HDRI not visible

Lonesome CowboyLonesome Cowboy Posts: 153

hi, i need help: Since 4.9 sometimes i can't see and render the Iray-HDRI-Sets. Neither in the Iray-Preview, nor in the end-render. They don't appear in the scene and the don't appear in the render any more. It seems to be in larger scenes, but not always. I have a GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2 and 16 GB RAM !!! This must be enough.
I made images where everything is ok and then i changed the camera and some poses and suddenly the HDRI-Background isn't rendered any more.
In 4.8 i have never had such a problem, but i am not sure.

In the attached image you see the sets i have loaded, the settings in the render-tab and that there is no background behind the windows in the scene, although i made the windows invisible.

You can see all my settings in the attached images.

Image 2 is the scene without stonemasons scifi-bastion, in image 4 i tried to make the glas invisible.

It is the second time i have this problem in an iray-scene.

What's wrong here?

Thank you very much.

2016-02-03 01_25_23-DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro - Robots - Iray.duf.jpg
1693 x 648 - 976K
2016-02-03 22_18_07-DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro Public Build - Robots - Iray.duf.jpg
1842 x 686 - 535K
2016-02-03 22_04_57-DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro Public Build - Robots - Iray.duf.jpg
335 x 636 - 118K
2016-02-03 22_26_22-DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro Public Build - Robots - Iray.duf.jpg
317 x 537 - 110K
2016-02-03 22_26_41-DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro Public Build - Robots - Iray.duf.jpg
174 x 479 - 61K
Post edited by Lonesome Cowboy on

Comments

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,239

Hi There,

Can you change the dome mode to "infinite sphere". Re-render and see what happens. I made sci-fi bastion (Not stonemason) and i set the glass to refractive so it will show the exterior HDRI.

• Lonesome CowboyLonesome Cowboy Posts: 153
    edited February 2016

Thanks, I set to infinite sphere and increased the refraction values and reduced the opacity, but without result.

but there seems to be a part of the dome (the ground) but not the sky (see the orange / brown) "thing" in the window.

When i remove the scifi-bastion then all is white. No hdri environment visible.

and sorry, i made a mistake / confusion by remembering the content creator. I am very sorry.

I am sure the problem is not in the scifi bastion, the problem is somewhere else, because i have had this problem a few days ago in an other scene too:
    the first image was rendered perfect, then i changed something in the scene, pose, camera, light ... and then the environment has disappeared and was never seen again :-(

2016-02-03 23_29_12-DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro Public Build - Robots - Iray.duf.jpg
    963 x 474 - 388K
    2016-02-03 23_33_37-DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro Public Build - Robots - Iray.duf.jpg
    481 x 307 - 131K
    2016-02-03 23_35_39-DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro Public Build - Robots - Iray.duf.jpg
    744 x 611 - 150K

Have a go at this:

1:Disable all other lights in your scene.

2:Keep the dome on infinite

3: Set the refraction and opacity on the glass to 1.0 (full)

4. If the lighting is Dim, try going to Render settings/Environment and changing the environment intensity to 2.00 - 5.00 OR increasing your tonemapping exposure to a higher value. 

Can you post what happens? Cheers.

edited February 2016

all lights are off, environment intensity is at 10, tonemapping has it's standardvalue 13

(unfortunately i must go now. I will be back tomorrow)

many thanks for trying to help.

2016-02-04 01_03_08-DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro Public Build - Robots - Iray.duf.jpg
    1008 x 532 - 419K
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077
    edited February 2016

Any chance "Darw Dome" got switched off in Render Settings>Environment?

Post edited by fastbike1 on

If you turn down the environment intensity to about 2-3 you will be able to see your environment without it being blown out like above. The problem is, it's not doing much to light your scene. Try also rotating the dome to cast the dominant light (from the hdri) into the scene. 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104

Adjust the tone maping until you see the image through the windows and then adjust the interior lighting while balancing the tone settings to get the interior lights set without blowing out the dome image. It is a balancing act as the camera doesn't act like our eyes and can't compenste for the dinamic range in the image with a low light interior and a bright exterior through the windows.

edited February 2016

i set all other lights to off, i set the environment intensity to 2, i rotated the dome (but i can't see the dome) ... nothing helped

but suddenly now it is visible. Can't understand why.

I will catch the moment and render my image now.

Thanks to all for help.

2016-02-04 22_21_59-DAZ Studio 4.9 Pro - Robots - Iray.duf.jpg
    913 x 755 - 319K
  • I'm still using DS 4.8 and I am encountering this problem as well. Daz just stops drawing the Iray environment map - even when "Draw Dome" is set to on.

The only way I have found to get it to start drawing the environment map again is to quit DS then restart.

I have not been able to identify any specific actions on my part that makes it stop drawing.

I've gone away from using "visible" Iray backgrounds because of this inconsistency.

So... it's seems to be an unresolved bug in Daz Studio 4.8 and 4.9.

• edited July 2016

Further testing: Setting the 3Delight Environment Type to Backdrop might be the source of the Iray issue of inconsistently drawing the iray Environment Map.

Switching between the 3Delight Type "Backdrop" to type "None" seems to solve the problem of the iRay Environment not rendering.

Post edited by greywall_4947876a12 on
  • I think it's a problem of NVIDIA render, switch Geforce to CPU and you'll see the background appears, I just tested it and it works.

• JpegerJpeger Posts: 25

greywall_4947876a12 said:

Further testing: Setting the 3Delight Environment Type to Backdrop might be the source of the Iray issue of inconsistently drawing the iray Environment Map.

Switching between the 3Delight Type "Backdrop" to type "None" seems to solve the problem of the iRay Environment not rendering.

You are the best.  That fixed it for me.