What Makes a G8 Item NOT Conform to Genesis 8.1?

Why do some items for G8 want to launch the transfer utility when you try to load them on G8.1 and others don't? The default behavior is that they are supposed to just load.

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,200

Are you sure it is not G8.1 items loaded on G8?

G8.1 should accept G8 as compatible base.

Anyway if it opens autofit, cancel the proces. Then change scene identification on the item to match the character you want to use it on, and then fit it to the character.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,464

Thanks, but yes... I'm sure. 

felis said:

Are you sure it is not G8.1 items loaded on G8?

G8.1 should accept G8 as compatible base.

Anyway if it opens autofit, cancel the proces. Then change scene identification on the item to match the character you want to use it on, and then fit it to the character.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

If an item triggers the autofit dialogue, the items Scene Identification is not correct, you need to fix it.

edited June 13

So yes, indeed it was wrong. It was set to be for Genesis 8.1. But I was fitting it to 8.1, so I don't know how that prompts the Auto Transfer dialog.

And even after correcting it to Genesis 8 Male (from Genesis 8.1 Male) it launches the Auto Transfer Dialog when trying to fit it to Genesis 8.1 Male

PerttiA said:

If an item triggers the autofit dialogue, the items Scene Identification is not correct, you need to fix it.

Post edited by evilded777 on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

Preferred Base should be Genesis 8 Male, use the three dots on the right to change.

What is the comptability base of the character?

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886

Possibly missing the "prefered base" setting, and DS is using the metadata and the CMS to conform it to G8, and without that setting the coding that allows G8.1 to use G8 content hasn't a clue that it is G8 content.

If I load the item, without conforming it... the Prefered Base is blank (should not be). Not matter how many times I fix it to be the correct Genesis 8 Male, it goes back to being blank.

Where is the Preferred Base information actually stored? Is that in the database? If so, where? Clearly this needs some surgery and I've run across this before and I would like to be able to fix it. I am perfectly comfortable in the database or pulling apart the DUF file if I have to. This is tedious and annoying.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442

Preferred Base is saved with the geometry .dsf file when it is created. You use the Scene Identification dialog to set the Compatibility Base/Preferred Base/Autofit Base before saving. You need to save it over the original (Save As -> Support Asset -> Figure/Prop Asset...) if you want to change it permanently. Or, you could just edit the .dsf file and change it there.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886

Buried inside the items main DSF file.

What you are looking for in there is the "presentation" section, the attached image will give you a rough idea of what you are hopeing to see.

Pref-base.jpg
    643 x 152 - 61K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,413

If you use Filter By Content in the Smart Content pane, with the base Genesis 8.1 selected, do you see the expected items? Some products usurp the base identity and that will break features that depend on it. Usually reinstalling the Starter Essentials will fix that.

The smart content is non-existent. Had to build it myself

Richard Haseltine said:

If you use Filter By Content in the Smart Content pane, with the base Genesis 8.1 selected, do you see the expected items? Some products usurp the base identity and that will break features that depend on it. Usually reinstalling the Starter Essentials will fix that.

Thank you. I have not been able to find it yet.

Bejaymac said:

Buried inside the items main DSF file.

What you are looking for in there is the "presentation" section, the attached image will give you a rough idea of what you are hopeing to see.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,413

evilded777 said:

The smart content is non-existent. Had to build it myself

Richard Haseltine said:

Well, if that means the compatibility data is mising for the item you are loading that might well be the issue.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,237

DS only added extended Preferred Base in G8.1's DSF files to make them "backward compatible" with G8.0's wearables. So changing Preferred Base in this wearable is doable as long as you installed the products with DIM and you may see the list of Preferred Base.

After setting it correctly as per screenshot 1, with the wearable selected, go to the menu: File - Save As - Support Asset - Save Modified Assets.... Then delete it and reload it to whatever G8.0M or G8.1M, it'll fit without bring you Auto-Fit.

Or another option, you can select G8.0M, in its Scene Identification dialogue, temporarily change the Auto-Fit Base to /Genesis 8.1/Male, that'll also prevent Auto-Fit pops up..

SNAG-2024-6-14-003.png
    1470 x 1294 - 262K

Thanks everyone for your responses. The correct answer, as far as I am concerned, is to use DSON edit to add the prefered base in correctly where it is supposed to be, because it is in fact missing completely from the file.

Which character are you using?

Not using a character. And the problem is with the conforming item.

felis said:

Which character are you using?