Impressive Movie Photography With Dolby Vision HDR

Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192
edited April 17 in Carrara Discussion

I'm watching the Netflix series "Ripley" and finding many of the scenic shots pretty impressive.  A quick search says they use Dolby Vision HDR, which I think refers to a new "high dynamic range" technique.  Whatever, the shots - in black and white - are pretty stunning.  The Italian landscape and architecture looks great.

https://www.atlasofwonders.com/2024/04/where-was-ripley-filmed.html

Ripley Beach Shot.jpg
800 x 450 - 38K
Post edited by Steve K on

Comments

• FettbemmeFettbemme Posts: 117

it's HDR/Dolby Vision capable displays

DOLBY developed this HDR tech which is sold to manufactures to build displays with Dolby Vision

but the most important part is, what camera was used

you only get out what is in it

bad cam = bad HDR/Dolby Vision on screen

look at Dolby Vision similar to Adobe camera RAW in Photoshop, if you don't have RAW images, no Adobe Camera Raw will be of any use, really

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192

Fettbemme said:

it's HDR/Dolby Vision capable displays

OK, I don't follow all that, but on my consumer Sony flat screen TV, it looks spectacular.  Among the best cinematography I've ever seen.  A LOT of the shots are like beautiful post cards of Italy, even Caravaggio paintings,albeit in black and white, which I love.  Even the interiors are stunning, the dp was apparently allowed to find whatever great camera angles he liked.  And he or she did.

yes

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,192

If Andrew Scott is the lead of “Ripley,” Elswit’s cinematography is the Best Supporting Actor. The man who shot “Boogie Nights,” “Magnolia,” “Good Night, and Good Luck,” “Michael Clayton,” and so many more brings a visual confidence to “Ripley” that’s unlike anything else on TV. He alternates gorgeous shots of one of the most beautiful countries on Earth in Italy with the vast interiors that hide a man like Tom Ripley.

Brian Tallerico, Roger Ebert website

END QUOTE