Rendering taking too long to finish

Hey guys! As the title says, I'm facing a new problem with Daz, more specifically rendering scenes from an adult mini comic series that I recently started working on. The problem started when I let Daz render the 12th scene at 1am (GMT-3) today and when I woke up this morning at 6am, Daz was still rendering the scene at 40%, that is, 4 hours of rendering and it wasn't even halfway done yet! The strangest thing about all this is that the scene I was rendering had exactly the same characters and scenery as the previous renders, and all the previous scenes only took 2 hours at most, which leads me to believe that Daz probably made a fallback to the CPU because of memory problems with the GPU, but that doesn't make sense, since this scene was the same as the others, the difference was minimal and the only thing that changes is the camera position.

I will attach my log file here, however after this problem occurred, I disabled the CPU and CPU fallback in Iray tab to prevent Daz from switching to the CPU without prior warning, and rendered this same scene, but as a test and monitoring the usage of my RTX 3060 12GB in Task Manager. After 2 minutes of testing, I discovered that VRAM usage was around 10GB, which is technically a high value, but VRAM usage still remained at around 10GB, so why did Daz make this fallback? Remembering that the scene is exactly the same as the others I was rendering, and the others only took 2 hours, so something must have gone wrong for Daz to take more than 4 hours to finish! If anyone can help me with this problem, I would appreciate it!

My PC config:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2670 v3 (12C/24T)

GPU: RTX 3060 12GB

RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz ECC

Nvidia driver version: 552.22

Daz version:  4.22

txt
txt
log.txt
Post edited by Magic Dragon 3D on

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,581
    edited April 22

Have you used Iray preview during the same session that you are rendering in?

There are some issues in your log;

SubD is set too high on these items;
    Object DS_shape_795f_7724: the parametric approximation level is set to 3. The original value of 6 would produce too much geometry in a single mesh.
    Object DS_shape_7ae5_9896: the parametric approximation level is set to 4. The original value of 5 would produce too much geometry in a single mesh.

You have a very large triangle-mesh in your scene;
    1 triangle object with 40 M triangles, 1 instance yielding 40 M triangles

Your user name is using non-US characters (may cause miscellaneous problems);
    "\\?\C:\Users\Usuário\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Daz Connect Library\data"

TaskManager is not a good tool to monitor RAM and VRAM usage, GPU-Z is better
    With the warnings about heavy geometry, it may be that the 10GB VRAM usage was after the geometry was loaded onto VRAM (especially if you had used Iray preview prior to rendering)

Post edited by PerttiA on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,310

Your render dropped to CPU, which is much slower. You do appear to have issues in general - duplicate formula warnings on loading, the application doesn't seem to be exiting cleanly - but those would not usually affect rendering I think.

• PerttiA said:

Have you used Iray preview during the same session that you are rendering in?

There are some issues in your log;

SubD is set too high on these items;
    Object DS_shape_795f_7724: the parametric approximation level is set to 3. The original value of 6 would produce too much geometry in a single mesh.
    Object DS_shape_7ae5_9896: the parametric approximation level is set to 4. The original value of 5 would produce too much geometry in a single mesh.

You have a very large triangle-mesh in your scene;
    1 triangle object with 40 M triangles, 1 instance yielding 40 M triangles

Your user name is using non-US characters (may cause miscellaneous problems);
    "\\?\C:\Users\Usuário\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Daz Connect Library\data"

TaskManager is not a good tool to monitor RAM and VRAM usage, GPU-Z is better
    With the warnings about heavy geometry, it may be that the 10GB VRAM usage was after the geometry was loaded onto VRAM (especially if you had used Iray preview prior to rendering)

Yes, I had used Iray preview before rendering to check how my scene would look before I fully rendered it, but I don't know if that could be the reason.

Regarding the characters in Non-US, it's because I'm Brazilian and all my Windows is configured in PT-BR, so I believe it's normal for Daz not to recognize Portuguese

• Richard Haseltine said:

Your render dropped to CPU, which is much slower. You do appear to have issues in general - duplicate formula warnings on loading, the application doesn't seem to be exiting cleanly - but those would not usually affect rendering I think.

