MacBook Pro M2 crash - DAZ Studio 4.22

The latest Daz Studio release is crashing on my Macbook pro M2.

Selecting the menus reliably crashes the software. Is this a universal problem or specific to my machine/configuration? And does a solution exist?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 100,099

Is your browser open? Apparently there is a Qt issue, going by the reports I have seen, if both are open together.

• Thanks, but Daz Studio even crashes when the browser is closed and from a reboot with nothing else running. It happens both on the release and the recent Beta. If I select, say, the EDIT menu and scroll down any nested items cause the whole menu overlay to flicker and vanish. after a few times, Daz closes without a goodbye.

Thinking about it, the crashing began not long after I used an iPad Pro with screen mirroring on the same MacBook pro. I do not know if this is a coincidence and I have no access to earlier versions of Daz Studio.

• miked_8f630e0c87miked_8f630e0c87 Posts: 4
    edited July 13

Tried a complete reinstall. Deleted everything (application and everything in /Library and ~/Library) and the problem persists - Daz Studio crashes catastrophically on my Macbook Pro M2 every time. I'm stumped.

Post edited by miked_8f630e0c87 on
  • Still no solution or explanation? Maybe my system has a unique conflict? In desperation I tried the PC version with Crossover. It worked and it's fast. I can now pose and model but I haven't tried rendering or DForce yet as I suspect there will be problems. 

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 807

I have random crashes with a MacStudio (M2) and 4.22. Menus disappear all the time... and then it crashes.

• miked_8f630e0c87miked_8f630e0c87 Posts: 4
    edited July 23

Sorry to hear you're having a similiar problem. But I can find no solution and no support from anyone. I reanimated an old intel iMac to get Studio to run but I'd love an update from Daz. Or at least an acknowledgement.

Post edited by miked_8f630e0c87 on
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,507

My experience on an M3 Mac is similar. I think what's going on is that different parts of the system are disagreeing about whether the menu is open or not. What I've found works most of the time is, when the menu disappears, immediately stop moving the cursor. Hit esc to cancel any menu activity that may be still in progress. Then try the menu again. I rarely have crashes any more, and I can usually get to what I'm trying to do within a few tries.

miked_8f630e0c87 said:

Sorry to hear you're having a similiar problem. But I can find no solution and no support from anyone. I reanimated an old intel iMac to get Studio to run but I'd love an update from Daz. Or at least an acknowledgement.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/656716/daz-studio-4-22-0-x-pro-general-release#known_issues

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,064

Richard Haseltine said:

miked_8f630e0c87 said:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/656716/daz-studio-4-22-0-x-pro-general-release#known_issues

Thank you Richard for that link. I am finding that just moving my mouse without clicking anything may cause a crash. Or just opening the D|S Beta 4.22.1.161. This is on a MacBook Pro M1 laptop. But if I keep at it, and get a settled screen, I can work. But, I just started having an issue the arrow keys, when I try to move down a series of lines in the Content DB Editor, when I am fixing metadata. (Looking for a Lost and Found entry or an error on the metadata line.) This is not consistent and just started yesterday. It happens on the Compatibility Base and Compatibilities tabs. Does D|S have an issue with a Logitech MX Master mouse? It will start crashing using arrow keys after doing okay, then it will just start working again out of the blue. I have found re-booting my computer may clear this, or not.

Mary

Apparently having the browser open at the same time as DS can cause instability on Macs, or at least some Macs.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,064

My MacBook Pro sits next to my iMac, where I keep the browser on. When I do have the browser on the MBP so I can copy & paste or submit tickets for issues, it doesn't seem to match up to when the crashes occur. It seems that the first five minutes is where the bulk of my crashes happen during opening the program. Moving the cursor by the arrow keys, is totally new. I need to correct my timing on that, it was on 21 July that it started.