using a notebook as a display for another computer

I was wondering about something.  I was wondering if I can control my other computer with my notebook.   Also if I can how do I set it up so I can use it out of the home?

Basically I want to control a computer from a notebook.

Comments

• SofaCitizenSofaCitizen Posts: 1,605

This would depend on many things, mainly the operating systems involved and if the machines are in the same room, same internal network or in different locations connected via the internet. For anything beyond an internal network you'd have to consider security concerns since you obviously would not want randoms gaining use over your machine.

If both machines are running Windows, I believe there is a remote desktop system built in - although I don't know anything about it. If the computer you want to control is running OSX you can enable this in the sharing section of preferences - this is then handled via the VNC protocol. You can then connect to it via a VNC client - also built into OSX but there should be free versions around for other operating systems.

If the two machines are directly next to each other and the old machine already has a monitor then another alternative could be to use a keyboard & mouse sharing tool so you can just control the other machine from your laptop's keyboard and mouse/trackpad. The one I use is Synergy which used to be free but now is a paid-for application.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,722

SofaCitizen said:

This would depend on many things, mainly the operating systems involved and if the machines are in the same room, same internal network or in different locations connected via the internet. For anything beyond an internal network you'd have to consider security concerns since you obviously would not want randoms gaining use over your machine.

If both machines are running Windows, I believe there is a remote desktop system built in - although I don't know anything about it. If the computer you want to control is running OSX you can enable this in the sharing section of preferences - this is then handled via the VNC protocol. You can then connect to it via a VNC client - also built into OSX but there should be free versions around for other operating systems.

If the two machines are directly next to each other and the old machine already has a monitor then another alternative could be to use a keyboard & mouse sharing tool so you can just control the other machine from your laptop's keyboard and mouse/trackpad. The one I use is Synergy which used to be free but now is a paid-for application.

I think Microsoft has some tool similar to Synergy.