DIM - I must be doing something wrong

The loading time for my Daz Install Manager is, in my opinion, insanely long.

I timed it before I made this post; 4 minutes and 16 seconds, from when I pushed the DIM's start button until I could actually use the DIM.

Is it normal? How can I, apart from deleting items, shorten that time?

(I doubt there is a hardware problem since I have a decent computer.)

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,779

When DIM starts up I believe it reads/checks all your manifest files and then sends data to the store to see if there is anything missing - so it can provide you with the list of stuff available to download.

Therefore, there are a few things that cause it to be slow:

1. How many things you have already downloaded
    2. How those manifest files are stored - e.g. (from faster to slower) SSD -> HD -> Network drive
    3. How many products you have purchased + your network connection - this is probably the least important but may have an effect if the Daz server is having an off-day.

Your manifest files can be stored somewhere aprart from your actual library and so ideally they should be on your fastest drive/storage option.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,413

SofaCitizen said:

When DIM starts up I believe it reads/checks all your manifest files and then sends data to the store to see if there is anything missing - so it can provide you with the list of stuff available to download.

DIM gets a product list from the store, it doesn't send anything but the long-in and a request for data as far as I know. Generally Daz software asks for info rather than sending it, then does a local comparison, as far as I know.

Therefore, there are a few things that cause it to be slow:

1. How many things you have already downloaded
    2. How those manifest files are stored - e.g. (from faster to slower) SSD -> HD -> Network drive
    3. How many products you have purchased + your network connection - this is probably the least important but may have an effect if the Daz server is having an off-day.

Your manifest files can be stored somewhere aprart from your actual library and so ideally they should be on your fastest drive/storage option.

Generally my already owned and downloaded content (Ready to Instal and Installed) populartes before the Ready to Downlaod tab. Four minutes does sound rather a long time for recent versions of DIM - one other factor is security software and the like, if it is checking each (or many of) the file actions. I have certainly had trouble with security software flashing a heuristic warning over updates, with both DIM and Connect.