Power Supply in New Desktop Computer

Hello.  I’m considering buying an MSI Aegis R 13NUD-463US Gaming desktop with an RTX 4060 Ti with 16 GB VRAM and 32 GB of RAM - https://www.costco.com/msi-aegis-r-gaming-desktop---13th-gen-intel-core-i7-13700f---geforce-rtx-4060ti---windows-11-.product.4000139263.html.  The computer comes with a 650 watt power supply.  Do you think that will be sufficient to not potentially cause future problems?

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,591

The recommended for that card is 550, so you should be fine

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 482

FSMCDesigns said:

The recommended for that card is 550, so you should be fine

OK.  Thanks much for your thumbs up!!

• pctech4nypctech4ny Posts: 181

You might want to consider more RAM to get full potential of that 16GB VRAM card, as Daz Iray tends to use 2x to 3x the amount of RAM as VRAM used in the scene.

As a former computer hardware tech, I'd always consider a slightly higher wattage or better efficiency PSU to leave a bit of room for future upgrades.

But I understand budget means sometimes you can't have everything you want at least at first.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,410

Personally, I would get a 700-750W PSU to be able to cover upgrades in the future so you don't have to also replace it.

pctech4ny said:

You might want to consider more RAM to get full potential of that 16GB VRAM card, as Daz Iray tends to use 2x to 3x the amount of RAM as VRAM used in the scene.

As a former computer hardware tech, I'd always consider a slightly higher wattage or better efficiency PSU to leave a bit of room for future upgrades.

But I understand budget means sometimes you can't have everything you want at least at first.

frank0314 said:

Personally, I would get a 700-750W PSU to be able to cover upgrades in the future so you don't have to also replace it.

If I were building a PC or buying an already built beast of a PC, I'd go with more RAM and a more robust power suppply, but the referenced PC is an already built item at a good price -customizing is not an option.  As a dabbler/hobbyist (and now retired), I have no immediate need to have/build a beast of a PC at present, but future upgrades are not out of the question.  At present, my Daz Studio (and other 3D programs) PC is a laptop with 16 GB RAM and an RTC 2060 card with 6 GB of VRAM.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,064
    edited April 6

Motherboard specs:
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-B760-VC-WIFI/Specification
    https://us.msi.com/Desktop/Aegis-R-13th/Specification

Intel B760 is described as budget-minded, not high-end like the Intel Z790.

So, for someone looking to modernize their computer setup, without having to upgrade this or that, I see it as a good buy.  But, for me, if I ever buy a new computer, the first thing that always gets upgraded is the memory, because they always build them on the low end, so they can sell them cheaper.

Post edited by Seven193 on

Seven193 said:

Motherboard specs:
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-B760-VC-WIFI/Specification
    https://us.msi.com/Desktop/Aegis-R-13th/Specification

Intel B760 is described as budget-minded, not high-end like the Intel Z790.

So, for someone looking to modernize their computer setup, without having to upgrade this or that, I see it as a good buy.  But, for me, if I ever buy a new computer, the first thing that always gets upgraded is the memory, because they always build them on the low end, so they can sell them cheaper.

I just had a chat session with the MSI support staff and was able to confirm that the motherboard has 4 memory slots and only two are used to provide the 32 GB of RAM that ships with the computer.  So, I have two slots to fill as desired/needed.    :) 

• nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 774

Besides increasing your RAM, you might consider more storage, as the DAZ content directories can get HUGE (mine is > 560GB), and that is not including my scenes and renders.  Plus remember that you will also need backup space somewhere.  I think your Power Supply will be fine as newer generation cards tend to have decreased power reqirements.  What kind of cooling does your prospective system have - air or liquid?  Keeping your components cooler will increase their lifespan, which is why I prefer liquid cooling.  I think you are getting good "bang for buck", especially with the 2yr warranty, but you might consider shopping around and seeing what else is out there.

nakamuram002 said:

Besides increasing your RAM, you might consider more storage, as the DAZ content directories can get HUGE (mine is > 560GB), and that is not including my scenes and renders.  Plus remember that you will also need backup space somewhere.  I think your Power Supply will be fine as newer generation cards tend to have decreased power reqirements.  What kind of cooling does your prospective system have - air or liquid?  Keeping your components cooler will increase their lifespan, which is why I prefer liquid cooling.  I think you are getting good "bang for buck", especially with the 2yr warranty, but you might consider shopping around and seeing what else is out there.

•  The desktop is fan cooled.  Liquid cooled would have been nice but considering the price and the hardware resources already in the system, I'm not complaining.

• The desktop comes with a decent among of internal storage for my needs (1TB SSD and 2TB HDD) as a dabbler/hobbyist.  I currently has two 5 TB portable hard drives (Western Digital) as the principal storage and backup drives, respectively, attached to my laptop and have plenty of available space on them.  All of my Daz Studio and Poser content are on one of those 5TB drives.  I also have an external 5TB drive and a 2 TB drive that aren’t connected that I can use if needed.  The 5TB drive has nearly 4TB still available and the 2TB drive is still empty.  I’m eyeing a Western Digital sale on their 14TB and 16TB external drives.

• I have done some online shopping around since January when I discovered the MSI Aegis at Costco.  It was on post-holiday sale for $1,300 (marked down from $1,600).  It then went back to $1,600 but now the regular price is $1,300.   I have not been able to find a prebuilt desktop or one that can be customized/built with comparable specs for anywhere near the price of the MSI Aegis R, though.
  • nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 774

jjoyner said:

nakamuram002 said:

•  The desktop is fan cooled.  Liquid cooled would have been nice but considering the price and the hardware resources already in the system, I'm not complaining.

• The desktop comes with a decent among of internal storage for my needs (1TB SSD and 2TB HDD) as a dabbler/hobbyist.  I currently has two 5 TB portable hard drives (Western Digital) as the principal storage and backup drives, respectively, attached to my laptop and have plenty of available space on them.  All of my Daz Studio and Poser content are on one of those 5TB drives.  I also have an external 5TB drive and a 2 TB drive that aren’t connected that I can use if needed.  The 5TB drive has nearly 4TB still available and the 2TB drive is still empty.  I’m eyeing a Western Digital sale on their 14TB and 16TB external drives.

• I have done some online shopping around since January when I discovered the MSI Aegis at Costco.  It was on post-holiday sale for $1,300 (marked down from $1,600).  It then went back to $1,600 but now the regular price is $1,300.   I have not been able to find a prebuilt desktop or one that can be customized/built with comparable specs for anywhere near the price of the MSI Aegis R, though.

So you watch the market like I do.  TIme for me to start looking for upgrades to mine.  Enjoy your new system, jjoyner!!