Face Burns for G8.1

Hi Peeps.

I was wonderig if anyone managed to get https://www.daz3d.com/hd-face-burns-for-genesis-8-females working for g8.1 or know of a similar product for g8.1? Am mostly looking for some burn scars.

I've been tinkering with it but while the shaping morphs work, there's the normal problem of the LIE not working properly and some of my manual tweaking hasn't yet managed to work. Anyone been down this rabbithole?

Regards,
Terra

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,215

You could create a geoshell for the burns and set the geoshell's UVs to G8. You'd still have to manually apply the torso mats to the body and head (or, since you're interested in face burns, probably just the head).

• terranullisterranullis Posts: 50

thanks for the tip!

i tried the geoshell, but it floats a little off the skin even with the offset turned to practically 0 - anything under 1 didn't seem to have any noticable difference and the textures just hover off the skin.decided this was getting too fiddly so i used photoshop and added the lie to the original textures. this worked.

then i tried using the body burns for g8.1, thinking this would be easy. but it's using the geoshell option and floats off the skin. looks okay from a distance, but i'm doing some close-ups, too. i'd expected it to be LIE textures, because the face burns was. serves me right for not reading product descriptions...

decided to just chuck this render out and try something else instead.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,215

You could also do what I did, and go through the whole process of Map Transferring the G8 maps onto 8.1's UV. The same option is available for G8.1's burns, which use a custom UV.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,028
    edited April 22

terranullis said:

thanks for the tip!

i tried the geoshell, but it floats a little off the skin even with the offset turned to practically 0 - anything under 1 didn't seem to have any noticable difference and the textures just hover off the skin.decided this was getting too fiddly so i used photoshop and added the lie to the original textures. this worked.

then i tried using the body burns for g8.1, thinking this would be easy. but it's using the geoshell option and floats off the skin. looks okay from a distance, but i'm doing some close-ups, too. i'd expected it to be LIE textures, because the face burns was. serves me right for not reading product descriptions...

Hi terranullis,

First of all, thank you for purchasing our products. Indeed, we apologize for the difference in product approach. There was a considerable time gap between Face Burns and Body Burns, and the latter had the benefit of a lot of learning.

While we have it on our to-do list to re-do the face burns so they can be applied via a Geoshell and match better with the Body Burns, I see that you prefer the LIE version. What you can do to decrease the gap between the shell and the skin you are experiencing is to use the preset we included to turn the displacement of the shell off (or you can select all skin surfaces and manually decrease the LIE to something more subtle). Turning off or decreasing the displacement should make that gap between Geoshell and skin decrease or even disappear. Then, provided your character's skin doesn't have displacement maps, you can try reducing the Offset Distance of the shell to something like 0.0010. The burns should still appear, and that gap should be almost invisible.

In the attached example with Kwan 8, I turned displacement off and decreased the shell distance to 0.0010.

~I hope this helps!

Example-BodyBurns2.png
    2154 x 2800 - 7M
    Example-BodyBurns2-02.JPG
    1209 x 1577 - 200K
    Post edited by FenixPhoenix on

FenixPhoenix said:

terranullis said:

thanks for the tip!

Hi terranullis,

First of all, thank you for purchasing our products. Indeed, we apologize for the difference in product approach. There was a considerable time gap between Face Burns and Body Burns, and the latter had the benefit of a lot of learning.

While we have it on our to-do list to re-do the face burns so they can be applied via a Geoshell and match better with the Body Burns, I see that you prefer the LIE version. What you can do to decrease the gap between the shell and the skin you are experiencing is to use the preset we included to turn the displacement of the shell off (or you can select all skin surfaces and manually decrease the LIE to something more subtle). Turning off or decreasing the displacement should make that gap between Geoshell and skin decrease or even disappear. Then, provided your character's skin doesn't have displacement maps, you can try reducing the Offset Distance of the shell to something like 0.0010. The burns should still appear, and that gap should be almost invisible.

In the attached example with Kwan 8, I turned displacement off and decreased the shell distance to 0.0010.

~I hope this helps!

Hi Fenix! Thanks for your reply, it's much appreciated.

I did initially try changing the offset (tried the scripts in the asset, and even manually setting it to something ridiculous like 0.0000000001), but it didn't seem to make a difference unless i set it to negative. At one stage, I set it to negative then applied a smoother to see if it would just sit on the surface. I do use shells for quite a bit, so was a little surprised at this behaviour. But, with Daz, who knows what's happening sometimes?

I did also appreciate that the two products didn't quite match and I was sort of gaffa-taping them to try and get an effect I wanted.

In the end, I thought the only option was to use the textures and apply them to the actual skin textures, but didn't have time to do that.

I didn't try turning displacement off, though and will try that if I attempt the image again. I never thought of displacement. You say the character's skin displacement affects it? I hadn't checked that part. Now I think of it, that'd make sense. I think i was using a Mousso skin base. I'm curious now, so might try it again later this week...

