Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thank you very much!  Also very helpful.  I wonder if I didn't have link polygons on....

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

I have been working with a client to show him how to model - he chose a shoe and this is where we are at.  Only 550 polygons in the model, using Smoothing (which is Sub-D by another name). It won't win any style awards, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Screenshot 2017-04-05 22.35.32.png
    1920 x 1080 - 514K
    Vic Shoe Test.jpg
    800 x 600 - 21K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited April 2017

Hold it.  Phil, you do individual instruction?  Gotta get me some more Phil. 

Slippers look great.  Why, they almost look like...

Aren't you forgetting the ruby slippers?

No Place like home

The shoes in the children's book were silver, not ruby.  But, you know, Hollywood and special effects, made them ruby for a color movie. 
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-11-15/lewis-lapham-dorothy-s-shoes-morph-from-silver-to-ruby

Post edited by Diomede on
    Diomede said:

Hold it.  Phil, you do individual instruction?  Gotta get me some more Phil. 

Slippers look great.  Why, they almost look like...

Yes, send me a PM if you are interested.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited April 2017

Dynamic Extrusion by mmoir - "HelpVideo1 for Dazs Carrara Modeling Tutorial product".  This shows a few tricks that I didn't even know... and will have to watch it agiain.  Most of all it shows the basics, and then even more, of Extruding.

Post edited by wgdjohn on

UpDated:  YouTube video links on Page 1.  See reason belowm what I've done and plan.

I've been off searching for a video or videos like DimensionT had on YouTube... seems that all of his were removed which is too bad since it covered using the basic tools in the Vertex Modeler... luckily I managed to watch it plenty of times for the different tools when I started to re-learn and expand my modeling capabilities.... ha, ha... excuse me while I stop laughing at "capabilities".  ... ... ... ...  Ok... I've calmed down a bit.

I've started to replace the missing video with very good ones which will cover different things that it covered and some that it didn't... today with a few from mmoir.  I'll have to look back in this tread to be sure that everything is covered... I might just be adding a few more Mini-Tutorials for those that are not.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

It was in March 16 when I saw this video for the first time. And I didn't have Carrara then. I was about to buy it. And I wonder where did mmoir get the screen cast keys feature from?

The little box at the top of the screen which shows keystrokes?  I have no idea... If someone else does not know we can contact Mike, mmoir.

I think it's the best way. This feature is very useful when recording the video. There is similar addon in Blender that I always use in my practice.

Tonight I, too, quickly wipped up a letter "Z".  Main problem is that I didn't use a template from another letter... result is I needed to manualy needed to scale it in Asmbly room.  I also got a bit carried away with Extract Around and made it a bit too sharp on the edges... no big deal... gotta fix the size problem first. :)

Letter_ZABPD_01.png
    640 x 480 - 297K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I sent you a pm, cause I didn't know who else to ask lol. 

Answered!  smiley

I sent you a pm, cause I didn't know who else to ask lol.

• otodomusotodomus Posts: 332

Hi John, its cool that you still trying with letters, have you ever tried some other models?  There are some nice tutos on the net that were made for Maya that actually works on Carrara, a perforated tube, a four hole button, a screw, I have done several of them in the vertex room with very nice results.

Cheers!

Otto

Kewl,  I'll check them out some time.  Regarding letters I'd made my letter Z but for some reason it is not the same size as the others so will have to find out why then I'm off to the races. :)  At the moment I'm modeling a clover leaf shape which I'm wanting to make into a rope also... will post my results and steps if everything works out... going to try a few ways... duplicate and rotate the dupes then Bridge and afterwards Replicate in VM ... also Model/Deform/Twist... will see how things go.

More important than my modeling adventures is getting something together for Carrara Challenge 33 "They Only Come Out at Night".

edited April 2017

Updates:  I've added the below YouTube tutorials to P1 post 2.

The Bridge Tool - hand modeling by Marcelo Teixeira in Carrara

The Ruled Surface Tool - car hood modeling, from DAZ 3D in Hexagon... nearly identical to Carrara... only the tool icons have changed to protect the innocent. :)

I've found yet another by Cripeman which covers Ruled SuraceDouble Sweep and Gordon Suface Tools.- this is a very well done tutorial. All 3 tools can be found under the far right icon underneath the menu items.  Coons surface is the only one not covered... I'll go look for one on that also... I have no idea what it is. :)

edited April 2017

John, thank you for sharing! I am still very far from this kind of tasks. I'm only going to learn this kind of modeling methods. But I've already tried to model with coons surfaces. Here is my attempt...

