Bryce and specific model

fleetppfleetpp Posts: 199
edited April 2016 in Bryce Discussion

Can Bryce read any of the files in the linked freebie and export the object with textures to DAZ Studio version 4,7? 

http://www.sharecg.com/v/84475/browse/5/3D-Model/Abbaye

I can open the obj file in DAZ, but textures don''t work properly with it.  I was told the object wasn't UV mapped, but I don't know how to map it in DAZ.

I don't want to spend money on Bryce and find out it doesn't do what I need.

I did a search, but can't find an answer. Please accept my apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it if necessary.

Very respectfully,

fleetpp

Post edited by fleetpp on

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,288

fleetpp - I don't think Bryce can help you here. It can handle UV maps but if the model doesn't work properly in Studio I very much doubt in will in Bryce. Models exported from Studio and imported into Bryce (or sent to Bryce) work.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited April 2016

The model does work OK in Bryce. The problem is that the mapping for the texture is 'Object Cubic' and the model hasn't been particularly well put together from a technical pooint of view. It consists of many components  (I believe made in Wings3D, reading the comments on the download link from other people who have experienced problems). It looks to me like it had been entirely materialed up in Bryce using four or five different stone type picture materials, none of which have a bump channel and some of which have a horrible amount of Ambient set.

None of the material zones are grouped so fixing it up would be a long(ish) task not made much easier by the fact that Bryce's export feature doesn't usually do a good job of baking the materials on to models.

This is what it looks like in Bryce (very quick render), I'm just exporting it now and will then try and import it into Poser (I don't use Daz Studio) and report back.

AbbyRuin2.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 465K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on

OK, exporting the model from Bryce as .obj file took about 10 minutes, created 86 files (including the .obj and .mtl files) but on importing it to Poser, there is nothing there.

Now I'm thinking that some of the model uses Bryce primitves (I'd check but as soon as it had finished, it crashed Bryce). If it does, it would mean having to select each component and making it postive or negative and grouping it as a Boolean before it will export. I've got to go out now, but I'll try have another look when I get back.

• fleetppfleetpp Posts: 199

@Dave Savage,

Thank you for helping me. 

Very respectfully,

fleetpp

• fleetppfleetpp Posts: 199

Problem solved (someone at another site UV mapped it for me). 

That's good news... Thanks for letting me know. smiley