Bryce 7.1 cannot see my .obp files

DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Hello,

I'm just a beginner with bryce and I can't load (as project or as object) any of my downladed .OBP files.

The original content doesn't work (invisible), the last one is the Chohole bridge on ShareCG and Bryce don't see it either.

What is the problem?

Thanks.

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,285

Hello DUDU, welcome to Bryce. OBP files are Bryce object files that belong to a particular folder. Wherever you have Bryce installed, there is a folder Presets and under it a sub-folder Objects. There are again sub-folders and you can also create your own one. Copy the OBP files into this final folder and it is available in Bryce. In the main GUI, click on the arrow right of Create, this opens the object library. At the bottom left you find Installed and right of it a down arrow. Click on it to open a drop-down that shows all folders, also the new one you created, and click on it.

An alternative way to import the OBP file is directly from Bryce. Open the Objects library by clicking on the arrow right of Create as mentioned above. Open the drop-down and select the desired folder or click on the Plus (+) sign to create a new one. Then click on Import at the bottom of the library and navigate to the OBJ file(s). This will add it to the library and from this moment, you can use it in Bryce.

The document https://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf shows where any content for Bryce belongs (for Mac and PC).

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

OK, Super, I found it, many thanks !

Another question, I know how to export a terrain, but the export option is greyed out with this kind of object, what is the process please?

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,285

Glad you could make it. Terrain export can be done in the Terrain Editor (TE) either as height map (16-bit PNG or TIF) or as mesh. Select the terrain and click on the [E] to enter the TE. There is a grid-like symbol where the brushes are. Here you can select the resolution up to 4096. On top right of the Canvas is a down arrow that opens options. "Export Image" exports the terrain as height map, "Export" exports it as a mesh. Once a filename is chosen, an option opens to define the resolution of the grid triangulation and also the materials exported as image maps (image file type can be defined).

If the terrain is selected, it can also be exported via File > Export Object. The same option window opens for the triangulation, etc.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

BTW DUDU   you mentioned my old Rustic Bridge.     That is quite an old thing I did (2005),  and to be perfectly honest it is a bit of a mess.   It is a combo of terrains,  primitives (both negative and positive) and boolean techniques,  and it is not well labelled.   I only put it back up on SHareCG because someone asked for a copy of it.

When I made it it was because I needed a bridge,  hadn't been intending for it to be shared really,   but people seemed to like it. You have to fiddle around to get it at the right level in your image, as it has stuff hidden below ground.

I am not certain if models made that way can be exported out of Bryce to use in other programs.

Your bridge is splendid in this render !

What I want to do is to try to export the .obp objects (for use in Carrara, of course...), I need a tractor that I found on ShareCG and it's not complete in .OBJ in Carrara, Bryce crashes with .3ds...

For your bridge, the export object option is greyed out, I don't know why.

As I can see on this forum, one can do some really nice renders with Bryce, I will try to learn the basics and after the animation.

Thanks Horo for the tip about height map export, I used the .obj but this feature is better I think.

@+

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

For terrains, if you choose the export object method, here are some notes I had written down for myself that you might find helpful:

Exporting a terrain:  Don't use the bridge, nor default settings, as they are unacceptably low quality.  Instead:  Select the terrain, then from the menu bar select File > "Export Object".  Change the filename to have no spaces, or it won't work.  Change the "Save as type" dropdown to "Wavefront OBJ Files (*.obj)(Mesh Export)" and press the Save button.  Drag the slider at the bottom of the next window all the way to the right to increase the resolution to the desired level (the default is far too low), uncheck "Ambient Color", possibly uncheck Bump if desired, change the Size dropdown to whatever is appropriate (max 4096x4096), change the Format dropdown to JPEG(*.JPG) > "Max Quality", and press the checkmark. (TODO, the export process may take a very long time... unless it's just slow because I was rendering at the same time?)  

The filename thing is also true for object exports. 

Thank you sriesch for these explanations.
    So, you think that the name of the file would be the cause of my problem with the tractor (and the Pam's bridge) , I will test that at once that I can.
    I have a .mtl file, but it doesn't load in Carrara, perhaps for the same reason…
    I noticed that exports are very long in Bryce, but to have quality, that's worth it.
    I keep you informed of my tests.
    Thank you!

@Chohole;  I, for some time, don't receive any more notifications, what can I do ?

OK, I tryed to export a terrain in .obj like you said, it's really good.

When I wanted to export an object, there was not the same options, "Wavefront OBJ Files (*.obj)(Mesh Export)"  is not in the list.

I found also a tuto of Cripeman on YT but for my initial problem (export a .obp), there is any solution...

Thanks again for all your answers !

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Looks like when you export a non-terrain object (such as a cube) it just says ""Wavefront OBJ Files (*.obj)" rather than ""Wavefront OBJ Files (*.obj)(Mesh Export)"", just use that.  (Or if you aren't seeing that either, can you post a screenshot of what you see?)

If you try to export a group of objects, the export option will be greyed out and not available.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433

Also bear in mind that if you are exporting Bryce primitive objects (cubes, spheres etc), every single one of them will need to be either a Boolean or converted to a mesh.

And Bryce isn't particularly good at baking materials to it's exports and regularly give unexpected results.

When I export as .obj and import it into Carrara or Hexagon, I lost some pieces of this tractor.

Is it possible that some parts are not in vertexes, and if it's the case, is it an other way to convert these parts ?

About the texture, I have 73 .bmp files and a .mtl but nothing in Carrara.

See pictures...

I tried a simple object (a chair) and that seems OK (without shader).

Tractor in Bryce.jpg
    1754 x 914 - 42K
    Import Carrara.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 146K