Windows 11

I might be miles behind the curve here, please forgive my weak hold of this issue, but is Windows 11 now the preferred OS for most users? Maybe failing that, is it now preferrable for many users at least?  As is to say there are no problems like those that arise whenever these OS' are brand new?

I stuck with Windows 10 when i bought a decent machine 2 years ago but i'm having repeat issues with rendering that just weren't there a year or even 6 months ago, so a change might do me good i'm thinking...

Any comments welcome and indeed invited on this matter, im sure many face a similar dilemma...

Comments

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,307

I went from Win 7 on an old machine to Win 11 on a new. I noticed no difference in the way DS behaved with that jump. Having the ability to load the latest drivers meant I could go beyond DS4.15 to 4.21/22 (I have stuck with 4.21 because there seems little advantage to 4.22 at the moment when 4.21 is working fine).

So, Win10 to Win 11 shouldn't be an issue as far as I can see.

Regards,

Richard.

• CAV_18687CAV_18687 Posts: 75

Thank you #richardandtracy!  No more takers on this?  I may be aloof here but what's the score regarding upgrading from Win10 to 11?  all info greatly appreciated...  No issue is too small or big a deal to comment on...

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,795

If one is using W10, moving to W11 does not fix any issues one may have.

• gfdamron1gfdamron1 Posts: 161

Microsoft is going to stop supporting Windows 10 in October of 2025. This means no security updates, and probably no tech support. At this point all of the initial glitches with Windows 11 have pretty much been ironed out. It makes sense to update to the latest version of the OS with current drivers.

• CAV_18687CAV_18687 Posts: 75

Thank You so much this is exactly what i needed.  #PerttiA, i'm aware that you're pretty experienced, but woud it not clear some of the things that a fresh reinstall of Windows 10 would?  See, I've been lead to believe that a fresh install of 10 could actually sort some issues where the iray render engine is erroneously of the belief that some finite resources are more full or more active than they actually are.  Sorry, that's the best way i can explain it in a reasonable timeframe with my abilities in Windows...   ...however that's definitely a reasonable overall summary of what i was told in more detail....

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,795

What sort of issues do you have?

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 5,313

I just said farewell last week to my old Win10 system that had been with me for eight+ years (six years with Daz Studio).  The reason why I had my system upgraded is simly that I was quite short of disk space on my C drive. Up to now, I've been playing with DS + Win11 for nearly a week, I myself have found niether any new issue nor performance improvement etc. from DS installed in Win11.

So I would say Win 11 brought me nothing exciting at least in terms of using DS....but at this moment, if you think of re-installing Win10, I personally suggest you a no-go other than a go for Win11 directly, unless you decide to skip Win11...

As for "some issues" of iray render engine, better explain the issues concretely. As per my exp., uninstalling Nvidia driver with DDU then re-installing the latest Studio version driver would be worth trying and a better way rather than re-installing Windows system....

• Andrew_CAndrew_C Posts: 87
    edited April 14

Yup, for me the upgrade from 10 to 11 was painless and it works smoothly (no faster but not slower, as far as I can tell). I find the Win 11 UI annoying sometimes, particularly the way you have to associate file types with a program 1 by 1. And the start menu manages to be worse than Win 10's initial start menu. All minor stuff though.

But DAZ Studio works fine & as has been pointed out what with Win10 going out of support next year, If you want to keep up with graphics drivers & IRay versions you'll want to upgrade sooner than later 

Post edited by Andrew_C on