Can't get this street model to be ungrouped to use only 1 smaller part

launoklaunok Posts: 793
edited March 2016 in Bryce Discussion

I want to use the part on the left bottom (see attachment) of a street model by copying and pasting it for a longer street.  But I can't ungroup this to get to that part only. If I draw a block around this part it turns the whole red wireframe back to grey.  Are there a way to get to this part only?

Another question how do I add .mtl to .obj which don't have .mtl.?  I have downloaded .stl files and converted it online to .obj but no .mtl comes with conversion.  I don't have software which can import .stl formats.  When opening the .obj in Bryce it search for .mtl (textures off course).  The model opens fine in Bryce and is solid and grey but can't be ungrouped in any way to add textures myself.  Is it possible to add mats?

Any advice is appreciated.

Laura

Bryce road.JPG
1366 x 768 - 210K
Post edited by launok on

Comments

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398
    edited March 2016

Do you know what program the model was created in? Some models are made so they can't be split apart or into individual objects. If that's the case you may be able to negative Boolean  the unwanted parts.  UV mapper will split the model up for remapping. Also if you can convert it to a 3ds model online the uv information will be placed in the model file.

Post edited by S Ray on
  • launoklaunok Posts: 793

@S Ray - thank you for your advice.  It's a Sketchup model.  I should try this in Sketchup instead and do the changes in there.  I am still learning and every bit of advice is helping. smiley

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited March 2016

The thing about an .stl file is that usually they are made into one single mesh component for 3D printing and once that single component has been made, you can no longer select different parts of the model.

You can export from Sketchup as a DAE and import it into Bryce, so if you can edit it in Sketch up, you will still be able to edit it in Bryce.

Just make sure you check the .dae box at the bottom of the bryce import window before importing it or it will not work.

Hope this helps.

PS: The .mtl file in Bryce is slightly useless unless all the materials used are stored in the same folder as the model file AND the .mtl file.

Post edited by Dave Savage on