Split skirt that's actually two skirts in one, so that I can convert it

I have a skirt product I'm trying to run through RSSY Clothing Converter - G8F to G9, but the duf file actually loads a skirt and a parented underskirt. Is there any way to split these into separate objects so that the converter will work on them? It won't run on presets with multiple objects, even if you click Force Convert.

I've tried deleting the underskirt and saving the skirt as a wearable preset by itself, but that didn't work. And I just tried to save each item as a Support Asset > Figure/Prop Asset, but that didn't seem to work either.

I know it's possible this won't solve the problem I'm dealing with, which I've also tried to fix in Blender and with SY Detriangulator to no avail, but I'd love to be able to rule this out as a possibility before I give up entirely

Comments

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 241
    edited April 22

Have you tried separating the meshes in Blender and then reimporting them? Export the dress as an .obj, import into Blender, switch to Edit Mode and then Mesh -> Separate -> By Loose Parts. I generally use C4D rather than Blender so I'm not *that* familiar with it but I find Blender often does a better job of disassembling a mesh than the Fracture MoGraph in Cinema. Blender can be a bit over-zealous with its mesh-splitting (although that's generally what I want) and without knowing what clothing you're talking about I can't really offer anything else or guarantee this will work for you.

This is worth a shot if you're absolutely positive that auto-fit is making a complete pig's ear of the job. 99 times out of 100 a high smoothing value will fix it but, if not, there's a another way which involves starting your G9 figure in the G8 shape, loading but not fitting the clothing and then setting the weight maps so that the clothing naturally wants to drop due to the gravity constant and then morphing your figure into base G9 over an animated timeline. It's involved and a faff, and will involve a lot of trial-and-error with scaling as the animation progresses, but you only have to get it right once. I've done this with a few medieval/fantasy items that were beyond borked (technical term) when auto-fitted due to the mesh distortion.

Post edited by TimberWolf on
  • Sorry for accidentally being vague about which product I'm talking about. It's the  Big Bad Red Skirt by Meshitup.

Autofit gives it the groin-impression triangle effect. An export to Blender imports the object as two separate items, but both get the groin weirdness and end up with "hard edges" (solutions discussed here). When I tried to fix the hard edges in Blender and started to smooth things out, I ended up with a mess (perhaps owing to my inexperience with Blender), which is why I tried buying the SY Detriangulator product. That looked like it might work until I ran Dforce and the whole center of the skirt where I'd made the adjustments just ballooned outward.

Hence why I'm back to the drawing board of seeing if I can just run it through a converter.

(And yes, I recognize I could probably sub in a dozen different skirts in my library that look roughly the same, but I just finished 100+ renders for a comic I'm working on and I don't want to go back through them and re-render the skirt for consistency. I should probably just resign myself to dealing with the groin/crotch triangle and paint it out in post, but my brain is obsessing…)

• felisfelis Posts: 3,752

If the underskirt is paranted to the skirt, you can just unparent it and convert individually.

Regarding the crotch triangle it is a regularly seen problem. You haven't said how yoy are converting, as it might have options to limit the issue.

Also be aware if it looks ok on Base G9, then it is an issue caused by projected morph.

You can anyway correct it in a modeller, but exactly how depends on your workflow.

• echristopherclarkechristopherclark Posts: 214
    edited April 22

The RSSY Conversion Script doesn't give me the option to do anything with it before it starts to process, so I can't unparent it and then run the conversion script as far as I can tell. I need to be able to point it at a file and let it go.

The crotch triangle is coming through when I autofit it to the character using the built-in Daz tools.

I'll triple-check to see if the conversion works OK on Base G9. If it does, is there a way to have the item ignore the projected morph when I try to put it on my custom character?

I'm happy to try again at Blender or another modeller, but I haven't had any luck there yet.

Post edited by echristopherclark on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,066
    edited April 22

echristopherclark said:

The RSSY Conversion Script doesn't give me the option to do anything with it before it starts to process, so I can't unparent it and then run the conversion script as far as I can tell. I need to be able to point it at a file and let it go.

Load the skirt in a new scene, remove the underskirt, and save the upperskirt as a new asset. Then use that new asset file for conversion.

In the same way, save the underskirt as its own asset file.