Ceiling_Deco.jpg
    1200 x 627 - 578K
    Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 12.01.24 PM.png
    1160 x 629 - 476K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    Vyusur said:

John, thank you for sharing! I am still very far from this kind of tasks. I'm only going to learn this kind of modeling methods. But I've already tried to model with coons surfaces. Here is my attempt...

Yer welcome.  I've not even tried Gordon or Coons surfaces... yet.  Nice example... looks cool.

edited April 2017

Finally got back to the letter Z... this time I got the height correct... unfortunalty I'd entered the incorrect thickness amount and it turned out to thin and still had to adjust it in Assemble Room. Ha ha ha... I probably entered the the custom grid settings I'm using... not a big deal to fix since I can do it once again from my new template.

Letter_Z_10.png
    640 x 480 - 359K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,963

So I want to work on some morphs for Daz.

Now, Daz will only allow for Base subdivision for morphs, but you can do normal baking to capture displacement.

So what I want is a way to have a high definition object model that I sculpt, and then a way to convert it to Base subdivision that has the exact facet arrangement necessary for making morphs.

... Is that possible, in Carrara?

So I want to work on some morphs for Daz.

Now, Daz will only allow for Base subdivision for morphs, but you can do normal baking to capture displacement.

So what I want is a way to have a high definition object model that I sculpt, and then a way to convert it to Base subdivision that has the exact facet arrangement necessary for making morphs.

... Is that possible, in Carrara?

I don't think you can do that in Carrara. You can make Base resolution morphs and you can preview them with Smoothing (=SubD), but for doing sculpting at the higher SubD levels you would need something like Zbrush.

Blender can make sculpting on low poly mesh with multires modifier which simulates sculpture work on the desired subdivision level with ability to remove the result of sculpting work or to apply it.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,963

Maybe I'll just try to paint the details in with normals/displacement (I have Substance Painter 2)

(And the Blender option sounds great, but I can't hack Blender)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited April 2017

attempting to make a footy/soccer ball with 2 shader domains for the black n white patches. 
    got as far as smoothing an icosahedron.

icosahedron1.JPG
    1191 x 638 - 137K
    icosahedron2.JPG
    1204 x 608 - 168K
    soccerball.jpg
    120 x 120 - 3K
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Mistara - like this? (Is this a correct soccer ball?)

Quick and easy - Insert a vertex object. In the Vertex Room insert a Polyhedron (from the Primitive Shapes drop down).
    Leave it at default settings. Set Smoothing to level 1 and hit the 'Convert' button. Voila!
    I then selected all the edges by using the Edge Selection Mode, then went back and deslected all the vertices in the center of each pentagon and hexagon so I only had the edges selected.
    I then used Model > Extract Around Edge to what I thought looked okay.
    Dropping the tool, my original edges were still selected and I just Scaled them down a bit.

Needs more work, perhaps a few more supporting edges to tighten the grooves, but might help as a place to start.

quick_soccer_ball.jpg
    1462 x 1035 - 117K
    edges_selected.jpg
    1459 x 1024 - 123K
    extract_around.jpg
    1442 x 1027 - 136K
    scale_down.jpg
    1452 x 1019 - 111K

Mistara - like this? (Is this a correct soccer ball?)

Quick and easy - Insert a vertex object. In the Vertex Room insert a Polyhedron (from the Primitive Shapes drop down).
    Leave it at default settings. Set Smoothing to level 1 and hit the 'Convert' button. Voila!
    I then selected all the edges by using the Edge Selection Mode, then went back and deslected all the vertices in the center of each pentagon and hexagon so I only had the edges selected.
    I then used Model > Extract Around Edge to what I thought looked okay.
    Dropping the tool, my original edges were still selected and I just Scaled them down a bit.

Needs more work, perhaps a few more supporting edges to tighten the grooves, but might help as a place to start.

that looks fantastic!!  thanks.

starting over with polyhedron!

Misty,  Nice foot/soccer ball.  How did you get the requester in pic2... is that an Asemble room thing?

DesertDude,  What did you do to convert to 4 sided polys?  Looks great.

yoo mean the smooth dialog?  main room, it's on the edit menu at bottom smiley

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,995
    edited April 2017

Doing some more on my Kelly Armour...

Kelly Armour.jpg
    800 x 600 - 196K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054

I knew Poser Andy was really Ned Kelly!!! devil

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054

you could rig that for Genesis 3 

but ......

1. nobody outside of Australia will have clue what it is