WTUT Decal - Will's Iray Decal tutorial

2»

Comments

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 561
    mjc1016 said:

Are you actually hitting render?

It's already in Iray render mode - look at the last screenshot

• Interesting.  How do you save a decal or a set of decals?

• Interesting.  How do you save a decal or a set of decals?

nVidia Iray preview mode, or Iray render, I'm afraid. I'm not aware of another way to get a preview.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    tigerste said:
    mjc1016 said:

Are you actually hitting render?

It's already in Iray render mode - look at the last screenshot

That is not the same as actually rendering...

And if they show in an actual render, then that may narrow down what is wrong.

• Will,

I'm a little confused here, I should be able to use a Iray decal to add a logo to a jacket, right?  I'm trying to do this, and I'm not having any luck.  Any way you could expand on this to show how to do that?  For example, I am trying to add a shoulder patch to the Eclipse G3f Suit.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,963

Honestly decals don't do very well for that. The problem is that the projection shifts and shimmies any time you move the figure and it's hard to impossible to get a consistent look.

For THAT I'd really suggest a geometry shell.

• Honestly decals don't do very well for that. The problem is that the projection shifts and shimmies any time you move the figure and it's hard to impossible to get a consistent look.

For THAT I'd really suggest a geometry shell.

I'm going to give Everyday labels a try to see if it works well for this, but any chance you might be able to write up a tutorial on using a geometry shell for that?  I've very lightly used Gshells, and I'm not 100% sure how that would work.  My main concern is that I had this working with a modified texture, but it broke when I moved to a new computer.  I assume it's because the drive mapping changed, but I haven't been able to get it to work properly since.  (I should of documented the process better).

But if a simple altered texture can break for some reason, I'm not 100% confident that the process is stable.  That's why I was thinking a decal, because I can simply point to the logo, and then "project" it ontop of the arm or whereever it is needed.  Nothing to break.  

Can a geometry shell be that simple?

- Ben

• Silas3DSilas3D Posts: 561

FYI after installing the latest 4.9 GR decals are now working for me :0) 

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited November 2021

Great Node this Iray decal ! Damn. To put stickers / decals on a body (just one diffuse image and one cutout opacity), it's pretty powerful. And it can be used on any object. Playing with UVs / projection / Clip Mode options, we can put a long decal that runs through torso, arms, legs textures without interruption. Pretty cool.

Post edited by hansolocambo on