Actor vs Character in 4.5 Beta

vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,874

One of the fun things I've discovered about the 4.5 beta is that it's wildly inconsistent about whether or not it will actually apply my old DSB character/material presets. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Honestly, not a HUGE deal, because I've got the original source files around, so saving off DUF presets is going to be tedious but tolerable.

However, something I've run into is that sometimes it saves the presets as simple Character presets -- where you have to have a Genesis figure in the scene before the preset can work -- and sometimes it saves as Actor presets, where it will call a new Genesis figure into the scene and apply the shaping and material sets as needed. Weird thing is, the steps to do each are exactly the same, and the only reason I can tell during the process that something different is going on is that the save suddenly takes much longer. And, of course, if I look into the directory, it has the little blue "Actor" label instead of the "Character" label. Moreover, once a given preset has been saved as Actor, it will always be saved as Actor; there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to get it to save as Character.

And, just to add to the weirdness, if I save the first time and it saves as Character, it's not too surprising if, when I save it again, it saves as Actor.

What could be causing this sort of weirdness? Will particular underlying characteristics of a given character kick this off? There was, quite literally, absolutely nothing different about the process except the end; all the menu responses and selections were the same. And it's not a bad place to end up; it's just weird.

Post edited by vwrangler on