Help With a Project

Hello. I am new to bryce and i want to do something for my grandfather. I want to create a 3d rendering of his farm. I can put the trees in and the grass and the barn but he has these 2 roads going through it and I can't find anything online on how to make a dirt road that goes in a specific direction that curves. If this is possible can someone please help. His road looks kind of like turkey wishbone shape.  Thanks 

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

There are probably several ways to do it. 

Possibly you can find an existing road prop, although if you are looking for a specific shape that might be difficult.

My suggestion would be to create it yourself using a combination of terrains in the terrain editor, one for the road itself and one for the surrounding terrain (so that you can apply a different material to each).  The way you approach it might depend on the exact look you want.  If the road is raised, such as a gravel road added on top of the terrain, you could simply paint it in the terrain editor.  If the road is lowered, such as ruts or roadcuts, it will probably be a bit harder.  You may be able to make use of height-sensitive materials to make the road and surrounding land out of a single terrain, but that might be harder to do.

Somewhere there was also a program to create roads objects, although I haven't tried it.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797

I know there are some tutorials on making roads that follow the terain (in height, e.g.). They are based on the technique of using a terrain to slightly cut into another terrain. In the terrain editor, you can 'draw' the line for your road as you want it. I think you should look for 'tutorial',  'bryce', 'road', 'david brinnen'.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433

Yup, I agree, Terrain efitor is going to be the most useful tool to make your roads.

What I would try first isMaking some gentle gradients and then wond your roads through them using a middle tone of grey, so it builds up the road as it goes through the low parts and cuts a valley as it goes through the high parts. Of course doing it this way, your road will be flat and not follow the contours of the landscape. If you wanted your road to follow the contours, I'd be making a greyscale height map in Photoshop (other photo editing softwares are available) and then import it into the terrain editor.

A good way to make the road separate from your terrain (so you can use completely different materials on it) is once you have it about right, duplicate your terrain and enter the terrain editor and make it 'inverse', then manually delete the bits you don't need and you end up with a sort of stacked terrain only one is high where the other is low... Hope that makes sense.