Improve Render

digitelldigitell Posts: 575

I am rendering using iray and was wondering if there is a way to improve resolution. I am rendering a 6x9 scene and it looks a bit more fuzzy than my likeing. Is there a way to improve a render and what steps do

I need to take if so.

Any guideance will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,165

When you say 6x9 I assume it is the aspect ratio.

But what is the actual render in pixels?

And what do you use as Progressive Rendering settings?

And looking in the log (Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File), what is it then that has caused the render to stop?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,027
    edited July 15

a) double check your camera lens focus

b) reduce the lancos/mitchel/... radius filter to 1.0 or less

c) check for and remove fog / haze

Those are all in the render settings tab

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • digitelldigitell Posts: 575

Sorry for the delay in response. I was hospitalized.

Render size in pixels is 1800x2700.

Progressive Render settings attached image:

I looked  at the log and I cant make out anything about what could be the cause.

Thank you for your help!

Christina

ProgressiveRender.jpg
    1357 x 721 - 490K
  • felisfelis Posts: 4,165

Progressive render settings is more or less like to default.

If you make a render and look in your log, when the render is finished, the log will say how many samples and the reason for stopping. The log will also tell in the beginning of the render if it drops to CPU.

As your progressive settings are as they are, I would assume you are dropping to CPU, and the render stops after 2 hours (7200 sec). And at that point it might not be done.

What GPU do you have?

And are there sufficient lights in your scene?

• PitmaticPitmatic Posts: 871

I always turn off render quality enable it just stops your render early now it will stop when it gets to the max time or when it has reached max samples almost certainly its stoping due to the time I just max it and then wait and see if i like the result and stop it manually.

• BlueFingersBlueFingers Posts: 880

OP: It would help if you could post a render to point out what it is exactly you'd like to improve. It's kind of a guessing game now and an example could narrow down the options, perhaps also post an example of something that illustrates your goal.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,027

digitell said:

Sorry for the delay in response. I was hospitalized.

Render size in pixels is 1800x2700.

Progressive Render settings attached image:

I looked  at the log and I cant make out anything about what could be the cause.

Thank you for your help!

Christina

o) Max Time set to ZERO on the slider and it will do 5000 iterations or converge first. 7200 seconds almost is never enough for a iRay render of that size.

PLUS what I already spoke of you checking above:

a) Check and turn off/down fog/haze under the Environment

b) Adjust the Filtering to be sharper in the Filtering

c) Check the Camera Lens forcus by setting the Preview Window to use the Filament preview (top right hand side list of white gizmos)

You could probably stand to watch the introductory series of tutorials on the YouTube DAZ 3D channel; by that Dutch guy (WP?) and Colm Jackson have made them.

Thank you all for your responses! Very helpful. I am not up to par on render settings with Daz Studio and this has been a learning experience for me.

Thank you all. I was able to fix my issue. 

Cheers!

Christina

• MalandarMalandar Posts: 736

Under filtering, in the default settings you'll see a setting called gaussian, change it to mitchell and as nonesuch mentioned change the pixel filter radius to below 1 since it is at 1.5  default. I am still working on learning settings myself, but those are some that I always change.

Thank you so much Malandar! I have gone and done that now and will see how it goes. Many thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Have a good day! :)

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,897

yes I was going to point you in the direction of pixel filter radius as well, for very detailed renders (portrailts, close ups, etc) you can go even below 1. The lowest I worked with was 0.85. That will increase render time