Material Simulation Preset?

I probably fail to see the wood for trees: I want to save a material preset only for the simualtion settings. 

I Save as -> Material Preset and select only the Simulation settings. But when I try to apply this to another material it doesn't to anything at all. Can someone help me along the way? Thanks all!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,093

Is there a dForce modifier applied to the target? The preset is for settings, it won't add properties or the modifier if they are not present to start with.

• LauritaLaurita Posts: 196

Yes, it has been  applied beforehand.

Actually, material presets apply to named surfaces - so if the target is a different item with different surface names, then it shouldn't have any effect. If you want a general purpose preset you need to use a Shader Preset, and select the surfaces on the target before applying it (or hold down cmd/ctrl when double-clicking the preset and choose the option to apply to all surfaces instead of just the selected surfaces).

• LauritaLaurita Posts: 196
    edited April 21

Shader Preset. Of course.

Thanks, Richard.

Post edited by Laurita on

Do bear in mind that the way an item behaves is not just a matter of the settings but also of the mesh density - a coarser model (bigger gaps between vertices) will be "stiffer" than a fine mesh with the same values.