Would You Be a 3D Artist Today if AI Had Existed Then?

Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 760
edited April 18 in Daz AI Studio

I've been creating 3D art since 2009.  I never set out to become a 3D artist, I just never learned how to draw, sketch, or paint. 3D merely looked like the only solution to express my imagination.

I've no idea what kind of artist I'd be today if, back then, AI existed at its current level of progress, but I imagine I would not have even considered touching Daz or Poser.

EDIT: At the very least, I might've saved thousands of dollars on hardware upgrades keeping up with 3D rendering tech.  :P

EDIT2: On the other hand, I'm glad I got into 3D when I did because I can now use my experience to decide how and when to incorporate AI into my workflow for any project.

Post edited by Nyghtfall3D on

Comments

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,273

I have had a long career both in science and graphics.  Being able to make something in Illustrator or to use Photoshop never affected my interest in actusally taking a photograph.  I have friends who are artists; my sister-in-law  is both a jeweler and actress. I don't think she finds the two aesthetic interests in opposition.

• FPFP Posts: 113
    AI exists now and ATM I have very little interest in it. "Evil is not able to create anything new, it can only distort and destroy what has been invented or made by the forces of good.” - Tolkien
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,849

this thread should be in the AI forum, you can edit your post and move it

since I use many forms of media 2D and 3D as well as editing photographs of my real house, family, pets etc for "art" and arranging furniture, figurines  and objects for said photos , I would say yes regardless of order of discovery.

• Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 760

WendyLuvsCatz said:

this thread should be in the AI forum, you can edit your post and move it

Ah.  Thanks.  I didn't know we could move our own threads.  :)

since I use many forms of media 2D and 3D as well as editing photographs of my real house, family, pets etc for "art" and arranging furniture, figurines  and objects for said photos , I would say yes regardless of order of discovery.

yes

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,081

I don't think AI is evil.

I think it's a tool that we need to learn how to use, its use for good or ill is determined by the user. Unlike NFT's, I don't think AI is an inherently pointless product - for goodness sakes, who values & trades actual certificates of authenticity while valuing the product it authenticates as negligible? That's what an NFT boils down to, a digital certificate of authenticity and there is no inherent linkage to the thing it's authenticating. Sorry, diversion ended.

Would I start 3D 'art' if AI existed in its current stste when I started? Without doubt. What I do can rarely be accused of being art, I just enjoy making things with the 3D environment. I do it with CAD at work & much more attractive models while at home. I also make solid, real 3D stuff at home with a lathe & mill. I enjoy making, full stop. 3D figures have a nicer and more rapid output for less input effort than making solid stuff with machine tools. AI may possibly help, but could never be a substitute. I do, also, make 3d solid ouput from the models. That's not possible with current AI. Now, if the AI could go the next step & create printable models from the AI process, that would open up another range of tools to be used or abused.

Regards,

Richard

• If AI existed in it's current form back when I started with DS/Poser, then no, I would not be a 3D artist today.  I started this hobby way back when to make pictures of my RP characters, and I can far more easily do that with AI.  And I feel like what I generate with AI is just "prettier" than what I create with Studio.  AI is all anyone uses anymore to generate character portraits.  No one else I RP with uses Studio, and few use other art mediums.  I keep with Studio as it feeds my artist's soul, even if my work is mediochre at best.  AI is fun to play with for a bit, and then I go back to needing to create something from scratch again.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,041

Most likely, yes.

I like the process of building an image or scene using various 3D items, tinkering with it, and usually ending up with a completely different result from the idea I had when I started working on that scene ;)

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    edited April 18

If AI “animation” (in it’s current form) existed back in the late 1990’s
    when I started animating with poser 4,  I would still have become a 3D animator 
    apsiring to create what I saw being done with Lightwave & 3DS in the late 90’s. 

Right now even those sora AI videos still have everything looking floaty and weightless.
    if however as a still  image artist and confronted with todays AI back when I started
    ( as a child in the 1970's) I would have just used AI instead and the world would not have expected  me to do any different just as we do not expect young people to learn how to “shoe” a Horse or dig a well in 2024. 

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,352

I was modding video games in 2001,  and found poser/daz in 2008.  So 3D has been in my wheelhouse for a while.  But I was a writer and artist long before that.

But a "Make Art" button back then, there's no way this community would even exist in that 'what if' scenario.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758
    edited April 20

Saw this video today and am near the end.

HEATED Debate on the Pros & Cons of AI Art

https://www.youtube.com/live/wpy-HMiehPc?si=XivI5sVsJ6gQ_PMR

Post edited by Griffin Avid on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,803
    edited April 20

Yes, I would. As an artist, I prefer to do things my way.

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

How do you even begin to answer this question?

Are you/we supposed to reflect on the moment we chose to be an artist?