Yes, there was a fallback for the CPU as I said previously, but I don't understand why this happened as the scene itself clearly could have been rendered by the GPU. I took a closer look at the log, and discovered that in the section about Iray, my RTX 3060 apparently stopped being recognized for some unknown reason, which made CPU rendering the only alternative, leaving the process extremely slow. 

Regarding the duplicate formula, I believe it was a product that I purchased and installed twice, I think there was a conflict in the D.Master facial expressions bundle, but I'm too busy to correct this at moment. 

There are threads which are indicating that when using Iray preview, DS creates a preview cache in VRAM (keeps stuff stored in VRAM for later use)
    Regular Iray rendering does the same, but as it's rendering at better quality, it doesn't use the same cache but creates one of it's own and if there is a preview cache already, one has less VRAM for the real rendering, so it's better to switch to "Texture Shaded", save the scene, exit DS, open the scene in DS again without checking Iray preview.

There have been several cases, where something has not worked because the name of a product or the path to the product files has contained non-US characters.

Although your log doesn't specifically say that you ran out of VRAM, the warnings about heavy geometry are hinting that way.
    Your GPU using 10GB's of VRAM is no proof that the card didn't run out of VRAM, that could be how much the base load (about 4GB's), the preview cache and geometry were taking - Leaving no room for the textures.

• PerttiA said:

There are threads which are indicating that when using Iray preview, DS creates a preview cache in VRAM (keeps stuff stored in VRAM for later use)
    Regular Iray rendering does the same, but as it's rendering at better quality, it doesn't use the same cache but creates one of it's own and if there is a preview cache already, one has less VRAM for the real rendering, so it's better to switch to "Texture Shaded", save the scene, exit DS, open the scene in DS again without checking Iray preview.

There have been several cases, where something has not worked because the name of a product or the path to the product files has contained non-US characters.

Although your log doesn't specifically say that you ran out of VRAM, the warnings about heavy geometry are hinting that way.
    Your GPU using 10GB's of VRAM is no proof that the card didn't run out of VRAM, that could be how much the base load (about 4GB's), the preview cache and geometry were taking - Leaving no room for the textures.

So let's see if I understood correctly: using Iray Preview creates a cache in VRAM, which can interfere with the final rendering of the scene, so the correct thing to do would be after using Iray Preview, save the scene, close Daz (or end the process if the same do not close) open Daz again, reopen the scene and render to avoid possible memory problems, is that it?

What I don't understand is why Daz made the fallback to the CPU. Doesn't Daz fallback if you run out of VRAM? In my case I didn't run out of VRAM, but rendering fell to the CPU anyway! 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,066

Restarting DS before a big render is generally a good idea, yes. That way you're sure that the VRAM previously used has been cleared.

The fallback to CPU happens if the GPU can't be used anymore. Running out of VRAM is the most common case we know, but there are probably other errors causing it. Unfortunately in this case Iray log is not very explicit since it simply lists "kernel[6] failed"...

• Leana said:

Restarting DS before a big render is generally a good idea, yes. That way you're sure that the VRAM previously used has been cleared.

The fallback to CPU happens if the GPU can't be used anymore. Running out of VRAM is the most common case we know, but there are probably other errors causing it. Unfortunately in this case Iray log is not very explicit since it simply lists "kernel[6] failed"...

Just in case, I disabled the CPU fallback in the Iray settings, in addition to unchecking "CPU 0" which is listed along with my video card. If by chance I run out of VRAM or some bug like that happens again with Daz doing the fallback to the CPU, what will my rendering look like? Daz will render everything black or it will give an error, right? Should I kept "CPU fallback" enabled? 

edited April 22

Magic Dragon 3D said:

So let's see if I understood correctly: using Iray Preview creates a cache in VRAM, which can interfere with the final rendering of the scene, so the correct thing to do would be after using Iray Preview, save the scene, close Daz (or end the process if the same do not close) open Daz again, reopen the scene and render to avoid possible memory problems, is that it?

Before saving, change to "Texture Shaded" preview, save and then close DS.

Magic Dragon 3D said:

What I don't understand is why Daz made the fallback to the CPU. Doesn't Daz fallback if you run out of VRAM? In my case I didn't run out of VRAM, but rendering fell to the CPU anyway! 

As I said, that 10GB's may have been the baseload, preview cache plus geometry. There may have been a few GB's of textures yet to put into VRAM but there wasn't space for it anymore = You ran out of VRAM.

