Outdoor type render scene..Need advice on lighting and such.

LianaLiana Posts: 1,035
edited February 2016 in Bryce Discussion

OK, I am working on  this in Daz. Posing, lighting ect. I am open to suggestions and even if Bryce might help it out more. :) I need some more experienced peeps help I think. It is for a lighting contest for newbies. I am looking more to learn than anything. Thanks!

Edit: Used 3delight as my renderer. I used a spotlight in a light yellow color and a distant light in even lighter yellow. Had a comment about too many cooler colors and that was their suggestion. Shadows are about 65% softness and 100% intensity. Illumination at 75% intensity with intensity scale at 1. I am still learning about all this stuff yet. I think I got my poses (made by me) about as good as I am going to get for a newbie for now. Just using what I have on hand at this point for textures, etc. I am going to have to make myself a "reminder list" of things to do or shut off. :)

I hope this helps.

girl n her horse.png
600 x 971 - 913K
Post edited by Liana on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

First question...which renderer are you using/wanting to use? Iray or 3Delight?

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,536

I'm not a Studio expert, the opposite is true. Only one thing I can recommend: check that the Headlamp is set to off for the renderer and to never for the camera used. This lamp is on by default.

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035

Oh sorry, I forgot to say 3delight that is what I used. The laptop does not like iray, maybe my desktop will once I get it upgraded, etc.

Horo said:

I'm not a Studio expert, the opposite is true. Only one thing I can recommend: check that the Headlamp is set to off for the renderer and to never for the camera used. This lamp is on by default.

It will become habit! I forgot to shut it off. haha I just checked will update my top picture once it is done rendering. I am out to do chores for an hour or 2. :)

I got some more advice on the contest thread, which seems pretty good. I did an update earlier today on the pic. I might try it in Bryce and post it here once I do a few more things. Might give me an opportunity to learn how to imput daz things into Bryce. Newbie thread/contest for lighting is also for Bryce renders too. Kill 2 brds with one stone as they say. I have until the 29th of Feb to complete. :)

Ok... I think I got the lighting under control for my image (Daz created one) I was creating for the newbie lighting contest. Tim's render got me to thinking (dangerous) about how I could recreate or create a new scene using the horse and character in Bryce. I have to go watch some tutorials on integrating Daz items into Bryce and making a scene. One thing leads to another..... My next project anyways. :)

girl n her horse.png
    600 x 971 - 1M
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859

you could try using the send to bryce function in daz :) ....when you do this though what has worked well for me so far anyway :) ....put everything in your scene under 1 group, when you have done that, select it by clicking it....then click file and send to bryce :D ....sorry if that is a bit confusing! ...if it is just ask and ill try and explain in a bit more detail :)

It makes sense. I just not have grouped anything yet in Daz. I just watched a bunch of Daz n Bryce videos. I think my brain is overloaded. hehe I did try "daz" button in Bryce and it seems Bryce could not find Daz. I am on Daz 4.9 64 bit on the laptop. I wonder if that is the issue? Thanks for commenting Tim. I will it a try tomorrow if I have any trouble I will post/holler here. :)

Oh...may I ask how you made the flat top platteau? I have been playing with the buttons to change shape of my terrains and I get some really weird and not so nice looking results. I think I need to do some more reading and find the right videos is all. I am struggling a bit more with Bryce than I am Daz at the moment. I will not give up! :)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,536
    edited February 2016

Liana - if the bridge doesn't work (Bryce <--> Studio), export from Studio as OBJ and import in Bryce.

Top Plateau: In the Terrain Editor (TE) click on top of the canvas  to open the sliders at right (1st picture). Grab the parenthesis with the mouse and move them up and down. Yellow gets flat on top, red cut-off from ground.
    To get a plateau. not a hole, set the terrain to Solid (2nd picture). The preview always shows the mesa, even if it is a hole.

TE-Cut

TE-Solid

TE-cut.jpg
    827 x 575 - 69K
    TE-solid.jpg
    800 x 500 - 93K
    Post edited by Horo on

I was wondering about doing something like that in the terrain canvas. I notice that the image looks very much like the ones a person can create in the tab for render-> clouds in Gimp. I am not sure what it is called in PS for sure. I think the same though.

Thanks Horo for the little pictorial tut on that. Well, not so small of a job really, unless a person is way quicker than I am doing that stuff. Greatly appreciated. :)