Is this a known Issue in DS4.5Pro? (solved)

JaderailJaderail Posts: 0

If you set the Parameters for a item to Visable in Render Off but Cast Shadows ON you get Nothing? No Item and No Shadow? I'm a bit miffed, I have a idea that was perfect for. Why have both if one KILLS the other?

Post edited by DAZ_bfurner on

Comments

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

Hi Jaderail...

That's not anything different in 4.5 as any earlier version. You need to apply UberSurface2 or I believe PwSurface (I don't have the Pw shaders so not sure of the right one)

In US2 scroll down the parameters and turn Fantom to On for the surfaces that you want to be invisible but cast shadows.

Hope this helps... nicci :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'll give that a shot, I have both. I've never done it before. Just a bit confusing to me.

Thank you for the help.

edited December 1969

Works like a charm Thank you SO MUCH. You just opened new Ideas for me.

edited December 1969

Can't wait to see what you are up to... I mean come up with... ;-)

You can also turn off shadows for a surface in US2 like in the test image below.

nicci... :)

US2_shadow_test.jpg
    800 x 518 - 58K
    edited December 1969

Also works With Default Uber Surface. All users can do it if they Wish. ;-)

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Cool idea. Never thought to use Fathom like that.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

It's been like that for as long as I've been using DS (1.3 was my first version), there was a time when it worked on primitives.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,970
    edited December 1969

This is really, truly irritating and frustrating ... I am sure I have to be doing something wrong.
    In essence I want somethign in the scene not to cast a shadow. So I slapped UberSurface2 on it, and happily clicked the Cast Shadows parameter to turn it to Off and ... it casts shadows. Turn off Accept Shadows and ... yup, you guessed it - it has shadws cast upon it. So far as I can see the sole parameter in that section that works is the Fantom one. Which is nice, since I also wanted that functionality, but without the ability to turn off shadows my idea is totally stuffed.

This is DS4.5beta (4.0.5.137) 64-bit.

I looked at UbserSurface, but that does not have the Cast Shadows parameter.

For such a clearly labelled (in my view) property it is doing a really good job of not 'doing what it says on the tin' :( Am I going mad, or should it be working? Am I a hapless loon or does 'Cast Shadows - yes/no' not actually mean what it says and insteda does something really bizarre and arcane?

edited December 1969

Hi SimonJM...

If you are using Raytraced shadows on your lights, then it doesn't seem to work. It does work with Deep Shadow Maps though.

I don't know if it is because the US2 shader needs to be recompiled for the current 3Delight render version or if it just doesn't work for Raytraced shadows at all.

The image below has fantom on the cross bars and no shadows on the cross pipe using Deep Shadow Maps on a single Distant light using 4.5.0.137 Beta

Hope this helps... :)

shadow_test.png
    674 x 601 - 314K
    edited December 1969

I did wonder about using deep shadow map, but I tend to fight shy of that as I get a hug number of those annoying coloured #-shaped speckles when I do. I'll give it a whirl and see what I can come up with.
    And thank you!

edited September 2012

It does indeed work with deep shadow maps ... here is a first cut at the sort of thing I was after - no postwork done.

(and now with added file!!!!)

Shadow_Test.jpg
    588 x 634 - 129K
    Post edited by SimonJM on