What do you use DAZ for?

Drogo NazhurDrogo Nazhur Posts: 1,039
edited April 25 in The Commons

Just curious what people do with these renders? I tell online stories ==> https://theneverendingstory.thecomicseries.com/

What do other people do with it?

Post edited by Drogo Nazhur on

Comments

• My original purpose was to create 3D art featuring my story's characters, to provide inspiration for writing my books.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,600

Digital art and Images for myself and other (non DAZ) galleries. I also do commercial work for a couple of book publishers and the occasional commission. I have done game design for the past 20+ years, so I also use models for my own personal mods at times.

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 308

I make comics.

They are very wordy comics, but I've discovered that I can get people to read stories more readily if they're in that format.

I never, never link them here because, while I don't consider them particularly adult content, they do have sex scenes, and they're often quite weird. But here are two (safe) panels from the one currently under construction.

Clip.jpg
    1080 x 729 - 289K
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,223

When I first started using DS, I was just rendering goofy little scenes that amused me and posting them online. I've done a few commissions for DeviantArt followers, but as I'm practically allergic to any kind of self-promotion I haven't made much money off my art. For the last couple years, DS has been little more than a platform for exporting content to other programs as I've been getting more seriously into animation.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,156
    edited April 25

I like to make Animation for the fun of it

this is a new animate short i done recently  click to play ~best viewed in 1080hd

Post edited by Ivy on
  • jd641jd641 Posts: 428
    edited April 25

My original intention was to make a comic, but as a professional procrastinator and hater of every bit of art I've ever made, after all these years I still haven't done what I set out to do so I just make random things that I see in my mind with what I've bought. One day... one day. crying

Post edited by jd641 on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

Illustrations. Mainly for .pdf editions of fanfics, done with the authors' permission. The ones posted are here: There's about the same number of them that are unposted, since the authors didn't give me permission to do a project for postinhg. Those usually never leave my hard drive.

http://www.redhen-publications.com/publications-main.html#

Only the publication projects created since about 2011 are illustrated with 3D renders. The older ones are decorated with modified clip art.

There's also a Graphics collection and most of the fan works posted there are also done in Studio.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,516

Mostly music videos. Hubby and I have a recording studio since 2002. 7 Electrics guitars plus one bass, with the latest addition being a Les Paul Phenix, Frampton custom. Out of the 4 keyboards, the best we have is a Korg Kronos. We have3 acoustic/electric guitars, but the 1 1990's acoustic 6 string I bought back in Canada. Our Marshal amps are from hubby's band days, but we use Klipsch speakers for playback. We own a Boss digital system but recently bought Pro Tools Ultimate perpetual license. Currently have a dozen or more song lyrics and melody originals, (private on YouTube due to prepping for various outlets.) I originally joined Daz for the purpose of using Daz for animated book trailers for a fantasy series (currently pulled down for rebranding) featuring original songs. Goal is to republish the music (most are theme songs for the Toxic Thoughts books) and redo the Crashing like aka Afterlife Matrix trailer to animate with the addition of 3D art. All trailers and music and a few books have been made private until we get our ducks in order which hopefully will be before 2024 ends. I was making trailers for the memoir series from still photos, but for one book, I had no photos, nothing. Walked away from the marriage empty handed so I joined DAZ to try to recreate those lost assets and decided after that to pull books down, some 5 star reviewed books - ouch!), and rebrand ... a work in progress.The best thing about the 3d assets is the ability to create cohesive marketing assets.

• Most commonly?  One-off renders without narrative content.  Sometimes a series with different camera placements, render settings, or change of pose.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,880

silly YouTube videos

mostly without narrative thought I have done a few that are even series

I decided to do lots of "music" videos using Youtube audio library tunes after finding every one I searched usually had a single boring stolen stock image with a soundwave visualisation display if lucky.

I just thoight if it were me I would like some sort of videoclip to go with the tune otherwise one might as well listen to Soundcloud or Spotify

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

Ivy said:

I like to make Animation for the fun of it

this is a new animate short i done recently  click to play ~best viewed in 1080hd

..very nicely done..  

