Models, objects for Bryce - your advice needed?

JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I have never been a great user of models (not the human types, but more animals, birds...etc.,), nor of objects (buildings, furniture, tools, cars, spaceships....etc., etc.,) in Bryce; except for those where I could create them myself (e.g. wheels, cogs...and anything like that with less complexity to them).

My query, then: Is it that the wonderful models and objects that I see from poster's images here in the Forum were created elsewhere in other 'wares by themselves, and then imported into Bryce? Or, is it that you are using pre-existing models - both free and commercial for your needs?

What and where are the best resources for such of the above? What 'wares are the best for creating the above?

I would like to venture into this area, but not exactly sure from where to begin, so hope you can point me in some directions.

Many thanks.
Jay

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

In my case I do tend to use a lot of imported models, human figures and animals as well, and have frequently imported some of the building and architectural models as well. When I can I prefer to tyr building my own architecture in Bryce, if I have the time left to play.

I set up my human and animla figures in Poser, as I am a bit old fashioned, worked out using Poser many years ago, and don't personally get on with Daz Studio. (I do admit that I haven't tried it since DS1, but I just don't like the interface)

How ever many people do use DS. Rashad I know has been using it quite successfully, and does help people who are having problems using the bridge, which is built into DS to send things over to Bryce.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,135
    edited December 1969

@Jamahoney - I haven't posted a render here yet but when I use characters and props, I purchase them here at DAZ and import them into Bryce. I have more issues when using Studio 4 but I still have Studio 3 installed and can bridge from Bryce in either one. There are a few models I downloaded from the Internet for free, usually I go for obj or 3ds format.

edited December 1969

And, if you are not certain where to find Freebie items, there are a few sites listed here.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/478/

And some more specific lists here, but this thread hasn't been fully populated yet, there are still a few lists to be checked for dead links and reposted.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/75/

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Ah, excellent, Chohole...just exactly the links and resources I was ininterested in (especially..the 'freebies')...WOW...so many. Checked out some - the models included (not downloaded any quite as yet) are so diverse...covering nearly all possible topics. So, thank you for that.

You, too, Horo. Have one or two of the human models for DS, but never really used them to their full extent. I had also tried Rashad's advice and thread before when importing mods/objs, and found it so simple using the Bridge - easy peasy.

Thanks to all, again.

• bjorn.lovollbjorn.lovoll Posts: 29
    edited June 2012

Sharecg is another great resource. Many use it to host their free files.
    My freebies are here:
    http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=Bjornlo

Modeled in various programs (mostly Cinema 4d or Lightwave, the older stuff is either truespace or Lightwave).. Renderosity also has a large freebie repository. I have some stuff there, but no recollection if it is duplicates of what is on sharecg or not.

There are several ways to go with models. You can browse available models for inspiration. You can build a local catalog on your PC or you can only seek out those items you need for a particular image or animation. I tend to do the last two. But I spend 10x as much time modeling as using anything else 3d related.

How amusing, I just noticed I am a new member again with this being my only post.

Post edited by bjorn.lovoll on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,135
    edited December 1969

Hey Bjorn, nice to see you back. Yes, we all started as new members. Good for you to be amused rather than vexed.

edited December 1969

Yeah, you collect little green boxes as you go along.

26th post gives you one green box
    251st post gives you a second one
    1001 gives you a 3rd green box rather than cleaning the carpet.:coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

Thanks Horo & Chohole. I'm not concerned about the post count or the old threads or any of that stuff. But having used this forum software now for just a few minutes I am about to throw in the towel on the entire site.

edited December 1969

They have been doing some tinkering behind the scenes. whic does sometimes slow things down, if that is what your experiencing.

Also we do have a problem in as much as last reply doesn't promote a thread to the top of the forum, they still can't find the right switch or whatever to sort that one out.

I am told we have nearly bald teccies, as they continue tearing their hair out, trying to sort this mes...umm.... I mean site out.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    They have been doing some tinkering behind the scenes. whic does sometimes slow things down, if that is what your experiencing.

Also we do have a problem in as much as last reply doesn't promote a thread to the top of the forum, they still can't find the right switch or whatever to sort that one out.

I am told we have nearly bald teccies, as they continue tearing their hair out, trying to sort this mes...umm.... I mean site out.

I'd be more sympathetic except the time to test things out is before you go live, no? Ah well, not going to shoot the messenger and all that. Said what I felt like saying in the "rant" thread.
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

@bjornlo

Many thanks for the additional links, and some very nice models you have there.

I’ve been experimenting making models in Bryce recently, and it seems it is quite possible to create virtually anything (have just created a spaceship for an animation I’m producing...so, so easy).

I would rather create my own than use others out there, so will go that route, however, I’m finding that using a sub-part of someone else’s model, say, a propeller, a curved wing...etc., is something that I can do and it will save a load of time – even though, I know now I could create the part. Don't be surprised then if you see one or two of your own model parts in some of my future renders ;)

Thanks again
    Jay