Custom actions missing.

Like the title says, all my custom actions/toolbars etc are missing. When I go to workspace customise, over on the left, Custom is empty, on the right under favorites the folder structure is still there, but my commands have been replaced with some gibberish.

When I go to export the action/menu/toolbar state. It defaults to "C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\user layouts" which is where I've been exporting them to for forever.

But if I select import, it defaults to C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio416\resources\layouts.

I tried copying my files over to the other directory, and then import them, but it still doesn't work.

I'm guessing my layout files have become corrupted somehow. Yes/no/maybe?

DazLayout.jpg
1294 x 955 - 547K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,093

The gibberish is the GUID assigend to the custom action oin its creation, that is how the system tracks it (then the GUID is used ti get the action's name and location as needed) - the GUID is stored in the CustomActions.dsx file, along with the absolute path to the file - if the path is changed, or if the GUID is missing, or if the action is recreated with a new GUID, then the action will not be available from any menus or toolbars to which it was assigned.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,793

Firstly, all the user custom actions are store in the file "customactions.dsx" within this folder: %appdata%\DAZ 3D\Studio4\ You check this file first, see if it's still there, corrupt or not, etc. (e.g. open it with Notepad++...)

Secondly, have you ever saved User Layout before ? If you have, try loading the saved layout.

• mmoch25mmoch25 Posts: 122

crosswind said:

Firstly, all the user custom actions are store in the file "customactions.dsx" within this folder: %appdata%\DAZ 3D\Studio4\ You check this file first, see if it's still there, corrupt or not, etc. (e.g. open it with Notepad++...)

Secondly, have you ever saved User Layout before ? If you have, try loading the saved layout.

I appreciate the replies. The customactions.dsx file is there. No matter what I tried the layout wouldn't load completely, all custom shortcuts were missing, but the Daz shortcuts like "Select Children" & "Zero Figure Pose" are still there. I've since deleted the "broken" links and have started rebuilding my shortcuts, that could be why the dsx file is there.

I have saved the user layout before, but I'm unsure if I did it correctly. Do I export each element as well as save the layout? And what directory should they be saved to, The "appdata" path or "Program Files path"? When saving the layout do I leave the elements as custom or select the name I exported them as, if I do indeed have to export them in the first place.

If the location of the files had changed, even if they were still in the same relative path within a different, correctly selected, content directory then they would fail.

Richard Haseltine said:

If the location of the files had changed, even if they were still in the same relative path within a different, correctly selected, content directory then they would fail.

So then it doesn't matter where I save the layout or export the elements to, as long as they aren't moved? Which I'm certain I haven't moved anyway.

I have organised and moved poses in the past, an the shortcut failed to load due to them being moved, but the label in favourites or scripts was still written as I had saved it, but obviously the path had changed so they failed, this though, what's happened now is something completely new.

A side note, my computer seemed to be taking forever to shutdown one evening not too long ago, I might have been using Daz beforehand I'm not sure, anyway I clicked shutdown anyway, essentially forcing it to shutdown, is it possible that could have corrupted the layout? Because I'm certain I haven't been moving or renaming content directories.

Which of the two directories mentioned should I save and export my layout and elements to?

It's the location of the targets for the custom actions - the scripts or content - that I was talking about.

Again, I've moved pose targets in the passed, or just correcting a spelling error, and they have failed, like you are saying, which I understand totally. What I'm saying when that happened the label still appears how I created them, Walk01, Walk02, Standing hand on hip etc, it's just they won't load because the target pose path has changed, which I understand. This, what's happening now, I don't understand, because I haven't changed or moved anything.

edited April 25

mmoch25 said:

crosswind said:

I appreciate the replies. The customactions.dsx file is there. No matter what I tried the layout wouldn't load completely, all custom shortcuts were missing, but the Daz shortcuts like "Select Children" & "Zero Figure Pose" are still there. I've since deleted the "broken" links and have started rebuilding my shortcuts, that could be why the dsx file is there.

I have saved the user layout before, but I'm unsure if I did it correctly. Do I export each element as well as save the layout? And what directory should they be saved to, The "appdata" path or "Program Files path"? When saving the layout do I leave the elements as custom or select the name I exported them as, if I do indeed have to export them in the first place.

Better post a screenshot or attach customactions.dsx file down below. As it's an XML file, if there's any wrong code in the file, for instance, you edited the file but accidentally deleted some codes... even just a bracket character is missing in a nested coding block, you'll lose all custom actions in F3 dialogue...

Like the example in the attached screenshot, if just a bracket is missing, you'll get the actions lost... Then if you exited DS with this wrong result, you would totally lose all the definitions of Custom Actions... if you had no backup...

SNAG-2024-4-25-001.png
    2560 x 1296 - 542K
    SNAG-2024-4-25-002.png
    1085 x 779 - 64K
    Post edited by crosswind on

I've never edited any file, today is the first I've heard of this customactions.dsx. I think I messed it up when shutting down my PC. More than likely Daz was writting, something hung and I clicked shutdown anyway.

mmoch25 said:

I've never edited any file, today is the first I've heard of this customactions.dsx. I think I messed it up when shutting down my PC. More than likely Daz was writting, something hung and I clicked shutdown anyway.

Odd~ Anyway, if you're not able to recover this file... you have to recreate the custom actions as well as link them to menu/toolbar...

crosswind said:

mmoch25 said:

Odd~ Anyway, if you're not able to recover this file... you have to recreate the custom actions as well as link them to menu/toolbar...

I've already started redoing it all, through trying to find out what was wrong, I saved, loaded, exported, imported, restarted Daz, restarted the PC. Through all of that, I had no hope of salvaging that file and my layout.

Thanks for all the help.