Or the moment someone chose to use Daz? (insert 3D app)

------------------

I chose to be an artist or discovered I had some artsy stuff in me as a little kid.

So basically, if schools put me in front of a tablet running an AI-powered app, would I have stayed in that and NEVER did anything else?

Maybe. err probaly not.

As a child (I assume) you'd be exposed to every kind of art.

So is this modern translation making arts with AI Assisted systems? 

-------------------

I'd probably discover Daz through it's AI counterpart and move towards full rendering eventually.

Assuming everyone is using AI and the DAZ AI grows to compete with all the other platforms.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,397

Yes, I would. I have a background in drafting and construction so modeling was right up my alley. When I became disabled due to a car accident my wife who was already doing this as a profession bought me Rhino and said here, entertain yourself, and what started as a hobby turned into a profession. I then started messing with Poser 5 and then when DS advanced and surpassed what Poser was able to do at the time. I decided to make the switch and it turned into a full-time job since I was no longer able to work a traditional job outside of the house. I did it out of necessity and then it turned into love. Even then if AI was around I wouldn't embrace it because I like to create my own stuff with my own personal touches and the troubleshooting that comes along with it this type of hobby/profession.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

No. I'd stick to painting on canvas.

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579

Nope!

A little over one year into the AI revolution and can honestly say I don't care if I ever see another digital image as long as I live.

I can no longer tell what is made by human hand, heart, imagination or AI.

It makes a difference to me.

I'm sure someone has secretly or not so secretly figured out how to get AI to write a code that generates oh so precious prompts and spews digital froth eternal or as long as the lights are on.

The only bright point in all of this is it has pointed me back to more treaditional methods and arts.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,337
    edited April 21

The main reason why I did not post in this thread yet is:

Not an Artist

I consider myself as Digital Content Creator focused on creating images with various tools and software.

CGI, Generative AI, VFX, photography, vector graphics, are different approaches to create still or moving images.

result-oriented

In many areas people are rewarded for using the tool that yields an acceptable quality in a reasonable time frame.

Sometimes quality is ignored and the quickest solution is chosen.

What matters is the end result. How much heart was invested in the creation process is not a deciding factor.

Ask me this question again in 5 years

In  timeline A

• we can use the 3D models in our library as input for Generative AI.

In timeline B

• the AI translates everything we think about into  IAIR (Interactive AI Reality).

Image Source: slideshare; Keynote by NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang - GTC 2024

My current answer

At the moment my impression is that in the alternate timeline A

• I may learn Blender AI.
    • I may spend some money on licensed assets from Daz AI (3D, LoRA, checkpoints)
    • I may rely on Unreal AI Engine for scenes with high level of detail (LOD, Nanite).
    • I may rely on Adobe AI for image and movie editing.
    • Countless other 3D software solutions were never released.

If wish I could visit my younger self to share some information about the future... 

The other reason why I originally did not intend to post in this thread was because I knew I would spend an hour thinking about it and write an 250+ words essay. wink

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • stitlownstitlown Posts: 278

Interesting question.

To date, with some very minor tinkering and experimentation of my own [because it would be fantastic if AI could do my drawing for me according to my needs & wants], and observing other people's AI outputs, I've found AI very unimpressive [other than the Wow! that was fast! factor]. 

There are some beautiful images I see produced by AI-using artists, but when you look more than glancingly it is quickly an "Ah, that's not real" experience; and there is also a tendency to do a Henry Ford and mass produce 1000 same-same but not really different images along the lines of "m/f bimbo in this setting or that setting" where the bimbos really aren't much different from each other and the settings are not telling any real story, just acting as back drops and props for the bimbo.

Of course, we are in very early days so I expect to see improvement over the next few years.

My test case will be when I can ask AI to draw me a genital-less muscular male angel in a gossamer gown with outspread wings holding a flaming sword in one hand and blowing a trumpet, perched with his toe tips not-quite on a prsitine headstone in an extensive cemetery of traditional graves, lawn cemetery and mausoleums as resurrected spirit-souls rise from their earthly resting place; and it produces something half reasonable which I can then refine (using same AI again and again and again) until it is "just right".

As of my last experiment (months ago now) several different AI tools struggled with the much shorter request of "male angel with flaming sword and wings outstretched".  And if I could diagnose the issue, it was that they searched (or had learned from) vast libraries of images that simply were not good matches for "male angel with flaming sword and wings outstretched" and did not have the simple nous to disaggreate the emements "male" "angel" "sword" "flame" "wings" "outstretch" and re combine them in to something new and unique that fitted the instructions.

The image I've attached which is close to the "request" [and has a few additional elements] was produced circa May 2010 - using studio.

M28.16b.jpg
    3200 x 2400 - 3M