• DripDrip Posts: 1,143

Mostly backgrounds for my mobile. They rotate every time I unlock it.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

...I started in this to create scenes, settings, and characters for the Shadowrun RPG campaign I was running at the time after arthritis made it extremely difficult (and painful) to draw and paint.  That scenario ended up becoming basis for a major story I've been working on that I would also like to illustrate.  

I also do a bit of commission work now and then mainly for "pocket money" so to say, though looking to get back into getting back into creating gallery quality works to exhibit Sci-Fi  convention art shows and selling prints of them.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758
    edited April 25

Comic books, music videos and comics into videos and videos into comocs..

The Dynamic Spider-Man Plus

The Dynamic Spider-Man Plus

https://www.webtoons.com/en/canvas/the-dynamic-spider-man-plus/list?title_no=710590

Post edited by Griffin Avid on
  • semperequstrisemperequstri Posts: 146

I use DAZ to create reference images for my 2D artwork ( mostly graphic novels)

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,767

I originally planned to use it to illustrate stories.....ended up making products    *shrug*    sometimes you just fall into paths in life

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,643

Drogo Nazhur said:

Just curious what people do with these renders? I tell online stories ==> https://theneverendingstory.thecomicseries.com/

I used DAZ renders as reference for my oil paintings. It's indespensible!

I used the Storybook Mouse and a couple pistols firing for this one.

Painting - Mouse Assasin by Michael Creese 

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 308

vonHobo said:

Drogo Nazhur said:

I love it, vonHobo, I really do, but I also have to say that my brain immediately went to

STUART LITTLE 2

He's back ... and he's pissed off

• dortybassadortybassa Posts: 490

I use it so that I can legitimately post on the forums.  If I buy the stuff, you aren't going to stop me pretending I use it and don't just empty my wallet with it!

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,095

I love to create pictures of beautiful women enjoying a gorgeous, wide open landscape. This is typical of the images I like to make:

Every now & again my pictures include men, in which case the bloke is usually being an oaf or a downtrodden foil to the female character.

Regards,

Richard

• ZiconZicon Posts: 184

In part I use it for "whatever I need an image for": Portraits of TTRPG characters or NPCs, postcards as small gifts, wallpapers for the computer or phone. If this was my only use, I'd be very happy just to have such a tool available.

But my main use is part of a creative feedback loop: I have aphantasia, so my ability to visualise is somewhere between "extremely poor" and "non-existent". I do a lot of creative writing, and use DS to visualise the people and scenes to ensure they make sense, and add in detail I otherwise would simply be unable to imagine. This in turn tends to trigger more writing, which triggers a need for more renders, which ... you see where this is going. It's simply invaluable for feeding my creative mind.

• vonHobovonHobo Posts: 1,643

columbine said:

vonHobo said:

Drogo Nazhur said:

I love it, vonHobo, I really do, but I also have to say that my brain immediately went to

STUART LITTLE 2

He's back ... and he's pissed off

Thank you Columbine! I will have to watch that movie. Haven't seen it. But I heard it's good!

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,906

I animate. Here's a shot I worked on yesterday for fun for my demo reel. I used the start to a fight scene from Jackie Chan's Police Story as reference. 

Test Shot (youtube.com)

I created the keyframes in Daz since initial posing is so much easier with power pose in Daz. Then brought those keys in to Blender to do the breakdowns/splining/adjustments to fit the car. I would have brought that back to Daz to render, but the car is from a Blender add-on that has like IK controls, so it was so much easier to make the car look like it was stopping suddenly, so I rendered the shot in Blender too. I have to work on some sound effects tonight for it. 

• RawArt said:

I originally planned to use it to illustrate stories.....ended up making products    *shrug*    sometimes you just fall into paths in life

Ooh, that's super-interesting. I don't think I knew that about you. Makes sense that you were interested in stories, given how distinct and great for storytelling your characters/figures are.

