AI background solid color

MouserMouser Posts: 675

I am trying to get a picture of characters & props but with a solid single color background for some chroma key but no luck.

Has anyone else had any luck?

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,907

I have tried a couple of prompts and could not get any solid color on the backgroud.

I think a content aware editing program would be an option here.

• CdpiersonCdpierson Posts: 70

The closest I've seen is a gradient color without using a background prompt.  The problem is that it's a random color, so if you're looking for a specific color, you're out of luck.  I have noticed that trying different combinations of prompts can give results closer to what you want.  For instance, changing the order of the prompts (bathing woman instead of woman bathing).

edited April 12

I have just edited selection in the Gimp and got this:

Still needs some more edits, but for testing is good for me.

LadyShirt01.png
    1024 x 1024 - 869K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • You might also try adding "greenscreen background" to the prompt (I put it at the end) and that sort of worked.  I use Photoshop Elements for post work and it does a fairly good job of selecting the subject in an image.  Once the selection is made, I invert it and clear the now selected background - assuming it got the subject selected properly in the first place. :)

Lee

edited April 13

I have tried to add "greenscreen background" at the end of prompt and in some cases at the beginning,

but have not received any flat background.

The images generated by AI are still cool looking, for example:

Cyber06.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 406K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • riuken1riuken1 Posts: 128
    edited April 16

Mouser said:

I am trying to get a picture of characters & props but with a solid single color background for some chroma key but no luck.

Has anyone else had any luck?

I get solid background wen I select Victoria 9  on products.  Enven with this description "beautiful radiant colors background" second picture is with Victoria 9 no selected.

Edit: You can still get some image with background try no include background description on the text.

dazai_3e88dadc-fb86-11ee-a75d-a702dcdfccf3.png
    1024 x 1024 - 1M
    dazai_55eaf16a-fb86-11ee-a75d-a702dcdfccf3.png
    1024 x 1024 - 1M
    Post edited by riuken1 on
  • linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,359
    edited April 16

I get solid background wen I select Victoria 9  on products. 

I tested the same  prompt with and without Victoria 9 LoRA .

Adding the  Victoria LoRA does have a high chance to add monochrome backgrounds.

monochrome

"A monochrome or monochromatic image, object or palette is composed of one color (or values of one color)."

Source: wikipedia

solid color

In applications like Photoshop the term solid color implies that the background consists of just one value of color everywhere.

Examples: white: #ffffff; black: #000000; gray50: #808080; crimson: #DC143C;

Solid color backgrounds can be removed very quickly in dedicated editing software.

Monochrome backgrounds provide an additional challenge because they feature many values across several shades of a color.

Without Victoria 9 LoRA:

With Victoria 9 LoRA:

In this example the monochrome color turns out grayscale because of the specific black & white prompt.

My hope or guess is that they might add a slider to adjust the strength of the applied LoRA in future updates of Daz AI Studio.

Those who want a monochrome background would be able to get it by setting LoRA strength to 1.

Those who do not want monochrome backgrounds would be able to reduce the chance of the effect triggering by reducing LoRA strength to 0.6 - 0.8.

Why does the Victoria 9 LoRA trigger monochrome backgrounds?

This monochrome background effect may happen in this example because the Victoria 9 LoRA probably was trained with a lot of promo images who feature monochrome backgrounds.

If the goal is to remove this side-effect then a large number of images with environment backgrounds could be added to the pool of training material.

Inpainting

To be able to create true "solid color" backgrounds advanced features like Inpainting and layers may be required.

Then you could combine the selected subject with a solid color background layer. 

Users may be able to export a selected subject with a transparent background as .png with an alpha layer.

The basic idea of Inpaiting is to draw rough masks around subjects.

I think a content aware editing program would be an option here.

Segment Anything Model (SAM)

One way to isolate the subject from the background with the help of AI is to use a Segment Anything Model.

The user can left click on the subject to add a point in an area that should be selected.

The user can right click on the background to add a point in an area that should be removed.

Maybe they will add a SAM Model when Inpainting is added to Daz AI Studio?

You might also try adding "greenscreen background" to the prompt 

Which solid background color should I use?

Make sure to check or test which background color works best with the application you want to use to separate the subject from the background.

greenscreen - bluescreen

Traditionally greenscreen or bluescreen is used on movie sets to isolate subjects from the background.

The downside of that method is that you may get color bleeding of green or blue color in other areas that also need to be removed.

You may need to check if your preferred application has options to deal with that additional challenge.

solid black

Some software applications interpret a solid black background as transparent.

Can be tricky to work with if your character has a darker skin tone.

If the solid background is not 100% black going with dark monochrome shades may yield worse results than light monochrome shades.

50% gray

Is often used in photo studio backgrounds.

Can yield quick results with certain blend modes in Photoshop if the background color is near #808080

solid white

Aiming for a solid white background color may work for a large number of cases.

I mostly add "white background," to the prompt to generate images with a light grayscale background.

Daz-AI-Studio_prompt-only_ 2024-04-15 141412.jpg
    988 x 621 - 123K
    Daz-AI-Studio_promt_Victoria-LoRA_ 2024-04-15 141412.jpg
    938 x 626 - 102K
    Daz-AI-Studio_Inpainting_promo.jpg
    387 x 491 - 19K
    Post edited by linvanchene on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited April 16

AI can't understand the "director language", as "green screen" or "solid white background", among many other things as "full figure shot" or any camera direction. This AI thing is totally dumb and unuseful to me there isn't any possible control as for directing the shot. It may be good for people who want some nice image as screen saver.

Post edited by Padone on
  • MouserMouser Posts: 675

It would be handy if they could include a chroma key option/button in the interface including prefered background colour or transparency.

Very early days.