Fatal Error trying to use render farm

Hi folks - I'm still pretty new to the Daz Studio lark - so I apologise if this is a stupid question.

I've been attempting to use a render farm as the computing hardware I have available right now is lackluster.

I'm currently trying to use Boost for Daz3D for this on the following server type:
Application : NVIDIA Quadro RTX4000
Plan : NVIDIA Quadro RTX4000x1 (04:53)

However I'm running into a bit of a wall when trying to use the service as Daz Studio keeps coming up with a fatal error:

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\plugins\dzirayrenderer.dll" at 0033:00000000AAA6CFF8

This error isn't coming up when I'm rendering on my local machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 284
    edited April 13

That plan only allows you to use an 8GB card looking at the specs. on the website. This is an old card in rendering terms - Turing architecture and two generations out of date. I wouldn't recommend anyone rent or buy this GPU these days unless all you have at your disposal is a CPU.

There are limitations on what versions of Studio you can use with these plans and I suspect this comes down to the installed drivers on their servers - does your own installation meet their requirements? They say these will work and I'm guessing if you don't use one of these limited options they won't support it:

• Daz 4.21.1.26 (Public Beta - Dec 19, 2022)
    • Daz 4.21.0.5 (released Oct 12, 2022)
    • Daz 4.20.0.17 (released Apr 29, 2022)

https://boostfordaz.infinite-compute.com/catalog

I have a suspicion that your scene exceeds 8GB of VRAM (very easy these days, and you don't say what generation of characters you are using or how complex your scenes are) or your installation is incompatible but as I don't use this service I can't be sure. Get in touch with their helpline - they'll have server logs which will tell you what went wrong.

What is the hardware in your own PC? The Turing RTX 4000 is not something worth paying for in my opinion.

It's definitely not a stupid question - however, the time to have raised your questions would have been before you paid for that service! These forums are generally very helpful and had you asked before you signed up I'm sure people would have steered you towards a different option. Drop Boost an email - they'll be able to sort your problems out and point you to a solution that will work.

Post edited by TimberWolf on
  • amslewisamslewis Posts: 2

TimberWolf said:

That plan only allows you to use an 8GB card looking at the specs. on the website. This is an old card in rendering terms - Turing architecture and two generations out of date. I wouldn't recommend anyone rent or buy this GPU these days unless all you have at your disposal is a CPU.

There are limitations on what versions of Studio you can use with these plans and I suspect this comes down to the installed drivers on their servers - does your own installation meet their requirements? They say these will work and I'm guessing if you don't use one of these limited options they won't support it:

• Daz 4.21.1.26 (Public Beta - Dec 19, 2022)
    • Daz 4.21.0.5 (released Oct 12, 2022)
    • Daz 4.20.0.17 (released Apr 29, 2022)

https://boostfordaz.infinite-compute.com/catalog

I have a suspicion that your scene exceeds 8GB of VRAM (very easy these days, and you don't say what generation of characters you are using or how complex your scenes are) or your installation is incompatible but as I don't use this service I can't be sure. Get in touch with their helpline - they'll have server logs which will tell you what went wrong.

What is the hardware in your own PC? The Turing RTX 4000 is not something worth paying for in my opinion.

It's definitely not a stupid question - however, the time to have raised your questions would have been before you paid for that service! These forums are generally very helpful and had you asked before you signed up I'm sure people would have steered you towards a different option. Drop Boost an email - they'll be able to sort your problems out and point you to a solution that will work.

Hi, thanks for the response TimberWolf.

For a long, complicated and boring set of reasons I'm currently working off of a laptop with a Ryzen 5 Pro CPU so it is impractical to render larger scenes (let alone animations) locally.

I chose a very small test scene of 4GB of VRAM (Generation 9) - so I doubt it exceeds the 8GB.
    I deliberately chose a small scene and the cheap GPU as this was meant to be a test run. (I've spent $0.75 so far so it hasn't exactly broken the bank!).
    Having already spoken to Boost for Daz there don't appear to be any errors appearing on the server end - indeed I've read through the error log myself and as far as the server is concerned all that has happened is that it has lost connection.

To me this looks very much like an error happening with DS as it is the instance of DS that is crashing - not the server. Hence the quoted error being an ACCESS_VIOLATION on a local file.

• TimberWolfTimberWolf Posts: 284
    edited April 14

I have a suspicion this is going to be difficult to pin down...

What's your Daz Studio version? Also can you say exactly which products - character, hair, clothing etc. you have in your scene.

As a test, if you don't mind spending a few cents, could you send a primitive with no additional materials (cube, sphere, whatever) lit by an HDRI or a couple of spotlights over to Boost and see if that works. That will help to determine if the problem is in the interface to Boost or with what you're sending them. The fact that your renders work locally but cause a problem when you try to port them over suggests what you think is happening is not actually happening but it might take a few attempts to determine the root cause.

I wish I had a simple answer for you but no one else responded so the best I can offer is a trial-and-error kind of approach.

Post edited by TimberWolf on
  • amslewisamslewis Posts: 2
    edited April 14

Thanks for getting back to me TimberWolf and for your help. However... I have solved the problem.

The problem was.
    And drumroll please.....

Windows Firewall.

I just needed to put Daz on an exception list.

So it was, indeed, a stupid question. smiley

But at least we got there in the end!

Post edited by amslewis on