Did you have prior experience in modeling? I've considered how I might recoup some of my massive monetary investment in Daz, and that is one thing I've considered.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,516

RawArt said:

Very interesting . . . own a fourth of your catalogue and love so many of your products. Unforeseen paths can make us, or break us. My boss warned my fiancé (now husband of 20 years) that I would be too high maintenance for him. I ended up being his caregiver after 5 years of marraige (no regrets). I found an abandoned newborn finch in a nest outside our door and hand fed it for months and set it free on July 4th. I'd watch the sky, looking to spot it . . .  see if it was okay. Hubby thought I regretted setting it free so he and his relatives started buying me birds. Now I own an aviary of 200 birds. Forks in the road. Never know where they will lead us.

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 903

I originally planned to use it as an art reference and to illustrate stories, but then realized that it is an expensive hobby to maintain, so started making poses to cover the costs. Now I also use Daz as part of my workflow in creating book covers on Fiverr. Some of the best examples with characters are probably the covers of Eight Sword Legend by C.R.R. Peyton and Shattered Rebellion by Jason Storm, where I used a Genesis 8.1 figure to create the main image and built the covers around that. In some cases, it makes it a lot easier to tailor a cover to the author's specific needs to use 3D either as a base or to fill in when they need something super specific that we can't find stock photos for. Daz assets are excellent for that.

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 197

So far... mostly I use it for cussing at while I try to figure out how to make it work.

But when it goes right, I make pictures to go with the stories and people that live in my head. I spent eighteen years under the thumb of an abusive narcissist husband, who (among other things) did his utmost to make sure I never had time or resources to make any kind of art. Now that I am (gleefully, gratefully) a full custody single parent, pretty much everything revolves around the kids (one of whom is nonverbal autistic) but Daz art is my one thing just for me. I've always wanted to do photorealistic 3D, and now I finally can. I can learn to make beauty, and it might take an age, but someday my stories will be graphic novels (even if no one ever sees them but me) and every little trick I learn is a triumph. He can no longer stop me.

• Quixotry said:

I originally planned to use it as an art reference and to illustrate stories, but then realized that it is an expensive hobby to maintain, so started making poses to cover the costs. Now I also use Daz as part of my workflow in creating book covers on Fiverr. Some of the best examples with characters are probably the covers of Eight Sword Legend by C.R.R. Peyton and Shattered Rebellion by Jason Storm, where I used a Genesis 8.1 figure to create the main image and built the covers around that. In some cases, it makes it a lot easier to tailor a cover to the author's specific needs to use 3D either as a base or to fill in when they need something super specific that we can't find stock photos for. Daz assets are excellent for that.

How hard is/was it to get into selling poses? I would really like to find a way to start recouping my expenses while I work on my longer-term creative work. Book covers are something else I should look at.

P.S. I love the stuff of yours that I own!

• echristopherclarkechristopherclark Posts: 214
    edited April 26

SilverGirl said:

So far... mostly I use it for cussing at while I try to figure out how to make it work.

But when it goes right, I make pictures to go with the stories and people that live in my head. I spent eighteen years under the thumb of an abusive narcissist husband, who (among other things) did his utmost to make sure I never had time or resources to make any kind of art. Now that I am (gleefully, gratefully) a full custody single parent, pretty much everything revolves around the kids (one of whom is nonverbal autistic) but Daz art is my one thing just for me. I've always wanted to do photorealistic 3D, and now I finally can. I can learn to make beauty, and it might take an age, but someday my stories will be graphic novels (even if no one ever sees them but me) and every little trick I learn is a triumph. He can no longer stop me.

Happy to hear you're out from under the thumb of such a bad dude. And I totally feel your pain about cussing at Daz while learning it!

Post edited by echristopherclark on
  • RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,767

echristopherclark said:

RawArt said:

Ooh, that's super-interesting. I don't think I knew that about you. Makes sense that you were interested in stories, given how distinct and great for storytelling your characters/figures are.

Did you have prior experience in modeling? I've considered how I might recoup some of my massive monetary investment in Daz, and that is one thing I've considered.

Modeling..no....I was (am) a graphic artist by profession and training, so I started with just doing textures...then grew from there, learning a little here and there

And yeah...I love story telling. I drive my wife nuts because anything we watch (movies or tv) I constantly say "ya know the story would be so much better if they did this or that". So I rewrite everything I see (in my head) :P