M40 Tesla and Titan X still supported by iray?

I noticed that Titan X Maxwell has a 2024 driver update. Does that mean Maxwell is still supposed for a few years or am I getting false hope? No im not getting RTX so don't suggest that please 

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,003

It's just a security update = The actual driver has not changed and as the driver version is 474.82, it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the latest versions of DS

• The issue isn't the drivers, it's that maxwell series are deprecated in iray, this means they could be dropped in any subsequent update of DS/iray.

DrunkMonkeyProductions said:

The issue isn't the drivers, it's that maxwell series are deprecated in iray, this means they could be dropped in any subsequent update of DS/iray.

If one uses a relatively recent version of DS, the drivers are very much the problem because Iray rendering requires 5xx drivers 

• PerttiA said:

It's just a security update = The actual driver has not changed and as the driver version is 474.82, it doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the latest versions of DS

AFAIK, this isn't accurate, as other threads on the subject have said maxwell gpus are still running in current version of DS/Iray.

I'm personally running m40's and an m4000, and iray will render on either with no issues.

PerttiA said:

AFAIK, this isn't accurate, as other threads on the subject have said maxwell gpus are still running in current version of DS/Iray.

I'm personally running m40's and an m4000, and iray will render on either with no issues.

And you are running which version of DS with which version of Nvidia drivers? 

• PerttiA said:

PerttiA said:

Personally, i'm running 4.22.0.16, with driver version 551.61 on server 2019.

PerttiA said:

PerttiA said:

So, your driver does meet the minimum version, but The Titan X didn't seem to have 5xx drivers => No Iray rendering. 

• PerttiA said:

PerttiA said:

PerttiA said:

So, your driver does meet the minimum version, but The Titan X didn't seem to have 5xx drivers => No Iray rendering. 

Uh, yeah it does, the latest available driver, for windows 10/11 is 556.12

PerttiA said:

PerttiA said:

PerttiA said:

Uh, yeah it does, the latest available driver, for windows 10/11 is 556.12

I stand corrected, I was looking at the "Standard" drivers, the "DCH" drivers are up to 556.12

• milliethegreatmilliethegreat Posts: 278

So it looks like I should be fine at least a year or so I'd assume? I'd get a p40 but the sub $200 ones all sold out on eBay and any gpu above that is too much money. If I'm good with my Titan X and a m40 for a year or two I can hold off on the p40 for when I have a little more dough. I have a Titan xp I can pair the p40 laying around in my bedroom somewhere. I just gotta find it

I see a m40 for $80 in the USA on eBay I'm considering getting within the next month or two 

It's a 24gb

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,075

24GB isn't a lot of memory.

• Richard Haseltine said:

They're talking about a Nvidia Tesla M40 computational gpu, not a system.

Richard Haseltine said:

They're talking about a Nvidia Tesla M40 computational gpu, not a system.

yeah I was speaking about the m40 Tesla. The system Ram is 128gb ddr4 (the max the motherboard can support) 2666ghz. I still remember the days when 24gb was considered a crap ton of Ram. And when a quad core cpu was considered high end oh yeah and when triple core amd CPUs and unlocking that "hidden" core on your amd CPU if you have the right CPU and motherboard were a thing and having a 4tb hard drive required a motherboard with a specific feature to make it supported. But I digress....

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,605

Just a heads up for a m40 or p40 tesla you need to get a power input adapter and you need take the shroud off and zip tie some fans to the passive cooler for these to work. These cards are server cards ment to use server cooling and not designed to work with desktop pc. Also note: MSI Afterburner will not work due to nvidia takeing the fan power connection off the card so you will need to make use of motherboard fan headers. Save yourself some headaches and just get a 3090 that works and have someone who knows what they are doing and repaste the gpu for you. The problem is most people are trying to get these cards to do AI and it is driving up the cost and they are not work the pain.

milliethegreat said:

I still remember the days when 24gb was considered a crap ton of Ram. And when a quad core cpu was considered high end oh yeah and when triple core amd CPUs and unlocking that "hidden" core on your amd CPU if you have the right CPU and motherboard were a thing and having a 4tb hard drive required a motherboard with a specific feature to make it supported. But I digress....

