Migrate custom actions to new computer

Hello all,

I have exported Actions, Menus, Layout and Toolbars as dsx files from one computer intending to replicate the work environment in another one. Almost everything worked when I imported the files, but custom actions do not seem to import. When I look into the customization dialog for the menus, I see codes where the actions should be (see attached image), but custom actions on the left are empty and so are the menus when I try to use them.

I tried to recreate some custom actions and they work correctly, but I wanted to import from the old computer to avoid recreating them manually.

Are custom actions really attached to one computer or can I copy them to the new one someway?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2024-05-16 191503.png
752 x 790 - 206K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,447

When an action is created it stores the absolute path, not just the relative path, so if that chnages the action will no longer work. The menus and toolbars refer to actions by their GUID, generated on creation, and if the action is no longer valid all you will see is the GUID.

• fullerdbfullerdb Posts: 45
    edited May 16

From that I undestand that an imported custom action would have the same GUID and would be "seen" by the menus. The issue then is why aren't the actions imported.

The old computer has two content libraries in different drives (D and E), the new one has only one (D). The paths from drive D are the same. Some actions would have the same full path (by which I mean their underlying products have the same path) while others really would not. Should not the actions that keep the same full path work then? Or is it an all or nothing situation when importing the custom actions (if one cannot find its product none is imported)?

Post edited by fullerdb on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,447

I would certainly expect actions which still have the same absolute path to work.

• fullerdbfullerdb Posts: 45
    edited May 16

I will double check the paths when I can get back to the old computer. I must have that wrong or it would work then.

Thanks for the help!

Post edited by fullerdb on