Again, i appreciate you dropping in. :)

edited April 23

terranullis said:

FenixPhoenix said:

terranullis said:

thanks for the tip!

Hi terranullis,

~I hope this helps!

I did initially try changing the offset (tried the scripts in the asset, and even manually setting it to something ridiculous like 0.0000000001), but it didn't seem to make a difference unless i set it to negative. At one stage, I set it to negative then applied a smoother to see if it would just sit on the surface. I do use shells for quite a bit, so was a little surprised at this behaviour. But, with Daz, who knows what's happening sometimes?

I did also appreciate that the two products didn't quite match and I was sort of gaffa-taping them to try and get an effect I wanted.

In the end, I thought the only option was to use the textures and apply them to the actual skin textures, but didn't have time to do that.

I didn't try turning displacement off, though and will try that if I attempt the image again. I never thought of displacement. You say the character's skin displacement affects it? I hadn't checked that part. Now I think of it, that'd make sense. I think i was using a Mousso skin base. I'm curious now, so might try it again later this week...

No, apologies for the confusion. The Burn Shell has displacement on it, which makes the texture look bumpier but, at the same time, makes it float above the skin, which is very visible from some angles. That is why I added a preset that will turn displacement off of it. Just be sure to select the shell when you use it. That will make it so it doesn't float at the cost of some detail (you can always try manually decreasing the displacement strength and min/max values).

In this example, I turned the displacement of the shell off completely and lowered the offset to 0.001 (in order for the displacement to work, that offset needed to be higher. But if the displacement is off, you can have it lower without affecting the visibility of it):

Now, on another point, if your character uses displacement, then having a really small offset with the geoshell might make it not be visible once you render. So, adding a displacement like 0.001 on a shell over a character with displacement may cause it not to be visible in the render. So it's just something to keep in mind. Setting a geoshell with an offset of 0 is not recommended, as it will intercept with your character. And having a negative offset means the geoshell is actually going below the skin.

Post edited by FenixPhoenix on

FenixPhoenix said:

terranullis said:

FenixPhoenix said:

terranullis said:

thanks for the tip!

Hi terranullis,

~I hope this helps!

No, apologies for the confusion. The Burn Shell has displacement on it, which makes the texture look bumpier but, at the same time, makes it float above the skin, which is very visible from some angles. That is why I added a preset that will turn displacement off of it. Just be sure to select the shell when you use it. That will make it so it doesn't float at the cost of some detail (you can always try manually decreasing the displacement strength and min/max values).

In this example, I turned the displacement of the shell off completely and lowered the offset to 0.001 (in order for the displacement to work, that offset needed to be higher. But if the displacement is off, you can have it lower without affecting the visibility of it):

Now, on another point, if your character uses displacement, then having a really small offset with the geoshell might make it not be visible once you render. So, adding a displacement like 0.001 on a shell over a character with displacement may cause it not to be visible in the render. So it's just something to keep in mind. Setting a geoshell with an offset of 0 is not recommended, as it will intercept with your character. And having a negative offset means the geoshell is actually going below the skin.

okay, you've convinced me. i'll give it another try in the next day or two and update here. :)

Yeah, let me know how it goes!

FenixPhoenix said:

Yeah, let me know how it goes!

Okay, if inally got time to try this again.

I have to say, I wasn't entirely convinced, but managed not to kill myself by rolling my eyes too hard when I turned off Displacement and... it worked!

I'd spent hours mucking around with it before and all it took was that one thing.

Amazing.

I'm very happy, as the quality of the images and the product is incredible and it was disappointing to have some (minor) issues. I'm comfortable accepting blame on this, as the script you provide for Displacement says it's for fixing "Poke Through". I will say, I was thinking the issue I had was different to Poke Trough, but I should have clicked it anyway to try. I should know better by now.

Thanks again for your responses, Fenix. It was much appreciated and made my year. Without your feedback, I'd have never used the asset again. I'd been wanting to do a small project with this product for a long time and this really did mean a lot to me.

My pleasure, I am glad the product works for you now as I loath to think anyone who supports us is disappointed by the quality. I have to check whether I included q promo showing what displacement turned off looks like. I usually try to include as much info in promos as possible. But when in doubt, I can always be reached through here. :) Thanks again for the support and I hope your project works out great! :D

Oh, and I forgot to mention. But if you wanted Face Burns that were geoshell applied for Genesis 8.1, these textures would work: https://www.daz3d.com/fpe-universal-horns-add-on-damage-for-genesis-81-male. You don't need the base product for the burn geoshell to work. It comes with some masks already.

We have plans to eventually rework Face Burns, but I'm not sure when we'll get around to that. We still need to work on the Genesis 9 Burns, too. The problem is that I keep getting distracted trying out new products instead of focusing on the ones we already planned, lol. Too many ideas, so little time!