... har... I mean huh?

Post edited by Barefoot Upto My Soul on
    edited December 2016

Great thread... loving all the artwork... Don't use iray... took me too long to learn 3Delight to give it up.  :) 

Here are a few of my pieces... all 3Delight with little postwork (mostly signature)  ENJOY!

..that second one is cute.  The fourth one looks like a painting, this again is what I like about 3DL.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • If you had a way better computer, would you jump ship from 3Delight in a heartbeat like rats fleeing a sinking ship or do you stay saying you are the captain... har... I mean huh?

Certainly no =) It would just mean I could get way faster 3Delight renders, huh?

I just don't see the point switching to Iray because it's still sorta new and kinda rough around the edges, to be honest. It doesn't even have a curve primitive to make realistic (and resource-efficient!) fur/hair.

3Delight is used in VFX by a load of very serious folks around the world, so bugs are being constantly squished. I also like the way the dev team handles shading language extensions, wrapping complex stuff into very easy to use functions.

Speaking of other renderers, I prefer LuxRender to Iray because it can do anything Iray can (and then some), and it is OpenSource which is always a plus IMO.

Not the world's most artistic render, again, but it's just an example of how far the vanilla DS/3Delight combo can be pushed, remaining withing decent render times. Taken from my freebie thread where I'm currently putting together a "mini IDL kit" using shader mixer only =)

// click for bigger //

• Liana said:

I did this one lately trying to figure out lights and using christmas freebie stuff. I had some difficulty getting the LIEpeppermint candy  make-up we got to work on Girl 7. I got a files missing message and a few other things were wonky.

Her eyes are magical =)

• Mustakettu85, Her skin is delicious as is the rest of that render. Definitly meant to be seen large.

I so agree that a fast computer would be a benefit to working with 3Delight. Also, you don't have to purchase extra shaders or textures in order for them to work in Luxrender.

"took too long to learn 3Delight to give it up."

My exact feeling too. Still learning it even, plus so much from all of you.

Mary, these are wonderful!

Thank you kindly Bare... I only use 3Delight.. I have too many to post here... if I post them all it would bog down this thread.. but you can check out more of my art in the Daz gallery or over at DeviantArt.  I have been working with Daz/3Delight for over 3 years and I've learned a LOT... It renders quickly for these little forum threads.. and for the time it takes for an Iray render to 'look good' for me... I could have a dozen rendered in 3Delight... lol.  Lots of the Iray renders I have seen have too much grain (cause they take too long to render to get less grain) or they are very dark for my liking... so I gave up using it.  Maybe someday if I get a Nvidia graphics card I'll swap... but that won't be anytime soon.  So no.. even if I had a better computer... I won't give up my 3Delight... oh.. and FYI/p.s... I don't tend to buy ANY Iray products either.  I'm stubborn.. it's 3Delight or nuthin'... lol

kyoto kid said:

..that second one is cute.  The fourth one looks like a painting, this again is what I like about 3DL.

Thanks oodles Kyoto :)  Lots of flexibility with 3DL.. if... you know how to use it... I still learn new things almost every day... just by playing :) 

This discussion has been closed.