Post edited by Leana on
  • Load the skirt in a new scene, remove the underskirt, and save the upperskirt as a new asset. Then use that new asset file for conversion.

In the same way, save the underskirt as its own asset file.

I'll try that again, but it didn't work the last time. The script didn't recognize it as an item it could convert. I tried it both as a Wearable Preset and then as a Support Asset (though I may have messed up with that last one, not having done it before.

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 241
    edited April 22

Load a base G8F and fit the skirt to it. Unparent the underskirt and fit that to G8F. Now save each item as a support asset - the converter will work on those. If you just load the skirt into an empty scene and split it the converter won't work for reasons I can't yet fathom.

I had the same problem with a barmaid outfit and the converter would not recognise the clothing as, well, clothing until it was first fitted to a figure and then resaved. I suspect it sees them as a prop rather than a wardrobe item, regardless of how you set it up when you save.

(Edited to add - change the vendor and product names when you save as a support asset otherwise the converter may halt with a 'duplicate' error. You can also turn off the error-catching but I'd make your converted version unique rather than do that.)

Post edited by TimberWolf on
  • crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,811
    edited April 22

echristopherclark said:

I have a skirt product I'm trying to run through RSSY Clothing Converter - G8F to G9, but the duf file actually loads a skirt and a parented underskirt. Is there any way to split these into separate objects so that the converter will work on them? It won't run on presets with multiple objects, even if you click Force Convert.

I've tried deleting the underskirt and saving the skirt as a wearable preset by itself, but that didn't work. And I just tried to save each item as a Support Asset > Figure/Prop Asset, but that didn't seem to work either.

I know it's possible this won't solve the problem I'm dealing with, which I've also tried to fix in Blender and with SY Detriangulator to no avail, but I'd love to be able to rule this out as a possibility before I give up entirely

RSSY converters are not able to convert "hierarchical wearables", and they ignore Wearable Presets that are saved by the users. So you just did right by saving them as Figure asset but only some tricks will be needed:

- Unparent that Under Skirt from the root node of BBR Skirt
    - Save them as Figure asset separately with "Your vendor name" but DO NOT save the asset files to "Your Daz Library" ! (e.g. My Daz Library\...) otherwise the Converter won't convert them... Instead, create a new folder under : Daz Library\People\Genesis 8 Female\Clothing\, and save the asset files there. In other words, the "user facing files" have to be in your "Product Library" other than your "User's Library".

- Then add the saved files to Converter, and convert them in the normal way. No "Force Convert" is needed.

As for the "triangulated issue", as I said in the above thread, you can just simply smooth that area by using Smooth brush in Blender and import it back to the skirt as a fix morph (or update base geometry...),  as shown in the screenshots 3 ~ 4 down below...

SNAG-2024-4-22-004.png
    2560 x 1392 - 484K
    SNAG-2024-4-22-003.png
    2031 x 1392 - 317K
    SNAG-2024-4-22-000.png
    2560 x 1392 - 1M
    SNAG-2024-4-22-001.png
    2560 x 1392 - 897K
    Post edited by crosswind on
    edited April 22

Wow. Thank you so much for the step-by-step. I just did the first part and I'm not seeing the triangulated issue anymore either. Is it possible that I don't even need to do that part, depending on what model I'm using?

echristopherclark said:

Wow. Thank you so much for the step-by-step. I just did the first part and I'm not seeing the triangulated issue anymore either. Is it possible that I don't even need to do that part, depending on what model I'm using?

As far as I see, the Converter uses some better templates for conversion so there seems no "trianglated" issue on this skirt. The screenshots 3 ~ 4 just show the fix on the "auto-fitted" skirts.

So you don't need to fix anything if you just use the RSSY Converter. yes

edited April 22

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I will keep these tips in mind for the future, though. I definitely want to get more comfortable with Blender.

Now I just need to figure out the issues I'm having with the hooded cloak I'm occasionally having. Once I figure out how to phrase the problem, I may be back asking more questions. 

Thanks again, everyone!

P.S. It's not the cloak from the Meshitup, in case anyone's wondering. It's the cloak from dForce Brida Outfit for Genesis 9 with some additional morphs on it to lengthen it, which mostly work... until they don't.

No problem ~ pls take your time.yes