Looking for suggestions for PC for DAZ Studio

Hello. I am looking for suggestions for buying a PC to use with DAZ Studio. It should be a laptop cause I have not a lot of space, but suggestion with comparisions of a laptop and standalone PC in the same budget are also welcomed. I made three budget tiers which are 1000 $ (not sure if anything is possible in such low budget but anyway), 1300$ and 1500$.

Thank You in advance for suggestions

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,825

Not up-to speed with PC specs/prices these days and it probably depends on what kinds of things you want to do with Daz. However, in general terms you absolutely want one with the best Nvidia RTX graphics card that you can afford with plenty of VRAM and atleast double that in normal ram. Most other things will fall in place from there.

• SofaCitizen said:

Not up-to speed with PC specs/prices these days and it probably depends on what kinds of things you want to do with Daz. However, in general terms you absolutely want one with the best Nvidia RTX graphics card that you can afford with plenty of VRAM and atleast double that in normal ram. Most other things will fall in place from there.

I am completly out of game with modern video cards. Is there any list comparing all RTX cards being currently in production? 

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,825

ancanar_3dfb1cf89d said:

I am completly out of game with modern video cards. Is there any list comparing all RTX cards being currently in production? 

I'm sure there is but I wouldn't know of a good & reliable place to find one, unfortunately, as I am not so involved in all that anymore :( I used to do all the research and build my PCs from components back in the day but have not done that for a while now. When I got my latest PC a few years ago I just bought it pre-built from a website I remembered as being good for "performance PCs" with the Nvida, RTX and VRAM points in mind.

However, since you said you were buying it for Daz then you can use those things to narrow down your choices. So when searching for a laptop within your price rage, if id does not have an nvidia graphics card then discard it since anything else is pointless (unless you will be rendering with 3delight) and if it is an nvidia card that does not mention "RTX" then you'll lose some VRAM emulating that. Since the card can only be used if the entire scene fits inside the VRAM then you want to find one that does not skimp there - the actual amount you'd need would depend on what kinds of renders you do. The system ram thing is more something that I have seen in similar posts by people who know more than I do.

Since it's a laptop I would stick to that since those are not really designed to be run full-pelt overnight which is where you would likely be if the card was not upto the task and so all your renders were dropping to CPU.

• SofaCitizen said:

ancanar_3dfb1cf89d said:

Since it's a laptop I would stick to that since those are not really designed to be run full-pelt overnight which is where you would likely be if the card was not upto the task and so all your renders were dropping to CPU.

That is actually how i am doing my renders now, but after initial minute of getting hot the CPU temperature then stabilizes around 75 C so i guess  for now i am safe (but i am planning to change the thermo paste more often than usually plus i am ussing a cooling pad)

• JamesJames Posts: 994
    edited July 22

You probably need the best GPU you can lay your hands on.
    If you want to render in IRAY, Nvidia GPU is the only choice.
    Currently the most modern card is the 4000 series.
    rtx 4090 is the ultimate and the most expensive.
    But soon in Jan 2025 the 5000 series will come out. (Said rummors)
    The price is still unknown, it could be higher than the current 4000 series or almost the same. Although I doubt it will.
    But everyone says NVIDIA card is currently overpriced compared to perfomance.

The more complex scene you want to make, the higher VRAM of GPU you'll need.
    Cos when rendering evertying must be shoved into the VRAM first.
    12GB probably decent, but windows itself takes around 4GB to run. So higher is better. 

Higher end GPU will make your rendering faster.

The rendering in IRAY for one image could takes 1 min to an hour or more, depending on the settings and your GPU speed.

I would not suggest any card lower then 4070 ti super. Unless you just want to render a character without background and stuffs.

Even the old generation 3080 ti and above still almost have the same price with the newer generation with the more less the same perfomance (in my city).
    But 3080 and 3090 have thermal problem. Like everytime I rendered the temp can reach almost 100c. While my 4070ti it just reach I think 60ish - 70ish.
    That's GPU on PC though. Not sure with GPU on laptop.

So for DAZ3d GPU is the main concern.

Unless you want to venture to other 3D software like Marvelous designer, you'll need ALSO a good cpu, cos it uses cpu to do the best simulation.
    Assets like clothing often are made in marvelous desginer.

Post edited by James on
  • jmtbankjmtbank Posts: 175

Just rolled quickly through parts picker. Looks like 1K$ is tough, as you'd suspected. There are cheaper mobos, but I wouldn't want to cut corners on the rest, unless you don't mind 2nd hand cases.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($193.45 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL38 Memory ($91.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: TEAMGROUP MP33 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI VENTUS 2X BLACK OC GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB Video Card ($432.81 @ B&H)
    Case: Zalman S2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.90 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G12 GC 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($68.93 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1092.06