Now you are talking about pretty recent 'high end' computers...

In 1987, I used my student loan for that year on a 286 with math processor, 1MB of RAM, 30MB hardrive and a VGA display, no mouse, no sound, no printer...

• Silver Dolphin said:

Just a heads up for a m40 or p40 tesla you need to get a power input adapter and you need take the shroud off and zip tie some fans to the passive cooler for these to work. These cards are server cards ment to use server cooling and not designed to work with desktop pc. Also note: MSI Afterburner will not work due to nvidia takeing the fan power connection off the card so you will need to make use of motherboard fan headers. Save yourself some headaches and just get a 3090 that works and have someone who knows what they are doing and repaste the gpu for you. The problem is most people are trying to get these cards to do AI and it is driving up the cost and they are not work the pain.

The m40 and p40 use 8 pin EPS, aka, cpu power. Depending on powersupply, motherboard and cpu, you may have one avaialable.

Even if you need an adapter, it's $7 for the one i use, part number 030-0571-000 which is 2 pci-e 8 pin to one 8 pin eps.

A 3090 can have the problem as it requires 12pin instead of 8.

Taking the shroud off and just zip tying a couple fans on there, isn't going to work all that well, as the fins on telsa's are bent/closed off, and most consumer type fans don't move enough air to keep these things cool anyway. A blower fan(delta bfb1012vh for instance, $10-15 on ebay) works better, and can just be attached to the support bracket(if included), or one can use an adapter, either purchased(~$10 on ebay) or 3d printed, to mount the fan directly to the card.

unfortunately, most consumer motherboards don't supply enough amperage from their headers to run fans like this, so an add-on fan controller(~$10 on ebay), or just a power adapter may be required(~$5 on ebay, but may require a bit of electronics knowledge to connect properly).

Even if you have to fully kit it out, power adapter, fan duct, fan, and fan controller, you're looking at  ~$90 usd for the m40 12GB and $130 for the 24GB.

Which is about 1/6th to 1/10th the purchase cost of a used 3090. $650 on ebay and new egg was $900 for a 'refurbished' model.

If you don't need to purchase everything else, the m40 is $40 and $80 respectively for the 12GB and 24GB models.

Which is about 75% down from when i purchased in 2021 at $125 each for my m40 12GB, the 24GB were close/over $200, and the p40's were 3-400.

The p40, is just normal used market fluctuations. It's up $70 from when i bought in 2023, $180 then to $250 now, but i've seen it much higher(4-500) and lower(160 at the lowest) in the last couple years, and wild fluctuations just from month to month.

While neither card, m40 or p40, is going to be close to performance of the 3090, and lacks nvlink capability, some of us just have to make due with what we can afford.

Personally i could drop 40-80 on a gpu, but 200 is pushing it, and 650 is straight up not happening.

• Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,605

Monkey can you send me a link for a $130 p40 tesla? That is the very best deal I have ever heard of LOL

I have a fan and adapter for a m40 24gb which are currently sub $100 USD used on eBay and I'm NOT buying ANY RTX! There's literally zero way I can afford those. I'm maxing out my budget for the month if I was to get a $130 p40. I got lucky a got backpay enough to get an i9 a arc a770 new motherboards ram and a power supply for my unreal engine system (i focused on my unreal engine system more because a rarely render in Daz. I use unreal engine 5.4 99% of the time which is another reason I'm not investing in a $500-$1000 Nvidia or otherwise gpu) so it's not like I'm loaded. So I'm probably getting the m40. I used to have a server with three of them a a k620 but it got fried in a thunderstorm ;( I plan on rebuilding it overtime. With different hardware but same gpus.

Just for all those folks in the USA looking for a used P40 on eBay you're currently screwed. The only ones sold on eBay right now are from china. Don't buy them they're no good. I had bad experiences with overseas sellers selling hardware. Oh the many stories I could tell......,