Post edited by PerttiA on

Magic Dragon 3D said:

Leana said:

Just in case, I disabled the CPU fallback in the Iray settings, in addition to unchecking "CPU 0" which is listed along with my video card. If by chance I run out of VRAM or some bug like that happens again with Daz doing the fallback to the CPU, what will my rendering look like? Daz will render everything black or it will give an error, right? Should I kept "CPU fallback" enabled? 

If you don't have CPU Fallback enabled and you run out of VRAM, you get a black render. 

• PerttiA said:

Magic Dragon 3D said:

Before saving, change to "Texture Shaded" preview, save and then close DS.

Magic Dragon 3D said:

As I said, that 10GB's may have been the baseload, preview cache plus geometry. There may have been a few GB's of textures yet to put into VRAM but there wasn't space for it anymore = You ran out of VRAM.

Ah, now I understood. So I probably should have run out of VRAM because I had enabled the Iray preview, which created cache files in VRAM and not having restarted Daz before, which was probably the reason for causing the fallback to the CPU. Well, when I get back home, I'll render the 12th scene again and see if it works with the video card or not. 

• PerttiA said:

Magic Dragon 3D said:

Leana said:

If you don't have CPU Fallback enabled and you run out of VRAM, you get a black render. 

Does the black render happen instantly when you render and run out of VRAM, or does it take some time until Daz turns everything black? Because I disabled CPU fallback and rendered this scene as a test on this morning, and the scene itself was normal and not darkened. 

Magic Dragon 3D said:

PerttiA said:

Magic Dragon 3D said:

Leana said:

Does the black render happen instantly when you render and run out of VRAM, or does it take some time until Daz turns everything black? Because I disabled CPU fallback and rendered this scene as a test on this morning, and the scene itself was normal and not darkened. 

The black render comes as soon as DS figures out, there is not enough VRAM, you don't get any picture in the rendering window. 

• PerttiA said:

Magic Dragon 3D said:

PerttiA said:

Magic Dragon 3D said:

Leana said:

The black render comes as soon as DS figures out, there is not enough VRAM, you don't get any picture in the rendering window. 

So probably this quick test I did this morning proves that I wasn't out of VRAM, since I didn't get any black rendering and everything was perfectly normal until then. I'm suspicious that it might be a VRAM cache, especially because the 12th scene is the same as all the others I rendered before, as it's the same scenery, the same two characters (except the facial expressions and posing) and the same lighting! It doesn't make sense for the 12th scene to be without VRAM, as it is basically a copy of the others, and the other scenes had no fallback for the CPU. 

• Guys, last night I finally finished rendering my 12th scene, and I managed to finish the rendering with just the GPU without falling back to the CPU! I monitored everything using GPU-Z and VRAM consumption remained at around 10536 MB throughout the rendering, not exceeding the video card's 12GB of VRAM (although 10GB is a huge amount).

Unfortunately I had to render this scene twice, as the first scene rendered in 1h45 minutes, but when Daz finished rendering everything and I was about to save the image, my PC simply froze and I couldn't do anything other than force it to shut down. I don't know if it was a bug in Windows or Daz that froze everything, but basically this bug made me lose 1h45 of rendering time. The second time everything went well, I managed to save, but after closing Daz, my PC froze everything again and I was forced to turn the PC off and on again.

Do you have the Heat-plugin installed?

• PerttiA said:

Sorry, I don't know what this is, but I don't think I have this plugin installed on my Daz, not that I know of. 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,310

Check Help>About Installed Plug-ins

• PerttiA said:

Does this plugin you mentioned make the PC freeze by chance? 

• Richard Haseltine said:

Check Help>About Installed Plug-ins

I have no access to my personal PC because I'm at work right now. When I get back home, I will see if I have this plugin installed or not. 

Magic Dragon 3D said:

PerttiA said:

Yes 

• PerttiA said:

Magic Dragon 3D said:

PerttiA said:

Yes 

Wow! I'll check my Daz plugins to see if I have this plugin installed or not later. If so, would you recommend uninstalling it? What is this Heat Plugin for? 

• PerttiA said:

Heat plugin
    https://www.daz3d.com/heat-animation-plugin-for-daz-studio-win

I checked on my Daz and I don't have any Heat Plugin installed.